Am I going bald?

Hey guys, I track my hair every now and then to check if I'm losing any hair, I have curly hair and i see some spots where hair parts and i can see the scalp, I don't know if that's some type of balding or if it's natural. Thank you in advance

IMG_20201005_160145.jpg

IMG_20201005_160112.jpg

IMG_20201005_160057.jpg

IMG_20201005_160043.jpg

IMG_20201005_160201.jpg

How old are you? You've got some great hair and if you ever do need hair transplants your curly/wavy type is going to help give you some extra coverage with less grafts than other guys with straighter hair. Its hard to say about that midscalp area with less density, some guys have part lines down the middle of their head, may be easier to tell if you wet your hair down and take pics again, but your temples are thinning a little. Worse case have a doc check for thinning and get you on finasteride to get that under control. Any transplants now or in the foreseeable future would be very risky in terms of shock lossing your native surrounding hair.

I'm 17, I forgot to mention that a few years ago I was on acne medication and I used to apply a cream that really messed up my hairline especially the right temple. Should I brush my hair in the picture with wet hair?

Maybe a bit of thinning which most juveniles experience when moving into adulthood.  I recall going from NW1 into NW2 around 15-16 years old, staying NW2-2.5 until early 20s.

Probably best to consider how older male family members hair has changed over the years, and consider finasteride in a couple of years.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

22 minutes ago, 1978matt said:

Maybe a bit of thinning which most juveniles experience when moving into adulthood.  I recall going from NW1 into NW2 around 15-16 years old, staying NW2-2.5 until early 20s.

Probably best to consider how older male family members hair has changed over the years, and consider finasteride in a couple of years.

My father who is 60 doesn't have any form of baldness, my brother who is 30 has thin hair all around his head, I'd also like to ask if this thinning means that I have male pattern baldness or is that normal? Thanks a lot.

1 hour ago, Aser said:

My father who is 60 doesn't have any form of baldness, my brother who is 30 has thin hair all around his head, I'd also like to ask if this thinning means that I have male pattern baldness or is that normal? Thanks a lot.

It's purely guess work.  Did your bro have similar hair to you when he was 17, and lost it gradually?  You probably have to consider that as the worst case.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

23 minutes ago, 1978matt said:

It's purely guess work.  Did your bro have similar hair to you when he was 17, and lost it gradually?  You probably have to consider that as the worst case.

I'll ask him, thanks a lot. 

2 hours ago, ciaus said:

Yea when you wet your hair try to comb/move it away from the core of the thinning area so that its easier to see where the more dense hair begins.

I'll try that, thank you for the help.

• Administrators

Do you have baldness in your family? It doesn’t appear balding now, but in my experience you’re questioning it, there’s a strong possibility it’s happening.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

3 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

Do you have baldness in your family? It doesn’t appear balding now, but in my experience you’re questioning it, there’s a strong possibility it’s happening.

I have one uncle with baldness on my mom's side, another who isn't, no one on my dad's side is bald nor are my grandparents.

• Administrators
11 minutes ago, Aser said:

I have one uncle with baldness on my mom's side, another who isn't, no one on my dad's side is bald nor are my grandparents.

That’s how my family is, I inherited my uncles baldness. I would monitor your hair in the next few years, if you notice thinning, get on finasteride and minoxidil immediately.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Just now, Melvin-Moderator said:

That’s how my family is, I inherited my uncles baldness. I would monitor your hair in the next few years, if you notice thinning, get on finasteride and minoxidil immediately.

Will do. Thank you.

On 10/5/2020 at 5:21 PM, ciaus said:

Yea when you wet your hair try to comb/move it away from the core of the thinning area so that its easier to see where the more dense hair begins.

I did that but I'm unsure whether or not it is balding

IMG_20201006_211019.jpg

IMG_20201006_211003.jpg

IMG_20201006_210936.jpg

IMG_20201006_210925.jpg

42 minutes ago, Aser said:

I did that but I'm unsure whether or not it is balding

Based on the new pics your natural parting line is inboard a bit and to your left, this pic on the left below shows it the best. Your other pics showing some scalp have you moving the hair a bit outside of that line in either direction to highlight all your visible scalp areas, and those are not the kind of spots caused by balding. Nature isn't perfectly symmetrical covering our heads uniformly, those spots are very small and the hairs that border around them all look strong, no creeping thinning like you see with male pattern baldness.

If you ever do start thinning in the crown and midscalp these will be the places that will show it first and the best. You're fine for now, I'd keep these pics for reference and if you really want to be objective and careful about it maybe take follow up pics every year or two to compare.

image.thumb.png.41f27e0afdb383bc20ab573e30e16335.png

1 minute ago, ciaus said:

Based on the new pics your natural parting line is inboard a bit and to your left, this pic on the left below shows it the best. Your other pics showing some scalp have you moving the hair a bit outside of that line in either direction to highlight all your visible scalp areas, and those are not the kind of spots caused by balding. Nature isn't perfectly symmetrical covering our heads uniformly, those spots are very small and the hairs that border around them all look strong, no creeping thinning like you see with male pattern baldness.

If you ever do start thinning in the crown and midscalp these will be the places that will show it first and the best. You're fine for now, I'd keep these pics for reference and if you really want to be objective and careful about it maybe take follow up pics every year or two to compare.

image.thumb.png.41f27e0afdb383bc20ab573e30e16335.png

Thank you very much, you really helped me. I'll do as you said.