Is it normal to lose 30 strands of hair in the shower when you shampoo every other day?

I shampoo ever other day so one day I shampoo and then the next day in the shower all I do is rinse my hair. I sometimes would loose 10 strands, sometimes 15, sometimes 20 and today I counted 26 strands of hair and I saw about 5 strands of hair yesterday when all I did was rinse. Should I be alarmed like does shedding hair mean hair loss?

Edited by RickieL89

35 minutes ago, CosmoKramer said:

It’s normal to loose or shed up to 100 hairs a day.

Yeah I've read that before. Apparently 50 - 100 hair stands shed a day, but that's throughout the entire day. I sometimes find 25 - 30 strands in a single shower and shampoo session. Is it okay to loose that much at one time if I shampoo every other day?

Industry wise, most believe 100 hairs a day is normal.  There are factors outside the norm, that can also have an effect on shedding.  Stress is one of them.  If this is atypical to what you've experienced so far, go to the doctor and do a full exam. I would also start looking at the hair in your temporal areas and see if you have strands with lesser caliber thickness. If so, I would start considering some type of medical therapy.

Personal hygiene and how you decide to wash has nothing to do with shedding. Shedding will happen randomly to all the hair in your head.  The follicle gets tired of producing and will go into a resting phase. That hair will typically return 3-4 months later.  

Personal hygiene and how you decide to wash does play a factor in terms of how noticeable a shed will be. If you use hair product and wash your hair every other day, it's very likely that you'll notice more hair fall when you do wash due to the previous day's shed still being in tact on top of your head. Especially if you're using a moderate to heavy product that keeps your hair in place, those hairs that you shed on the day you don't wash will still be there when you get around to washing your hair... And it can be alarming to see what appears to be (but isn't) double the hair fall. 

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

17 hours ago, RickieL89 said:

Yeah I've read that before. Apparently 50 - 100 hair stands shed a day, but that's throughout the entire day. I sometimes find 25 - 30 strands in a single shower and shampoo session. Is it okay to loose that much at one time if I shampoo every other day?

I shampoo my hair almost daily and sometimes see 10-30 hairs shed when I do...i just assume is seasonal shedding or cyclical shedding.

I agree with what both @LaserCap & @pkipling commented as well.

On 7/6/2020 at 3:32 PM, CosmoKramer said:

I shampoo my hair almost daily and sometimes see 10-30 hairs shed when I do...i just assume is seasonal shedding or cyclical shedding.

I agree with what both @LaserCap & @pkipling commented as well.

Okay and even thought you lose 10 - 30 strands does your hair feel and look the same? Should I be concerned about finding thin strands of hair in diameter? Also finally what do you guys think about my sides. Do they look thinner or okay? I'm a 31 year old Asian guy with usually thick strands of coarse hair.

Edited by RickieL89