FUE v DHI/DHT

Would I be correct in thinking that, generally speaking, FUE would be less expensive than DHI / DHT with the same surgeon?

If correct, then aside from the cost, is it always better to opt for DHI/DHT over FUE with the same surgeon? Presumably, with the same surgeon, there would be no advantages to using FUE instead of DHI / DHT (aside from cost)?

(DHI/DHT: Direct Hair Implantation / Transplantation)

Edited by Mike_2020

First things first: DHI/DHT are also FUE, but not all FUE is DHI/DHT. 

Depending on the case one or the other FUE method is better (my opinion), but some will claim one is always better than the other. Message: The difference is small compared to other parameters. 

However, most clinics who offer several FUE methods in different price packages are hair mill clinics. From most of them you should run in any case. Most include different teams for the different packages: One option has the surgeon just drawing the hairline while the other has the surgeon doing at least the incisions. This effect is much bigger than the DHI effect. And it makes your initial questions obsolete: It is not the same surgeon with a different method/price. 

Think about that: If a clinic thinks that one method is clearly superior and they still offer both: Isn't that unethical?

• Like 1

I see what you mean.

From the brief read-up which I did, the difference essentially was down to the length of time between when the donor graft/hair is removed and when it is transplanted into the new location.

The DHI/DHT is transplanted directly, hence the "D" for Direct, whereas there is some period of time between the removal and transplantation with FUE.

So, provided the surgeon who conducts the procedure is genuinely highly regarded, it shouldn't be of too much concern that there is a longer period of time between removal and transplantation (if they're not using DHI/DHT)?

Most of this comes down to the clinic's hyper marketing methods...when they give you 2 methods to choose from, both end up benefitting the clinic and not necessarily the patient.

And it's also a way to get your focus off the credentials of the surgeon...so let's face it, the result of your FUE procedure comes down to the experience and proven skill of the surgeon and the results over the long term.

• Like 2

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

I think in FUE the channels are bigger resulting in more trauma to the scalp. Also this prevents grafts being placed as close. DHI allows technically for more density. Although I have seen great results with both , we are talking in general. This is one reason why I believe hasson and Wong switched to DHI and probably promotes this method more now a days. Before they never really would use this method on large cases but I see it more and more. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gasthoerer said:

Interesting, I am not aware that H&W using DHI. Can you share a link?

Joe Tillman who has done extensive work with doctor Wong mentioned it in is last procedure. Also my doctor met doctor Wong at a convention they both attended and they discussed the fact they use the same tools and similar procedure methods. 

I know my doctor started out doing FUT and switched to this DHI method after attending a conference showcasing a particular implanter tool. He switched not because it was easier, actually the opposite. You need way more time and over double the employees to achieve a smooth operation. Also the fact the results were superior, at least in his opinion. 
This my hairline , which all was done in this method. 
https://imgur.com/a/mCbSVBy

I am a believer at least🙂

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mike_2020 said:

That looks fantastic.

What can look so unnatural about some hair lines is that they are so perfectly straight.

I know what you mean. I see a lot of these (even reputable) doctors you see implant in uniformed rows and a direction of the hair to be straight forward. I like my the fact my doctor tried to match the direction on what ever I had left of my existing hair and looked at pictures when I was younger. I believe you have better control of the placement of grafts with DHI. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Guy73 said:

I know what you mean. I see a lot of these (even reputable) doctors you see implant in uniformed rows and a direction of the hair to be straight forward. I like my the fact my doctor tried to match the direction on what ever I had left of my existing hair and looked at pictures when I was younger. I believe you have better control of the placement of grafts with DHI. 

So the bulk of your transplant is "traditional" FUE and it's the front hairline that is FUI - is this correct? You've no FUT?

12 minutes ago, Mike_2020 said:

So the bulk of your transplant is "traditional" FUE and it's the front hairline that is FUI - is this correct? You've no FUT?

It’s all DHI/FUE. All front and crown. Never once considered FUT

• Like 1

Your link states you had 8300 grafts, which is a lot of grafts. Did the surgeon additionally use beard/body hair to obtain this number of grafts, or was it all from your donor on the back of your head?

8 hours ago, Mike_2020 said:

Your link states you had 8300 grafts, which is a lot of grafts. Did the surgeon additionally use beard/body hair to obtain this number of grafts, or was it all from your donor on the back of your head?

It is a lot, but I feel the combination of using 7/8 size punches for extraction and mapping out my donor with a grid every time there was a extraction definitely helped. Everyone will be different and might have different pros and cons to their hair type. My pro is , I have light brown/blonde hair and my skin is light also. This is great combo for transplant patients from what I am told. The con is my hair is thin and probably required more grafts per sq cm to achieve a density I was looking for. Most guys no matter what, if they brush their hair forward can pull off my transplant was a success look. I always wanted to grow my hair long and even brush back. This requires density of almost natural proportions. Otherwise I would be stuck with a shorter haircut and trying to play around with it until I found a style that works for me. Lucky now I can part this in any direction and grow to any length. I am truly amazed at what Doctor Nader has done. 
After a transplant you find yourself looking into mirrors in public locations that you might not have done before. I find when a light is directly above you or in front of you in harsh lights that really can make you transplant look weak. Although I am good now, My first pass was just not enough to make me happy 😃. (No beard hair. all from back and sides it was a very uniformed extraction using .7/8 size punches.) I will say this if my doctor used a size 1. Size punch I would have been In Trouble long ago out of these 3 procedures. 

Edited by Guy73
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Guy73 said:

(No beard hair. all from back and sides it was a very uniformed extraction using .007/8 size punches.) I will say this if my doctor used a size 1. Size punch I would have been In Trouble long ago out of these 3 procedures. 

Do you mean, if the surgeon had been using  a size 1 punch for the first pass, it would not have been possible to go back at a later date and get more grafts? Why would this have prevented it? I've no background in this, so apologies if this is a naive question.

What is the 0.007/8 refer to, is this the punch diameter in terms of inches?

Taking so many grafts from the back and sides of your head, did you find the donor area any different afterwards? Did it still look/feel okay afterwards?

I mentioned before that some hairlines can look unnatural due to them looking perfectly straight.

I was just having a look at the photos in your link and I noticed the photo (shown below) shows your hairline which has a "tooth" design at the front. This probably explains why it has such a natural look at the front. Often I see this designed with a perfectly symmetric line.

70F50CE1-303A-4805-861E-2F9C854255E5.jpe