They say the more hair you lose, the rate slows

Enhancer

First off, I know hair loss is unpredictable and anything can happen at any time blah blah.

But I hear a lot of people say, including some doctors, that for a lot of guys hair loss starts off pretty fast and then slows down.  Indeed I've known guys blow rapidly through the first few norwood levels and be stuck at a NW3/4 for years, sometimes decades, even without medication, and don't start losing the rest until their elderly years. 

Does anyone know why this happens?

Im not convinced this is true.I would imagine like anything that involves an individual and their biological makeup its impossible to predict or equate with others.

Take action from a personal viewpoint in the now and consider the rest when you're doing all you can for yourself.

Edited by Happyout

This seemed to have happened to my dad, started receding at the hairline to about a norwood 3 in his late 20s/early 30s, then stabilized going into his 40s. Now at 64, he has that same hair line shape but his hair his thinned out a bit which is normal given his age now. 

That being said, def don't think this is true for everyone

I was always jealous my dad made it to 92 years and had no loss whatsoever! For me I started losing in my late 20s. And carried on until mid 40s.

there are so many variables involved in hair loss. Thats why it’s so important to get good consultations so you can get a idea where your hair loss is progressing.

I wish we had a hair crystal ball to learn exactly what's going to happen to each of us.  But we don't.  Agree, it is a complicated message and it can skip generations. And, to top it off, it can come from both sides.  This reminds me of high school and learning about X and Y.

Good, (or bad consultations), will not help determine where you'll end up.  Hopefully it will educate you so you can make a decision that's right for you.

• Moderators
On 5/31/2020 at 3:47 AM, Enhancer said:

But I hear a lot of people say, including some doctors, that for a lot of guys hair loss starts off pretty fast and then slows down.  Indeed I've known guys blow rapidly through the first few norwood levels and be stuck at a NW3/4 for years, sometimes decades, even without medication, and don't start losing the rest until their elderly years.

If you start out losing hair fast then at some point in the future it has to go slower. There's very little chance of it speeding up after some point since it's already going fast. It also can't continue at the same rate forever because you will run out of hair, so that means you can make a good bet that it will slow down at some point. Does that mean anything? No. Read the next part for why.

Lets say you start off with 100,000 hairs and start losing you hair and  you lose 10% (10,000 hairs) the first year, so you have 90,000 left. The next year you lose 11% (9,900 hairs) and have 80,100 left. The next year you lose 12% (9,612 hairs) and have 70,488 left. Are you losing more hair each year because the percentage is going up or are you losing less hair each year because the actual amount of hair lost each year is going down? It all depends on how you count it, but what should be obvious after a while is that if you start out with a fast rate of hair loss it will not possible to keep losing the same amount of hair every year for an extended number of years because the supply of hair will not be there.

Edited by BeHappy

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.