Which US hair transplant doctors do quantitative measurements of the hair before transplanting?

In lots of European clinic posted results, I see them include various measurements of the patient - density per sq cm, miniaturization rate, diameter of hair shaft, of the back, sides, and recipient areas. They use these measurements to better plan for the current procedure (mapping out the recipient and donor areas into boxes) which would result in a better long term outlook for the patient.

However, I don't see many (or am simply unaware of) US doctors doing this. Which of the "top US doctors" actually do this? If any of them don't, why is this? Isn't ignoring this information going to be strictly inferior for the patient?

Some doctors prefer to use statistics as a means to measure things. I feel like it couldn’t hurt. But at the same time clinics like h&w don’t seem to rely on a bunch of statistics (at least in their public vids they put out) yet achieve good long terms results with a good chunk of patients. Some docs likely have “an eye” for things.

• Administrators

If you are talking about coverage value used by Dr. Erdogan and Dr. Lorenzo, then not many use these tools. Instead, they create a master plan with your estimated donor capacity and goals. For example, I met up with Dr. Konior in 2018, he reviewed my donor area, and he mentioned that my donor capacity was subject to change, and the best way to approach surgery was being conservative and reviewing my goals again at a later date. 

For example, he recommended I get around 800 grafts, and then returning the next year and seeing how many grafts I would have available. He mentioned that I may be able to get more or less, depending on the appearance of my donor. I think it's important to remember that hair transplant surgery is not an exact science, and while donor capacity estimates are good, they are not fail-proof.

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

2 hours ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

If you are talking about coverage value used by Dr. Erdogan and Dr. Lorenzo, then not many use these tools. Instead, they create a master plan with your estimated donor capacity and goals. For example, I met up with Dr. Konior in 2018, he reviewed my donor area, and he mentioned that my donor capacity was subject to change, and the best way to approach surgery was being conservative and reviewing my goals again at a later date. 

For example, he recommended I get around 800 grafts, and then returning the next year and seeing how many grafts I would have available. He mentioned that I may be able to get more or less, depending on the appearance of my donor. I think it's important to remember that hair transplant surgery is not an exact science, and while donor capacity estimates are good, they are not fail-proof.

I like that slow and "lets see approach." Definitely has the patients long term goals and wellness in mind. I saw old posts mentioning you were looking into adding beard grafts into FUE scars. What did he recommend in regards to that?

• Administrators
12 minutes ago, HTHope said:

I like that slow and "lets see approach." Definitely has the patients long term goals and wellness in mind. I saw old posts mentioning you were looking into adding beard grafts into FUE scars. What did he recommend in regards to that?

He said that is definitely doable and a good idea. I will probably end up going for additional work some time in the future. I am really considering Eugenix, since they have excellent beard hair results.

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.