Pulling out transplanted hairs

I am 2 and a half months in my hair transplant. While I can feel some popping, and see some tiny hairs come to life, I have a question.

Whilst around 85% of my hair has shed, and around 10% kept on growing after transplant, there is a small amount (5%) around say 100 grafts maybe, where the hair just didn't do anything after the transplant. It just sits there and does nothing for 2 and a half months, it doesn't grow, doesn't shed if i rub it, nothing. So, I took tweezers and just tried to pull on the hair to see if it's even still attached to the follicle, and the answer is a big NO. It gave literally no resistance at all, none whatsoever, when I started pulling I got scared since I expected some resistance but it gave away none, and stopped pulling and the hair was still in my scalp halfway out. So I kept pulling on it and it came out of my head with no resistance at all. I tried the same on another hair which did nothing with same results.

My question is, does this mean that this small amount of hairs that did nothing are just dead grafts? Or something else? I saw no bulb at the end of the hairs just black hair completely.

Help would be appreciated.

• Administrators

Why would you pull out transplanted hairs? Did you ask your surgeon if you could?

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

9 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

Why would you pull out transplanted hairs? Did you ask your surgeon if you could?

Lmao, I am not literally daily pulling them out. I just tried it on 2 hairs to see why they weren't growing nor shedding for 2 1/2 months. And even If I did kill it, I won't cry over 2 grafts. Just want to know what's going on.

• Administrators
1 minute ago, Lohvisa said:

Lmao, I am not literally daily pulling them out. I just tried it on 2 hairs to see why they weren't growing nor shedding for 2 1/2 months. And even If I did kill it, I won't cry over 2 grafts. Just want to know what's going on.

Well, that’s a rare phenomenon. I wouldn’t pull them out until you get cleared from your surgeon. Can you post pics? I want to bring this issue up to some surgeons, to receive clarification as to why this happenes.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

44 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

Well, that’s a rare phenomenon. I wouldn’t pull them out until you get cleared from your surgeon. Can you post pics? I want to bring this issue up to some surgeons, to receive clarification as to why this happenes.

csa.jpg.62cbb1cc82e931cd8e9e1d479b729e5d.jpgcsa2.jpg.41cafccdff2bbb8ac08fd87406c9f9e2.jpg

46 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

Here, got one out for medical purposes xD. Won't be doing it anymore, I just want to leave them be and I suppose theyll shed or grow when they're ready. I would also like to know why this happens, is it dead grafts due to inexperienced implantation, or just follicles shocked/deeply asleep because being out of the head for so long. If they tell you why it happens, I'd like you to let me know..

They are called disconnected transplanted hair
Another part of the hair will not grow because it is already completely disconnected.  The detached hair is detached internally and is not intended to grow, but will have to fall out to allow the new growth that pushes from below, generated by the transplanted bulb.  To recognize a disconnected hair, one month after the transplant, it is sufficient to evaluate its regrowth for a couple of weeks (if it remains the same in length, especially compared to the others, then it is disconnected!).  It may happen that this disconnected hair does not fall on its own (as hopefully) but remains attached to the skin for months, preventing the leakage of the new underlying hair.  In this case, when the phenomenon was recognized precisely for the characteristics described above, yes you can try to remove the disconnected hair by pulling it very gently with tweezers (almost no force is enough, because the hair is not tied to the bulb), thus facilitating the future leakage of healthy hair.  If you accidentally pull a functional hair, do not worry, the follicle is under the skin and will produce a new one.  But if you see that the hair offers tensile strength, then it is not a disconnected one and you have to leave it where it is.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

It's dead hair that was shed from the follicle(s) going into a resting phase...eventually you would have removed this dead hair anyway by simply washing your hair routinely.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

• Moderators

These are hairs that should have shed, but haven't fallen out. Sometimes a more rigorous rubbing when showering will get them to come out and sometimes you will just have to wait a little longer until the new hair underneath starts growing and pushes them out. It's all normal.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

22 hours ago, Egy said:

They are called disconnected transplanted hair
Another part of the hair will not grow because it is already completely disconnected.  The detached hair is detached internally and is not intended to grow, but will have to fall out to allow the new growth that pushes from below, generated by the transplanted bulb.  To recognize a disconnected hair, one month after the transplant, it is sufficient to evaluate its regrowth for a couple of weeks (if it remains the same in length, especially compared to the others, then it is disconnected!).  It may happen that this disconnected hair does not fall on its own (as hopefully) but remains attached to the skin for months, preventing the leakage of the new underlying hair.  In this case, when the phenomenon was recognized precisely for the characteristics described above, yes you can try to remove the disconnected hair by pulling it very gently with tweezers (almost no force is enough, because the hair is not tied to the bulb), thus facilitating the future leakage of healthy hair.  If you accidentally pull a functional hair, do not worry, the follicle is under the skin and will produce a new one.  But if you see that the hair offers tensile strength, then it is not a disconnected one and you have to leave it where it is.

Amazing answer! Thank you very much for the explanation. It makes a lot of sense. So there is still a chance of new hair growing out of these follicles. Awesome!

On 3/13/2020 at 6:36 PM, BeHappy said:

These are hairs that should have shed, but haven't fallen out. Sometimes a more rigorous rubbing when showering will get them to come out and sometimes you will just have to wait a little longer until the new hair underneath starts growing and pushes them out. It's all normal.

I agree...you are spot on my friend!

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY