Smokers and HT question

So I have a surgical procedure in one week and of course they want you to stop.

did any of you actually stopped and for those that didn’t , was there any complications? As you know it is not an easy thing to do , to just stop.

would you at least suggest a patch for the last few days?

thank you

I was smoking a pack a day. A week before my procedure I started vaping and since the day of procedure haven’t smoked going to be 1 month since my last cigarette and 3 weeks since I vaped.

Ive also been planning on quitting for the longest and I found an excuse for it also my wife kept annoying me about it lol

Edited by Tbcruz

• 2 years later...

Think about the fact that you are about to have a surgical operation on which your health depends. It's worth it to quit smoking for a while. I know it's not easy, but there are ways to deal with this need. First, try a nicotine patch. Secondly, find something you like in UK vaping and replace cigarette smoke with steam. I am confident in my advice because it once helped me quit smoking in 2 weeks. I still prefer vaping even though I am no longer addicted to nicotine. Maybe I'm just used to testing different flavors of liquids and pods, so now I don't want to stop.

Edited by HerveyFults

Cahustler,

Your hair transplant clinic most likely told you to stop smoking before surgery because it can thin the blood.   As a result, it makes surgery more difficult. Therefore, I strongly recommend you following your  clinic’s advice.  This will assure you get the best result at that clinic.

Best wishes,

Bill

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

I would also recommend finding a way to stop before the surgery, though I will say that the amount of time you need to stop varies from surgeon to surgeon. The longer you go without smoking before the procedure, the better, but even it it's just a few days before, that's better than nothing and your body will benefit from it. Regardless, I would suggest following your surgeon's advice (even though it's hard, it'll be worth it - and may even spark a permanent quit!) - and if a week really isn't doable, just be honest with your surgeon and see what input he has for you.   

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

I personally don't smoke cigarettes myself but shisha/water pipes and i tried to stop at least a week or so before and i have not been smoking since. I'm actually trying to wait for as long as possible because apparently smoking restricts the blood flow to the area and for newly planted grafts, you do want to maximise bloodflow to the area to help them. 

It will probably be very difficult, but ultimately its up to you to decide how much stopping or not to maximise your HT outcome is. Some people wait 3 months and start again, whilst some will just reduce their smoking from previous.