Dr. Lindsey receives grant to study hair vascularization

I posted a few months ago that I had applied for a grant to see how exactly hairs get vascularized after placement. I THINK its by a process called plasmatic imbibition, similar to what happens with skin grafts. One of our residents and I did a pretty thorough literature search and couldn't find anyone has really looked into this. So, we applied to the ISRHS and will be awarded this week a grant to investigate this.

I expect to have results by next spring and if I am correct, and if we are able to see blood vessel ingrowth, the next phase will be to investigate SMOKING's effect on blood vessel ingrowth to hairs that have been transplanted.

I'll periodically put up any news related to this project. It will take until October to get institutional approvals for the experiments.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Congrats! Look forward to seeing where you take things.

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

Essentially we are taking an animal model, rodent of some sort, and doing a small 20 graft transplant. Then we kill the animal at day 1, 3, 5, 7, 9 and histiologically look at blood vessel ingrowth. In skin grafts, new blood vessels grow in in about 5 days. It will take very few rats to show this.

Then, if this is successful, we can try the same experiement with a variety of variables, such as nicotine, low light laser therapy!!?, vasodilators, copper peptides...

You must realize, we aren't splitting the atom, but rather focussing on a short experiment to answer a focussed clinical question. I expect, and hope, that we can accomplish something worthwhile.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

This manuscript may provide some useful ideas, especially in terms of design and measurement. Also, some good preliminary data perhaps to help you with sample size estimates and expected effect estimates.

Control of hair growth and follicle size by VEGF-mediated angiogenesis

Kiichiro Yano1, Lawrence F. Brown2 and Michael Detmar1

1Cutaneous Biology Research Center, Department of Dermatology, Massachusetts General Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Charlestown, Massachusetts, USA

2Department of Pathology, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center and Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts, USA

http://www.jci.org/articles/view/11317/version/1

Dec. 2004 - 1938 Grafts via Strip

Feb. 2009 - 1002 Grafts via FUE

Originally posted by Fookinhair:
Then we kill the animal at day 1, 3, 5, 7, 9

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

I have a question. How do you get the dead animal back to life again after killing it at days 1,3,5 & 7? icon_confused.gificon_wink.gif

I heard mouth to mouth

Im sure if Jesus could raise Lazarus from the dead Dr Lindsey could raise a rat

• 12 years later...