Am I balding?

Throwaway

Hi all,

I (male, 20) did a steroid cycle last year november of testosterone enanthate 500mg (yes I do bodybuilding). Within a few weeks I felt like my hairline receded a bit and I was seriously depressed about it (still am), obsessing over it all day, cant focus on anything AT ALL. So I don't have a family history of balding. My mothers side no one is bald, only my moms dad (80) has a bit thinner hair on top, but still a normal hairline. cant really tell if my hairline changed but my hair got thinner on my cycle for sure. just want to know, was this some kind of "shock loss"/ telogen effluvium or is this mpb? What do I do now...

Here are some pics (2018 vs now)

https://gyazo.com/d6e7a1177d5c62a1d82dd90d6366081b

https://gyazo.com/0b5d8d41b961a28f43ccf5d743b1f768

thanks

Edited by Throwaway

Difference is almost non-noticeable. I think most steroids are DHT based so if it really bothers you get on a small dose of finasteride (0.25mg). You should have a ton of test in your system at your age so there is no need for steroids.  I'm sure you did your homework on steroids, but in case you didn't they will bring out other disorders that were in your family ie heart, kidney, liver so you can potentially be dealing with a lot more serious conditions than hair loss later on.

• Like 2

It's hard to say, but the extra DHT could have accelerated reseeding, it could also just be a coincidence that your MPB kicked in at your age as it happens at different ages for everyone. Only way to find out is to get off your cycle for a while and see if shedding stops or pay for a blood test to check your DHT levels.

• Administrators

At 20, I hate to say this, but your hair loss is already beginning. You have the male pattern baldness gene, that is obvious. I would highly suggest stopping steroids immediately and getting on finasteride, minoxidil and doing microneedling. 

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Hard to tell from the photos you posted.  It would be nice to see a photo from the top.  It could be you are maturing your hairline.  

You did say your mom thinned.  That could be the culprit. You also indicated taking testosterone.  That too could have initiated things.  The more testosterone, the more DHT which we know is what causes hair loss.  Stop the testosterone.  At your age, I'll bet, you have plenty.

I would start by taking photos on a monthly basis and keep record of what's happening.  The fact you have waviness in your hair helps you density wise as it gives lateral coverage.  Make sure to get a brush and pull hair apart so you have a better idea as to what's happening. 

Propecia, Rogaine, Laser and PRP are typically the modalities we refer to when dealing with this condition.  Talk to your doctor about them and consider taking/using them.  They work in different ways and tend to get optimal results when used simultaneously.

Lastly, there are two types of loss.  Telogen effluvium, as you call it, is just plain shedding.  This is normal.  Most believe 100 hairs a day is the norm.  (The follicle gets tired of producing and it takes a vacation.  It will then resume its duties 3-4 months later).  Hair loss is a different type of loss.

You do not see hair loss.  The shaft of the hair miniaturizes until it disappears.  Once gone, it will never return.  So, when I read "I notice," I automatically know it refers to shedding or the improvement of the hair.  That is, the medication can help enhance hair.  There is nothing out there that regrows hair.  

• Like 1

Hmm alright, thanks for the answers. I attached a photo. Tho, I do have to note that I already have had a high hairline since I was a kid. Again no one in my family has mpb, my moms dad only has a bit thin hair on top, but its still a M hairline.

Snapchat-1345527610.jpg

MPB is complicated.  It can come from both sides of the family and it can skip generations.  From what you've written it seems this may be coming from the maternal side.  Bet your loss has been so gradual you haven't noticed how pronounced your temporal points are.  This, perhaps, is a bit more than just maturing your hairline. Set up an appointment with a derm or your favorite hair transplant surgeon and have them put you on a medical regimen to help you with retention.  I should point out, the meds are meant for you to retain.  Thus, if years later you look the same, the meds did what they were supposed to do.  

12 minutes ago, LaserCap said:

MPB is complicated.  It can come from both sides of the family and it can skip generations.  From what you've written it seems this may be coming from the maternal side.  Bet your loss has been so gradual you haven't noticed how pronounced your temporal points are.  This, perhaps, is a bit more than just maturing your hairline. Set up an appointment with a derm or your favorite hair transplant surgeon and have them put you on a medical regimen to help you with retention.  I should point out, the meds are meant for you to retain.  Thus, if years later you look the same, the meds did what they were supposed to do.

Well, thing is, before my anabolic cycle I didn't notice anything weird about my hairline. A couple weeks in my cycle of testsoterone I noticed my hair gor pretty thin and my hairline looked weird kinda receded but not really noticable...

Im going to make an appointment with my doc. Thanks :)

here is another pic. (This was on my testosterone cycle, 2 months ago)

Snapchat-1299351084.jpg

Edited by Throwaway

15 hours ago, brill said:

It's hard to say, but the extra DHT could have accelerated reseeding, it could also just be a coincidence that your MPB kicked in at your age as it happens at different ages for everyone. Only way to find out is to get off your cycle for a while and see if shedding stops or pay for a blood test to check your DHT levels.

Yes shedding definitely stopped a while after my cycle and my hair overall feels a bit fuller now than it was while on cycle 2 months ago (where my hair got fucked). It's weird.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

It does look like you are at the early stages of mpb but dude, at 20, don’t use steroids (I’m not against responsible use of gear & TRT If over 30-ish and 40+ and in a T off-balance, but you are in your prime and could be doing more harm to your hormonal balance than is worth it.

• Administrators
On 1/29/2020 at 9:28 PM, Throwaway said:

Hmm alright, thanks for the answers. I attached a photo. Tho, I do have to note that I already have had a high hairline since I was a kid. Again no one in my family has mpb, my moms dad only has a bit thin hair on top, but its still a M hairline.

Snapchat-1345527610.jpg

Looks like the same hairline I had at 20, 9 years later it was gone. Don’t go by family history, that’s not fool proof, my dad and bro are 62 and 42 and neither is bald. 

29F681ED-BE1F-4907-9220-B7D9265DCFB4.jpeg

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.