Is temple recession/thinning separate from traditional MPB?

Hey all,

Just wondering if temple thinning is a standard character of traditional balding?

My temples have grown quite thin, and I'm scheduled to have a transplant, but I'm worried it may mean I have a different class of loss that could hinder my results.

Just for clarity I mean the temporal points (I think that's the correct term) - i.e. in line with the eye brows.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by bonkling

Post photos and I am certain you'll get responses.

Temporal recession can mean loss or it can just be maturing a hairline.  If you are older, it is likely loss.  If very young, perhaps it is in the process of maturing.  

"Results" is a function of many things.  Quality and quantity of native hair, use or non-use of medical therapy, type of pattern, experience of surgeon, design and graft numbers and a multitude of other factors.

8 minutes ago, LaserCap said:

Post photos and I am certain you'll get responses.

Temporal recession can mean loss or it can just be maturing a hairline.  If you are older, it is likely loss.  If very young, perhaps it is in the process of maturing.  

"Results" is a function of many things.  Quality and quantity of native hair, use or non-use of medical therapy, type of pattern, experience of surgeon, design and graft numbers and a multitude of other factors.

Hi Laser,

I'm a bit older (early 30's) - so I think it's loss.

My frontal sides/temporal points seem to have thinned, and I'm not sure if it's characterised as MPB - or maybe a more un-patterned alopecia.

Screenshot_20200104-131207.png

13 hours ago, bonkling said:

Hi Laser,

I'm a bit older (early 30's) - so I think it's loss.

My frontal sides/temporal points seem to have thinned, and I'm not sure if it's characterised as MPB - or maybe a more un-patterned alopecia.

Screenshot_20200104-131207.png

MPB, alopecia, or whatever you want to call it, is all hair loss. 

While it is true medical therapy like Propecia and Rogaine seem to be far more effective towards the back, they can still help you with retention.  The problem I find, and it has a lot more with people, is the fact that most are under the impression - if they can not see a visual difference - the medication is not working.  The medications are intended for you to retain, not to gain anything.  In a small percentage of individuals there can be enhancement of the native hair.  Thus, when people say the medication tends to be more effective toward the back it is because the patients did experience the noted benefit. The meds, thus, may also be helping with retention in the front.

I would encourage you to get on all modalities so you can slow down the loss.  (Propecia, Rogaine and Laser therapy and perhaps even PRP).

If you do decide to reinforce the hairline area, have the doctor blend some grafts to the area behind it to avoid the "island" effect.

• Administrators

For full disclosure and transparency, I have had to hide some responses made from a physician. Apparently, this physician was affiliated with another clinic, and some of the information he has been providing has been brought into question. I need to research this a bit further and speak with the physician and the clinic, until further notice some of his responses that give personal experience information will be hidden. 

Best wishes, 

Melvin 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.