As an Asian, should I seek a doctor who performs HTs primarily on Asians?

Many of the HT doctors in the US seem to primarily operate on non-Asians. As a Chinese American, if I'm trying to get the best results and a natural looking hairline, should I look for doctors who operate mostly on Asians? For example, should I be looking outside the country, like in South Korea? Any advice is appreciated!

Hello , I am Dr Abhinav Kumar , a patient of 3 FUE hair transplant and FUE hair transplant surgeon myself in India. I m not an ISHRS member but attended my first ISHRS conference in Bangkok this year. I am a doctor in the process of getting ISHRS membership. I have written a text book on FUE hair transplant as one of the co-authors who has majorly contributed in the text- "Step by Step Hair transplantation". I have an experience of doing more than 200 independent FUE surgeries with great results and assisting more than 500 cases. First and foremost understanding of race is critical for a hair transplant surgeon- for example  Negroes don't have deep frontotemporal angles and lack crown whorl, People of korean and east asian orgin, require an aggressive hairline and dont like a mature hairline. The forehead is flat in East Asians, the hairline needs to be flatter.  The hair texture is more silky in East Asians and hair is usally straight. Understanding of these finer points is critical apart from analyzing the donor number, the approach of surgery - FUE or FUT, family history of baldness, patients expectations and finally what you want. An experienced surgeon irrespective of the place of origin and who can show that he has done east asians to some satisfaction is the right criteria. Dont go by just degree, go by the approach of the doctor, whether it justifies your brain, consistency of the results.

Edited by Dr Abhinav Kumar
  • Like 1

• Administrators
10 hours ago, gemini said:

Many of the HT doctors in the US seem to primarily operate on non-Asians. As a Chinese American, if I'm trying to get the best results and a natural looking hairline, should I look for doctors who operate mostly on Asians? For example, should I be looking outside the country, like in South Korea? Any advice is appreciated!

I don't think the race of the doctor has anything to do with it, you should be focusing on a doctor who understands the subtle differences in hairlines of different ethnicities. My doctor happened to be Asian, and I'm not, but he understood the differences in hairlines and was able to give me a hairline that fit me perfectly.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

1 hour ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

I don't think the race of the doctor has anything to do with it, you should be focusing on a doctor who understands the subtle differences in hairlines of different ethnicities. My doctor happened to be Asian, and I'm not, but he understood the differences in hairlines and was able to give me a hairline that fit me perfectly.

Hey @Melvin-Moderator, I didn't mention anything about the race of the doctor, but rather the patients they treat. Presumably doctors in South Korea predominantly treat Asian patients and so I wonder if that means Asians would get a better result by going there.

• Administrators
2 hours ago, gemini said:

Hey @Melvin-Moderator, I didn't mention anything about the race of the doctor, but rather the patients they treat. Presumably doctors in South Korea predominantly treat Asian patients and so I wonder if that means Asians would get a better result by going there.

No I don't think that matters, as previously stated what matters is the surgeons understanding of the principles in creating aesthetic hairlines. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

I agree Melvin...most good reputable HT surgeons have done procedures on an entire cross section of various ethnicities.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

The , knowledge , skill and experience of that surgeon could be your next door neighbour in this instance. 

Then again you might have to travel half way round the world to find that surgeon.

Im a Caucasian myself and  I could have chosen plenty of top doctors in Europe , however I travelled to India for my HT

Try not to let distance, ( in  your case near or far  )   or cost of the HT cloud your overall judgement .

.....Paddy....

I agree...it's results that count!

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY