Donor looks crappy after a number 3 guard

Never noticed this before because when it grows longer I cant see any scalp on the back or sides, but yesterday I had the back and sides cut to a number 3 and it looks pretty bad. I know lighting plays apart, this is with mobile phone flash on but would this maybe make me a bad transplant candidate? It looks kind of greasy maybe that is part of it.

To see how it looks longer i've timestamped this video and it looks a lot thicker:

IMG_20191221_222605.jpg

IMG_20191221_230625.jpg

IMG_20191221_230700.jpg

IMG_20191221_230756.jpg

Needs a hair doctor to take a look.  This might just be low density donor hair.

Interestingly your hair is quite wavy and provides good coverage when grown out.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

5 hours ago, HairGone29 said:

so would that rule out a transplant?

No but you may have to go FUT and be prepared to keep your hair long, forever, or the scar may be visible.  I fear FUE would just thin it out too much.

Does anyone have any pics of others with a number 3 cut under similar lighting to compare? As not sure if its weak donor or just because its been cut so short, but not so short that hair cant clump together making it look worse, if that makes sense. I wonder if a 1 guard would look better

35 minutes ago, HairGone29 said:

Does anyone have any pics of others with a number 3 cut under similar lighting to compare? As not sure if its weak donor or just because its been cut so short, but not so short that hair cant clump together making it look worse, if that makes sense. I wonder if a 1 guard would look better

Not really, judging by your pictures you have thinning in your donor, consult with a dermatologist they will be able to assist you better, you might have DUPA, you could try something like minoxidil, good luck.

So ive taken some more pics plus a video, this time under natural (lightbulb) lighting and less greasy. Thoughts?

Here is the video: It seems to look worse if i rub it 'against the grain'

2019-12-23_22-15-30.thumb.jpg.202a85d4e01457dcf92d918417bbf7cb.jpg2019-12-23_22-16-33.thumb.jpg.87abb51e8a8655dd9f110253f0d337e0.jpg2019-12-23_22-16-54.thumb.jpg.526dbdcb80ab7d18effd4e790ff77836.jpg2019-12-23_22-16-05.thumb.jpg.0d92ab9d5f4540c87959a9dfb85da2b3.jpg

2019-12-23_22-15-39.jpg

2019-12-23_22-18-11.jpg

Edited by HairGone29

Only microscopic evaluation will cut it I'm afraid. 

I still think this may just be natural low density hair rather than DUPA. 

• Administrators

I agree, I don't think it's DUPA, but I definitely think you need to visit a surgeon for an evaluation. I don't think guys realize just how important seeing a surgeon face to face actually is, where do you live?

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

5 hours ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

I agree, I don't think it's DUPA, but I definitely think you need to visit a surgeon for an evaluation. I don't think guys realize just how important seeing a surgeon face to face actually is, where do you live?

England. Was planning to go with Dr Demirsoy. When the hair is more grown out no scalp is visible.

I did have a consultation with Dr Ball at the Maitland clinic a year ago and he never said anything about my donor being weak. But im not sure how thorough he was, he used the microscope thing to get some readings to find how many singles, doubles, triples etc were in the area.

14 hours ago, HairGone29 said:

England. Was planning to go with Dr Demirsoy. When the hair is more grown out no scalp is visible.

I did have a consultation with Dr Ball at the Maitland clinic a year ago and he never said anything about my donor being weak. But im not sure how thorough he was, he used the microscope thing to get some readings to find how many singles, doubles, triples etc were in the area.

He's a quality doctor so that's a good sign. May be worth a second opinion with Farjo for example, or Reddy. 

I think DUPA tends to be a bit patchier whereas your thinness looks uniform across the board. 

I wonder if Nizoral has contributed to the thinness. That said i've been using it once or twice a week for about 7 years lol so any damage it may have done is probably permanent.

Here's a pic with grown out hair. Hardly a strong test but if i pinch and pull hard on hairs on the back of my head i'll maybe pull one hair out per 5 attempts, it seems a lot more 'stuck' in my scalp than crown and temple hair.

Farjo clinic I dont think operates anymore, Reddy is an option down at Harley Street London.

hair5.jpg

• Administrators

Farjo clinic still operates, and Dr. Reddy is a top doctor. I would definitely pay both a visit.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.