Alternative inflammation of scalp to help promote hair growth

Microneedling is used partially to help inflame the scalp so that blood can more easily reach the area to help the hair grow/regrow. But for many, it only lasts a few hours before the inflammation calms down and it looks normal again.

So I was thinking, something like using a scouring pad (or even fine-grit sandpaper) to scour the area and 'redden' just the surface layers of scalp skin for a day or two. Could that work in helping blood stay in the area longer? Has any research been done in this area?

Edited by hair4tomo

I have never heard of any studies or research done using more abrasive devices than micro needles to cause more long acting inflammation. Might be something worth looking into. Maybe we will start seeing more people walking around with their own micro needle device and using it several times a day. For example walking down the street or at work while sitting at their desk. lol 

5 hours ago, hair4tomo said:

Microneedling is used partially to help inflame the scalp so that blood can more easily reach the area to help the hair grow/regrow.

Can you quote any research supporting this statement ?
Inflamatiion is a secondary effect (as well as muscle catabolism when you workout). I do not think it is necessary and it can be potentially harmful because inflamations are related to hair loss.

• Like 1

If you rince cold water on your scalp for 2 minutes this will cause more blood to flow there. 

As always a good balanced diet with lots of nutrients will greatly help.

Drinking plenty of water will increase the  circulation and blood flow.

All the best 

......Paddy....

• Like 1

23 hours ago, duchaine said:

Can you quote any research supporting this statement ?

That caught me off guard. Thanks for questioning one of my core assumptions. Indeed, I'm not so sure after all, despite the somewhat intuitive idea that more blood in and around the hair follicle will provide it nutrients. According to this paper, there are theoretically three mechanisms to prevent hair loss via microneedling:

• Release of platelet derived growth factor, epidermal growth factors are increased through platelet activation and skin wound regeneration mechanism

• Activation of stem cells in the hair bulge area under wound healing conditions which is caused by a dermaroller

• Overexpression of hair growth related genes vascular endothelial growth factor, B catenin, Wnt3a, and Wnt10 b.

None of them mention inflammation.

I think it's a combination of things that made think it. Hearing it online, and in that paper, how the technique they used for the subjects is to use dermaroller until mild erythema (reddending) is noticed.

Edited by hair4tomo