Hairline Density

thanks for the reply! when you say there is greater risk in high-density transplants, do you simply mean that if the transplant fails, more grafts are wasted? or, alternatively, are you saying that high density transplants are more likely to fail? thanks again. 

In the old days,  it was believed by many a separation between grafts was required for graft survival. This was due to the global idea that grafts compete for blood supply.  So, during a consultation a second procedure was always discussed to achieve density.  25-32 FU/SI was the goal.  Like Sean  indicates, hair density does play into this.  You would require far more if the hair is very fine. What existing native hair exists is also part of it. Lastly, the doctor's instrumentation, (the size of the punch).

During the consultation just tell the doctor you want as much density as possible.  After the fact you can ask him what the outcome, number wise, was.  

For a normal noticeable impact in good scenario, youd need terminal hairs around 61-90 microns.  This could mean average number of extractions are needed to get a satisfactory result woth those particular micron ranges.  The high the micron the less grafts may be used.

30 to like 60 microns are like miniaturized Hair ranges.  In this case a varied density is needed and more grafts are needed as a result depending on where you land.  The exact count would be based on microns.  In your case you are 50?  Is that medium to fine hair?  Is it curly or straight?  That’s another factor.  Remember this, Real Lateral Slit recipient site creation will enhance the illusion with your hair as well.  So even if you are 59 microns, a proper lateral slit will probably make it seem 30% or more in density based on how it is angled on your scalp.  

There is greater risk in high de sity for both reasons, the doc can cause too much trauma that some hairs in high density may be wasted and die and you can lose a lot of hair to follicle death if left outside of body for a long time.

High density is extremely risky if you have existing native hair in between as well.  

• Administrators

Great points, but I think we need to distinguish between density and hair thickness. 

53 microns hair thickness is considered to be on the finer side. 42fu per cm2 is pretty dense considering some parts of the scalp are probably like 80fu per cm2. As long as you have 50% of original density you will not see any difference.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• Administrators

There is no appropriate density, everyone has different density, even ethnicities have different density. For example, those of east asian descent and African descent tend to have less density than those of European descent. On the flip side, they tend to have thicker hair, so it evens out. 

Can you post pics of your current hair loss? 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Thanks for the reply. I’ll rephrase my question. Generally speaking, hairlines typically require more density than other areas of the scalp. Would you say that, generally speaking, temples require less density than other areas of the scalp? If so, are you able to provide a range? For example, a sufficient range for a hairline might be 50-55 FUs per sq cm. What would be a sufficient range for temples?

I’m unable to post pictures right now, but I can supply you with more information. All of my recession is in the hairline and temples. I’m looking to cover approximately 60cm. My hair is straight and has a caliber of 53 microns. In your opinion, what would be an ideal amount of grafts needed to cover this area?