How long does the growing vellus hairs after the hair transplantation takes to become normal?

hairtargeter

I underwent hair transplantation 6 months ago with FUE procedure. The transplanted hairs fell after one month of the surgery. About 2 months ago, vellus hairs started to appear. It is considered that vellus hairs will be thicken and transform to normal hairs. However, the vellus hairs haven't transformed to normal hairs yet and still very short and thin.

My question is: When the vellus hairs appear after 3-4 months of the transplantation, how long does it take to become thick and transform to normal hairs?

4 minutes ago, LaserCap said:

Typically at 1 year post op.  In some instances it can keep improving up to 18 months..

Do you mean that the growing transplanted hairs after the transplantation - which are vellus hairs in the begining - take one year to transform to normal hairs?

The hairs that have been transplanted into a different part of the scalp shed after a month or so for most people. Then they start the growing phase all over again which will start with small thin hairs which will mature over 18 months. If sombody dosent shed hairs after a ht then the hair will grow ahead of schedule thats why after 5 months some HTs look really impressive especially if they have PRP done when they have the HT.  Unfortunately in your case you will have to sit it out for longer than 5 months. Be patient. You will have a great result but it takes time. @LaserCap will explain it better than myself as he is very knowledgeable on the HT subject.

.......all the best....

......Paddy.....

So you go through a transplant procedure.  The very next day crusts start to form. You start to pour shampoo and cup method. Within 3-4 days you see crusts all over, Some are small and some bigger.  You can start noticing the shaft that came with the graft. At about the 5-7th day the crusts start falling off.  You get in the shower and start massaging gently.  Crusts finally come off but the hair never falls and starts growing.  This just means you are ahead of everyone else by 3 months.  

Normally what happens, however - the hair also falls along with the crusts.  3-4 months later the hair start coming in.  And, not all hair comes in at the same time.  First it is vellus-like.  Eventually, typically a year, the hair matures.  Sometimes there can be improvement up to 18 months.  

If you do PRP, hair comes in sooner.  I've seen a matured result at 3 months.