specific plug removal?

Hi all,

along term lurker on the site. a lot of great info to be found.

I like many here had the old "plug" straight line ht back in the 90's (bosley).

since then, i had a lot of corrective work at a very good plastic surgeon in the baltimore area and am quite pleased.

I will try and post some pics to explain my situation (probably next week).. but in a simple explanation:

i still have about 6 distinct "plugs" right at my right side temple (where the hair parts), behind that has been feathered in nicely and if i play around with the part and comb the 6 plugs straight down (I know this is where a picture would help) i am quite pleases with the irregular , but natural reced look of the temple behind it.

my question, i know i could have my surgeon remove, or disperse the plugs... i hate to "waste hair", but frankly, i'm not sure if i want the time, red bumps, $$ etc.

has anyone had luck with shaving of a few plugs?

how often does one have to shave them?

is it best to use a "mangroomer" to buzz down, then a blade shaver (I have direct acess, or my wife could do it).. without screwing anything up.

how about waxing? anyone use any home product? i would hate the embarrasment of walking into a wax joint and asking to have some plugs waxed off.. but i'd do it if need be.

also, lazer hair removal? anyone try this? go to a dermotologist, or just any hair lazer removal place?

lastly (ouch) i have considered plucking. has anyone plucked? how often does it grow back?

I know the smart thing to do, which i will, is see my doc to discuss all the options, but i'd like some input some people who have been thru the above to see waht works well.

I certainly trust my Plastic surgeion.. he is not a clinic hack.. but let's face it.. a surgeon is going to reccomend surgery.. (if that's my best option.. no problem)... but people tend to think in a manner of what they do. perhaps the thought of waxing, or lazer removal might not be what he considers to be the best "medical" option. I am just looking at all my options.

i hope my rambling makes sence. any advice , or input is greatly appreciated!

auggie

Hi all,

along term lurker on the site. a lot of great info to be found.

I like many here had the old "plug" straight line ht back in the 90's (bosley).

since then, i had a lot of corrective work at a very good plastic surgeon in the baltimore area and am quite pleased.

I will try and post some pics to explain my situation (probably next week).. but in a simple explanation:

i still have about 6 distinct "plugs" right at my right side temple (where the hair parts), behind that has been feathered in nicely and if i play around with the part and comb the 6 plugs straight down (I know this is where a picture would help) i am quite pleases with the irregular , but natural reced look of the temple behind it.

my question, i know i could have my surgeon remove, or disperse the plugs... i hate to "waste hair", but frankly, i'm not sure if i want the time, red bumps, $$ etc.

has anyone had luck with shaving of a few plugs?

how often does one have to shave them?

is it best to use a "mangroomer" to buzz down, then a blade shaver (I have direct acess, or my wife could do it).. without screwing anything up.

how about waxing? anyone use any home product? i would hate the embarrasment of walking into a wax joint and asking to have some plugs waxed off.. but i'd do it if need be.

also, lazer hair removal? anyone try this? go to a dermotologist, or just any hair lazer removal place?

lastly (ouch) i have considered plucking. has anyone plucked? how often does it grow back?

I know the smart thing to do, which i will, is see my doc to discuss all the options, but i'd like some input some people who have been thru the above to see waht works well.

I certainly trust my Plastic surgeion.. he is not a clinic hack.. but let's face it.. a surgeon is going to reccomend surgery.. (if that's my best option.. no problem)... but people tend to think in a manner of what they do. perhaps the thought of waxing, or lazer removal might not be what he considers to be the best "medical" option. I am just looking at all my options.

i hope my rambling makes sence. any advice , or input is greatly appreciated!

auggie

auggie,

Welcome to our community! icon_smile.gif

Spex is right. High energy light can destroy the hair follicles permanently (I'm not talking about standing in the sun) I talking about intense short wavelength radiation.

I've had laser treatment already, though for skin cosmetic reasons...resurfacing and such, and the attendant started with low intensity and over the course of treatment increased the energy.

It's like someone zapping you hard with a rubber band, only you smell your skin burning.

take care...

Dr. Cooley took and "drilled out" a lot of my old plugs in the hairline and crown, then recycled and used them. The scars from that are undetectable.

I figure a dr. can do that for you fairly simple, as I think the donor strip is the most traumatic part of the whole process.

100? 'mini' grapfts by Latham's Hair Clinic - 1991 (Removed 50 plugs by Cooley 3/08.)

2750 FU 3/20/08 by Dr. Cooley

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

Rogaine 5% Foam - every now and then

AndroGel - once daily

Lipitor - 5 mg every other day

Weightlifting - 2x per week

Jogging - 3x per week

May I ask something, as I am very interested in the topic: I have old plugs but I have pitting also. So I guess laser removal is out of question, as pitting will remain.

If a doctor removes them, recycle them and reuse them, as Dewayne's, my existing pitting will remain after a year when everything will be healed?

Stamos,

I think the best answer I can give you is it depends. Ultimately, extracting the grafts and redistributing them will get rid of the initial pitting however, removal will create scarring. How much scarring depends on a number of conditions, including how scarred yuor scal already is.

It's probably best to let a qualified hair transplant surgeon evaulate your case and see what can be done for you.

Best wishes,

Bill

Thanks for your response Bill. I am talking about the initial pitting, the one that I have now and not the scars that will be created after the removal.

I hope your last surgery went well.