Is it normal for the hairs to be very thin when start to grow?

hairtargeter

I  underwent a hair transplantation 5 months ago. DHI (Direct Hair Implantation) technique - a type of FUE method - was used in the transplantation. About 2400 grafts were transplanted on the front and top of my head and other 1700 grafts (from my chest and chin) were transplanted on my crown.

I took a photo after 4 months of the transplantation and another photo after 5 months of the transplantation. They are both attached here. However, there is really no difference between them.

Is normal for the transplanted hairs to delay before starting to grow?

In addition, I see now very thin hairs on my head (not visible in the 2nd photo). Do transplanted hairs start to grow as very thin hairs?

Result after 4 months of the transplantation.jpg

Result after 5 months of the transplantation.jpg

Edited by hairtargeter

What is the DHI technique? Perhaps they've patented something we are unaware about.....

For years I heard, "it takes 4 months before the hair starts growing." This of course has changed over the years but, if no PRP was used, typically 3-4.  Then the hair starts coming in vellus-like, and at about 12 months is when we expect a matured result.  The shaft will thicken, there'll be length, etc.....

By this time, however, you should be able to see.....the problem it seems, the grafts were placed diffusely throughout.  Additionally you have a good size pattern.

And not to add salt to the wound, the hairline design looks like an inverted U.  Typically class 6+ do not lose hair that way.  Typically  patients will have a prominent forelock with very receded corners.

OK....Nothing we can do but....A couple of suggestions,

Get on medical therapy.  Propecia, Rogaine, and laser.  Do them for 1 year while you're allowing the grafts to mature.  I am hoping there is enhancement of whatever miniaturized "native" hair you have.  This would contribute to the overall density and the overall result.

Keep in constant contact with the clinic.  Go to the 3-4 month post op visit as well as all the others they recommend.  Have them take photos, (and get a set for yourself). I am certain the discussion of "more grafts" is coming.

The only other thing to do is wait.....

Oh, I am curious...It just occurred to me...Where exactly did they harvest the hair from, (in the donor area)? Seems from the photos you are dipping in the back as well.  If graft were taken from an area that's thinning, eventually all those hair will thin as well.  Can you post photos of your entire head? Do you have any post op photos?  (have the clinic give you a set of all they have).

26 minutes ago, LaserCap said:

What is the DHI technique? Perhaps they've patented something we are unaware about.....

For years I heard, "it takes 4 months before the hair starts growing." This of course has changed over the years but, if no PRP was used, typically 3-4.  Then the hair starts coming in vellus-like, and at about 12 months is when we expect a matured result.  The shaft will thicken, there'll be length, etc.....

By this time, however, you should be able to see.....the problem it seems, the grafts were placed diffusely throughout.  Additionally you have a good size pattern.

And not to add salt to the wound, the hairline design looks like an inverted U.  Typically class 6+ do not lose hair that way.  Typically  patients will have a prominent forelock with very receded corners.

OK....Nothing we can do but....A couple of suggestions,

Get on medical therapy.  Propecia, Rogaine, and laser.  Do them for 1 year while you're allowing the grafts to mature.  I am hoping there is enhancement of whatever miniaturized "native" hair you have.  This would contribute to the overall density and the overall result.

Keep in constant contact with the clinic.  Go to the 3-4 month post op visit as well as all the others they recommend.  Have them take photos, (and get a set for yourself). I am certain the discussion of "more grafts" is coming.

The only other thing to do is wait.....

DHI technique is "Direct Hair Implantation" which is a type od FUE.

The seen hairs in the photos is the past vellus hairs (before the transplantation) which have transformed to normal hairs. The growing transplanted hairs is not shown in the photos because it is vellus-alike hairs.

About my hairline shape, the informed me in the clinic that the focused the grafts in the front. My hairline shape haven't changed since the surgery but it has just gotten a little more intense.

Edited by hairtargeter

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

2400 head grafts plus 1700 body grafts = 4100 total grafts. It looks like you are probably a NW 7, but at least a NW 6, so that's not going to be enough to really get good density since you said 1700 of them went into the crown. A lot of it depends on the individual hair thickness, though. But to answer your question, yes it does begin to grow in very thin and will thicken over time and it doesn't all start to grow at the same time. I'd take another picture at the 6 month mark because that's when a lot of people really start seeing the biggest difference. Then take another picture at 7 months. Keep us updated.

Edited by BeHappy

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.