Would You Go To A Hair Transplant Surgeon That Makes You Sign An NDA?

• Administrators

This question has come up recently, there were some good replies. But I would love to see us get a little comprehensive on this issue. So guys, let's put some reasons why this could be dangerous for potential patients. 

Would You Go To A Hair Transplant Surgeon That Makes You Sign An NDA?

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

OK, a couple of points to bring up.  First one is carelessness.  This is typically a 2 or 3 page document that no one will read. It kind of reminds me of the consent forms patients have to sign before moving forward with a procedure.  I can count, with one hand, how many times a patient read the document.  

2nd, why have an NDA? The goal is to prevent competitors from getting actionable information.  But it is not generally competitors visiting with you...It will be patients.  This does bring the issue of trust.  Not only does the patient need to trust the doctor, the doctor, by creating such document, now has to trust the patient.  (If you make it an issue, it will become an issue).

If I was to create such document it would be to avoid any innovation becoming public and to protect confidential information such as secured storage. (patients photos, among other things).  Thus, if there is an innovation involved, perhaps this would not be a bad idea.

Understanding that information does lose value over time, one question I would have is - for how long should the NDA be provided for?  What happens after that?

If there is a lawsuit, who would end up paying?....and, if the patient is from abroad or another state, for that matter, what state law would be used? Perhaps arbitration would be best to avoid this headache.

I would suggest an attorney to get started.

Hopefully you can use the above to start the discussion........

• Like 1

• Administrators

Great post laser🙌🏼

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

I’d understand if an nda is required if there were some special process or tool or surgical procedure that made the doctors work specialized and the nda could potentially stop competitors from finding this information. 

However the type of nda’s we see with doctors such as baubac and Rahal (both pedigrees of Alvi Armani who was the king of NDAs) seem to try and minimize the negative publicity when a patient does not have acceptable results.

note: I am not a patient of any of these doctors nor do I have direct proof, just going off of what I’ve heard and some limited evidence I’ve seen so please don’t sue me :):):)

• Administrators

Rahal does not do this, that’s completely false. The other surgeon I have no idea.

View my thread

• Administrators

I would be very curious to know whether they would cancel. That would be an automatic red flag. Not that having an NDA isn’t a red flag enough.

View my thread