Finasteride efficacy on different sections of hair

Has anyone experienced finasteride working on different areas of the head at different levels?

I've been on it for a couple of years, since seeing a dermatologist. I'm a NW 3/4 approx. 

I go back every 6 months, or so, get some follow up pictures, and compare the progress.

Since starting, my overall hair health seems to be a lot better, and the crown appears to be even more full than when i started. 

Though, my temples have continued to recede slowly. 

Does anyone know if this is a common occurrence? Or is it more down to person-to-person?

Thanks! :)

Edited by Greg_Swanson

The medication tends to be, visually, far more effective in the crown. Is it because it is enhancing the miniaturized hair?  Perhaps.  

Through the years I've noticed a number of things. First, it can help with retention.  I've seen young guys even minimize shedding.  They seem to look the same year after year.

I've seen other patients with lots of miniaturized hair in the crown....return with a fuller set of hair.  Enhancement of the dissipating hair.  It can happen.

I've seen cases where the patient seems to be improving everywhere, (enhancement), but not the front, (retention).  So, it almost looks as if they are thinning in the front.

Lastly, I've seen patient slow down the loss, but they are still loosing.  In this case, is it worth taking the med? Sure.  Just add other modalities and see if you can halt it all together.  If, after doing all available modalities you are still experiencing loss, get off the meds because they are not working.

So, in summary.  Everyone is different and the medication can affect patients in all sorts of ways.  If it is "partially" working, I would continue....but also add other modalities to the mix.  If it is doing its job, and you are retaining all over, keep going. (Important to understand the medication is intended for the patient to retain.  If you are enhancing, that's awesome as only a low percentage of patients experience this).

The clinical trials that Merck does states that they find Propecia to be most efficient in the posterior (crown) and mid-scalp....but not the frontal region or temporal lobe areas.

I have been taking low dose finasteride since 1996 and although I had hairline and temporal lobe recession, it has definitely stabilized to this present day.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

1 hour ago, gillenator said:

The clinical trials that Merck does states that they find Propecia to be most efficient in the posterior (crown) and mid-scalp....but not the frontal region or temporal lobe areas.

I have been taking low dose finasteride since 1996 and although I had hairline and temporal lobe recession, it has definitely stabilized to this present day.

What dose are you on?

13 hours ago, LaserCap said:

The medication tends to be, visually, far more effective in the crown. Is it because it is enhancing the miniaturized hair?  Perhaps.  

Through the years I've noticed a number of things. First, it can help with retention.  I've seen young guys even minimize shedding.  They seem to look the same year after year.

I've seen other patients with lots of miniaturized hair in the crown....return with a fuller set of hair.  Enhancement of the dissipating hair.  It can happen.

I've seen cases where the patient seems to be improving everywhere, (enhancement), but not the front, (retention).  So, it almost looks as if they are thinning in the front.

Lastly, I've seen patient slow down the loss, but they are still loosing.  In this case, is it worth taking the med? Sure.  Just add other modalities and see if you can halt it all together.  If, after doing all available modalities you are still experiencing loss, get off the meds because they are not working.

So, in summary.  Everyone is different and the medication can affect patients in all sorts of ways.  If it is "partially" working, I would continue....but also add other modalities to the mix.  If it is doing its job, and you are retaining all over, keep going. (Important to understand the medication is intended for the patient to retain.  If you are enhancing, that's awesome as only a low percentage of patients experience this).

Interesting thoughts, that makes sense Laser.

For myself, I feel like I am still receding but very, very slowly in the front. 

In this case would you suggest keep taking it?

I've been considering a transplant lately, just to restore the front. I suppose in that instance keeping on the meds is a must.

6 hours ago, gillenator said:

Very happy to hear it worked for you, Gillenator! 

I started about two years ago, and the pics at my dermatologist show very minor frontal recession, but new hairs in other areas. 

9 hours ago, Greg_Swanson said:

Interesting thoughts, that makes sense Laser.

For myself, I feel like I am still receding but very, very slowly in the front. 

In this case would you suggest keep taking it?

I've been considering a transplant lately, just to restore the front. I suppose in that instance keeping on the meds is a must.

Of course!  The thing we don't know is, how much hair would you have lost had you not been on the med.  Say nothing.  Then getting off the pill would be an easy decision.  But say that you were meant to lose all the hair in your head. If so, that's exactly what will happen if you get off of it.  (You would resume losing up to 1 year for the effect to be completely off your body).  

Like I've told patients, if you decide to start, keep on it.  Getting on and off is just a waste of time and money.

On ‎6‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 5:55 PM, jj51702 said:

What dose are you on?

I take approximately 1 mg every other day and have for years.

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

On ‎6‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 11:32 PM, Greg_Swanson said:

Very happy to hear it worked for you, Gillenator! 

I started about two years ago, and the pics at my dermatologist show very minor frontal recession, but new hairs in other areas. 

New hair growth is definitely a plus...happy for you!

Gillenator