Post FUE Donor Area Care

Hello all I am currently 10 days post op FUE with Dr. Diep 2049 grafts. I was looking for any tips on products that would help promote better healing or overall scalp health of the donor area after FUE surgery. I have heard things like aloe vera or vitamin e oil people use after they shower to help with drying/flaking/ithcing. Honestly im not really experiencing any of these as my  donor is feeling really good post op FUE 10 days but i still want to be proactive and use anything that would help promote a healthier donor area post FUE. If you have any suggestions or specific products you would link me or recommend please comment and let me know!

I just used a saline solution and baby shampoo for about 2 months.  It felt kind of weird for a while, but now 9 months out it is normal. 

"Imagination frames events unknown in wild fantastic shapes of hideous ruin, and what it fears, creates." Hannah More

Just follow the post-op instructions. Typically after 10 days you can resume normal activity.

9 months post op?  Have you returned to the clinic for a post op visit?  

Have you noticed any more hair loss?  Are you doing anything to help you with retention?

6 hours ago, LaserCap said:

Just follow the post-op instructions. Typically after 10 days you can resume normal activity.

9 months post op?  Have you returned to the clinic for a post op visit?  

Have you noticed any more hair loss?  Are you doing anything to help you with retention?

I have never been back, and things are going great.  The doctor was checking up on me for the first month.  My hair has been pretty stable since my first transplant in 2011, but you have to understand that I will be 72 soon.  I did not suffer any complications, and didn't want to make a 2 hour drive to see the doctor for nothing.  I believe I am experiencing a very high success rate.

Back to the question at hand, I would say the donor area was like a semi-numb, semi-itchy feeling, and it felt good to just put my hand on the area without actually scratching the area.  I am a very good patient who overdid the post op instructions.  I don't understand why so many people are so eager to return to normal routine so fast.  A little TLC goes a long way. 

"Imagination frames events unknown in wild fantastic shapes of hideous ruin, and what it fears, creates." Hannah More

3 hours ago, shookwon33 said:

When would you say the overall numbness in the donor area returned to normal? Like all the nerve sensation came back? @Dazed

It is funny how you loose track of time, but I would say about 3 months, maybe less, but it was not something I couldn't live with.  I found relief by just putting my hand on the donor area and not scratching.  Actually the shots to numb the donor area was the worst part of the whole FUE procedure - I was squirming like a toad.  I was on the table 10 hours, but I think they gave me Valium, so I was in Lala land most of the time.  I insisted on driving home, but I would never do that again.

Good question. Donor area recovery is usually amazingly smooth. The scalp is a very accommodating area in term of healing and recovery. However, I usually prefer Saline sprays on both recipient and donor areas for 5 days post op. I prefer to leave the donor exposed immediately after surgery. We use antimicrobial ointment once a day for the first 5 days after each wash. It is important to keep the donor clean daily at first. If someone has a LLLT pre surgery, I prefer that they use it daily on the recipient and donor areas for the first month. LLLT technology was based on healing wounds before it existed for hair thickening and maintenance. Therefore it is a good thing to use if already purchased. 

I tend to find that the most annoying thing is the itch 7-10 days after surgery. For this, we tend to advise using olive oil, or almond oil, tea tree oil or aloe vera. It is mainly itching and healing contraction of thousands of wounds that causes this itch and possibly discomfort. Therefore moisturizing helps. One more thing is to make sure the saline spray stops during that time as the salt residues on both recipient and donor areas tends to make itching worse after that time. 

It goes without saying ofcourse to follow up the instructions given by your specific surgeon. Each practice could have specifics that they strongly believe in and should therefore respect their protocols afterall. Good luck

Dr. Taleb Barghouthi approved and recommended on the Hair Transplant Network. You can schedule a virtual consultation with me here.

Contact me via WhatsApp at +962798378396 (Jordan) 

Social media:

Facebook

YouTube

Twitter

Instagram