the 50% of original density theory?is it true or just gimmick?

hi all

I have read and heard numerous times that when balding you dont notice a visible balding to the naked eye until you reach below 50% of your original density. Therefore when transplanting new hairs if you aim for that 50% mark you can achieve a great result. In theory going on that you should actually recieve an excellent density result. Is this actually true or just a load of crap they spin to suck you in? It seems sometimes,and i am one of them that you will believe anything that sounds this good. Is it too simplistic for me to then calculate the number of grafts i need and amount of hairs needed to cover my balding area in CM square by cutting a peice of paper 29cm long by 1cm wide (29cm square) and using that as a guide? Say the size of a 1500-1900 graft proceedure for me. With that theory i should be able to vitually double the area of that paper to indicate how much surface area of my scalp i can cover? Does this sound silly or has anyone use this theory or believe it is usefull?

thankyou all.

Originally posted by bosco09:

hi all

I have read and heard numerous times that when balding you dont notice a visible balding to the naked eye until you reach below 50% of your original density. Therefore when transplanting new hairs if you aim for that 50% mark you can achieve a great result. In theory going on that you should actually recieve an excellent density result. Is this actually true or just a load of crap they spin to suck you in? It seems sometimes,and i am one of them that you will believe anything that sounds this good. Is it too simplistic for me to then calculate the number of grafts i need and amount of hairs needed to cover my balding area in CM square by cutting a peice of paper 29cm long by 1cm wide (29cm square) and using that as a guide? Say the size of a 1500-1900 graft proceedure for me. With that theory i should be able to vitually double the area of that paper to indicate how much surface area of my scalp i can cover? Does this sound silly or has anyone use this theory or believe it is usefull?

thankyou all.

Generally this is true. But there are exceptions. If someone has naturally more diffuse hair, thinning would be noticeable sooner.

At any rate, many might say that 40 hairs per/cm2 gives the appearance of "density" as long as the hairs are not miniturized.

But again, hair and scalp color play a significant role too. As well as hair products.

So based on 40 hairs per cm2, to cover 30 cm2 area, it would have 1200 transplants that grew. Since you can expect 80% growth if you are fortunate, then you might need 1500 grafts.

But this is all a rough estimate. Much easier to have some doctors look at you and give you estimates.

In my opinion a density of 50 grafts per cm2 is not enough as the hair still looks like it is thinning under harsh light, at least 65 grafts per cm2 or over is needed to avoid this. Wind is right in that yield, angulation, hair caliber, colour and scalp contrast also play a significant role.

hi guys,thanks for your input..

My point is really this. I know i have roughly 60 Fu per square centimetre at the most part of my donor area,so in theory that would have been the case in my balding area (roughly). So,i should get a "perceived" full density by having 30 Fu grafts per square centimetre. Same as if someone with a donor of 90 Fu per Square centimetre should need 45 Fu to do the job. This is the theory i am led to believe.

i was really planning on opening a topic about this icon_smile.gif

Last week when I talked with Adrian from Rahal clinic, he told me that Dr. Rahal will be able to graft app. 60-70/cm2 on my frontal hairline.He gave me this information based on the numbers that i've taken from my face to face consultation in Istanbul.(told me that i've app. 80/cm2 in my donor area).So I want to ask which one is true, %50 of overall donor or what Adrian told me. I believe Dr.Rahal is true magician, but also some doctors gives really crappy results with density of 25-35/cm2 eventhough donor is capable of much more. Also could someone with transplants share their density no's ?

Originally posted by azazelgs:

i was really planning on opening a topic about this icon_smile.gif

Last week when I talked with Adrian from Rahal clinic, he told me that Dr. Rahal will be able to graft app. 60-70/cm2 on my frontal hairline.He gave me this information based on the numbers that i've taken from my face to face consultation in Istanbul.(told me that i've app. 80/cm2 in my donor area).So I want to ask which one is true, %50 of overall donor or what Adrian told me. I believe Dr.Rahal is true magician, but also some doctors gives really crappy results with density of 25-35/cm2 eventhough donor is capable of much more. Also could someone with transplants share their density no's ?

The 50% theory does not contradict what Adrian told you. With your transplant you would be aiming for better than 50%, which means that hopefully your transplanted hair would be considerably fuller than it would be at the point where you'd notice thinning.

As for the 50% theory itself, I think it's going to depend on a lot of things, including how large an area is thinning (you're probably more likely to notice a wide area of diffuse thinning) as well as simply how much attention an individual gives to their hair.

I don't see (as suggested in the first post) quite how the 50% theory could be a gimmick to suck you in. At most it could be a guideline for how dense a doctor plants the grafts, but seeing as how it would result in pretty modest numbers being used it doesn't seem like it would be of much use to a doctor who was trying to squeeze his patients.

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

Originally posted by mattj:

The 50% theory does not contradict what Adrian told you. With your transplant you would be aiming for better than 50%, which means that hopefully your transplanted hair would be considerably fuller than it would be at the point where you'd notice thinning.

As for the 50% theory itself, I think it's going to depend on a lot of things, including how large an area is thinning (you're probably more likely to notice a wide area of diffuse thinning) as well as simply how much attention an individual gives to their hair.

I don't see (as suggested in the first post) quite how the 50% theory could be a gimmick to suck you in. At most it could be a guideline for how dense a doctor plants the grafts, but seeing as how it would result in pretty modest numbers being used it doesn't seem like it would be of much use to a doctor who was trying to squeeze his patients.

mattj,

I think from what i've seen in my researches, great doctors such as (in my opinion of course) Rahal, Hasson&Wong, Feller makes a great density which gives the best results. Since you're an online consultant , I wanna ask if someone could achieve the same density in transplanted area as same as the donor area?

I'm not sure why anyone would approach a HT looking for a specific density---the general theory is that the AVERAGE HT patient can achieve a non-balding, illusion of density with 50% density of the balding area. The few lucky patients who have all the best characteristics are able to exceed this figure and for those truly unlucky patients who possess lower characteristics, they may achieve 30-40%.

You have no idea what 55 fu's cm/2 will look or 35- or 65 for that matter.

You have to look at the big picture and use the numbers as a starting point, then move forward....I can tell you if you have all 1+2 hair grafts your density of 60 fu's cm2 will similar to a person with a different distribution of 45 fu's that include 1-2-3-4 hair grafts.

30 (1 hair) + 30 (2-hair) = 90 hair density

20 (1 hair) + 15 (2-hair) = 10 (3-hair) = 80 hair density....so one guy gets 60 grafts and the other 45 grafts....no real appreciable difference in the density overall.

Take Care,

Jason

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

hi the B spot (MAtt)

the only thing i am really interested in or questioning (forgeting the NOs ie CM square because its all relevant to an individual) is the general theory of a 50% illution of fullness?thats really all? Mattj..I will tell you how this theory could be used as a gimmick to suck you in...Everyone of us on here who has concidered a hair transplant would have asked themselves when concidering it "do i have enough donor hair to cover my head" "how does this aea on the back fill in the top"...then the doctor says, yes good question well the answer is the human eye does not notice hair thinning until it reaches under 50% of its density therefore you have plenty of hair to cover your head. This is what is told to you within the industry from consiltations. The question should be simple..IS this true or not? if not, then that is a gimmick to sucker you in...simple

Well obviously it depends on how thick and coarse your hair is for one. My natuaral density on the sides is 88 FU/CM2. With my coarse hair that is quite dense. My frontal core area is about 35FU/CM2 according to my doc. However, even at 35, it is still relatively dense. I can even spike it straight up. A little goes a long ways on me as the SMG consultant said.

The work I had done is in the crown and top. The density planted was about 40-45 FU/CM2. So I "should" have a good result assuming at least a 90% growth rate.

Before I started losing my hair, I could come out of the shower with hair soaking wet. I could part my hair and still not see my scalp. Not even a thin line. It was like trying to comb a mop. So everyone is different.

Bosco,

At 50% of your original hair density, most patient's won't show any signs of balding under normal conditions. Harsh lighting, especially at certain angles may reveal signs of thinning and the "see-through" look others have referred to elsewhere on the forum. But the real question is: would you rather appear like you have minor thinning or be bald?

For me, the choice was an easy one. It took 3 hair transplants of 7550 grafts for me to be satisfied with my hair. Of course, I was a class 5A prior to my first hair transplant and now would be a full 6. My hair still appeared thinner after 3 hair transplants but most people couldn't tell. Later, I had a 4th procedure just to add some density. While I didn't feel I needed it, adding more density couldn't hurt. It appears much more dense and hardly anybody knows I ever lost any hair, even though it will never be as thick as it was in high school.

In my opinion, the higher the density you can achieve, the less likely of presenting a see-through look under any condition. However, super high densities aren't always necessary and sometimes more can be accomplished with less.

In my opinion, consult a qualified hair restoration physician and work with them to create a hair restoration plan that you think you can be satisfied with. If you don't think you will be satisfied with the outcome, perhaps hair transplant surgery isn't for you.

All the Best,

Bill

Originally posted by azazelgs:
Originally posted by mattj:

mattj,

I think from what i've seen in my researches, great doctors such as (in my opinion of course) Rahal, Hasson&Wong, Feller makes a great density which gives the best results. Since you're an online consultant , I wanna ask if someone could achieve the same density in transplanted area as same as the donor area?

Physically it is possible, but it isn't a good idea as yield can be effected. It would probably be more feasible to attempt that sort of density in a second procedure. I really don't think you need to go that high for good results, though.

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

I know this might be slightly different question, but I have also heard that 50% works in the recipient on the one hand, and I also heard a well known doc's rep say that the donor extraction protocol for FUE shoould only be 25-30% on the other?? In other words you have to leave 70-75% of the hair intact or else it won't look right. This sounds suspect to me.

Hello Bill

Thankyou so much for your input. It was much appreciated. You mentioned that perhaps a transplant is not for me,well thats true i think however the problem i have is that i have already had one. I had a 15oo Fu proceedure done here in Australia about three and a half years ago at the age of 31. Its fair to say i was unprepared and ill informed when i made my decision,based purely on my emotional feelings at the time. Unforgivable in todays day and age where all the information needed is at your finger tips. My emotional response,particularly toward my scar and what the future held for me was not good,not good at all. Bill,i need your help,infact i am desperate for your advic as i need to move forward with my life and hopefully get an outcome i can live with. Would you mind or be available for me to contact you directly. if so it would be absolutly much appreciated.

thankyou

Bosco,

You are welcome to contact me privately through PM or email me at help@hairtransplantnetwork.com. I'll be happy to provide you with any guidance that I can. I'd also suggest sending me some photos showing your current hair loss condition and/or any areas you are concerned about and your what you'd like to accomplish.

Best wishes,

Bill