posting not so great results?

kaounis

It,s great to see home runs posted by surgeons, it helps prospective patients to get an idea of what can be acheived. What I would like to see is Dr. posting the not so great results. I don,t meen the hacks... I'm talking about the coalition Dr.s who get sub-par results for what ever reason!!!!Every Dr. has a few. Why should it always be up to the patient?? If Dr.s, (coalition)want to prove that they are sincere and ethical, they should provide their prospective patients, (clients), with both sides of the picture.That to me is fair play!!

I challange all coalition Dr.s to put their best foot forward....Anybody???

It,s great to see home runs posted by surgeons, it helps prospective patients to get an idea of what can be acheived. What I would like to see is Dr. posting the not so great results. I don,t meen the hacks... I'm talking about the coalition Dr.s who get sub-par results for what ever reason!!!!Every Dr. has a few. Why should it always be up to the patient?? If Dr.s, (coalition)want to prove that they are sincere and ethical, they should provide their prospective patients, (clients), with both sides of the picture.That to me is fair play!!

I challange all coalition Dr.s to put their best foot forward....Anybody???

kaonis,

I think a number of doctors put forth examples of regular work and not necessarily their best patients. Doctors posting every month may still be selective in what they post, but post several examples on patients with varying hair loss patterns, varying degrees of density, coverage, etc.

No doctor bats a thousand as there are several variables and risks to consider with surgery.

There are examples of the occasional complication posted on this forum. You can find them by using the "find" feature.

Best wishes,

Bill

Sometimes Glenn scars can be so unpradictable. I think if you don't ever buzz your head you should be alright. You can always look to have the scars filled in. I think you are in better shape than some that I have seen!! You are right Bill some Dr. do post results about unsatisfied patients or about sub-par results, but usually it is only when they are called out. Please Bill, don't think that I'm trying to stir up trouble, that's not my style. I just think that there are plenty of people out there who don't understand what can happen with HT's. Dr.'s should do there best to educate and "warn" patients that things don't always go as planned. When I go for a consult I always ask to doc to show me pictures of his unsatisfied patients!!! You should see the look on some of their faces when they hear that. On a differnt note, you run agreat sight here. Keep up the good work.

This is a good topic. I think a bunch of docs, including me, post pretty good, really good, and excellent results; and in some cases, pretty good is exactly what the patient requested. An example for me is one of the cases that I put up last week. I got a couple of positive comments from readers, and at least one which said that they wouldn't have been happy without a bigger case. My reply was, and still is, the patient picks the size of the case, and helps design the plan.

I have more guys wanting that Caesar type of haircut than I expected a few years ago, and some bloggers don't like that... but the patient does so who is to say that a great result for them, is only an average result.

A couple of years ago I was at a cosmetic surgery meeting and watching a panel on facelifts. Now at that time I had done maybe 2500 facelifts, so I know that sometimes you hit a homerun and sometimes you get an average result, even in the best of hands and with the most ideal of patients. Well, the 5 panelists discussing outcomes showed maybe 5 patients each from their practices. 4 of the 5 docs showed patients that could be in Vogue magazine, as if that is all that they operate on. One doctor, and the one I felt had the most credibility, showed one really beautiful patient, 2 pretty good looking patients, and 3 average. He said that when he picks pictures for a talk, he takes 5 consecutive patients regardless of their appearance and shows them. That guy was honest.

Same with hair too. I have had patients who could be on GQ magazine's cover, and I have had patients who would not be on that cover, but as long as the doctor is up front about expectations and what can be done, the patient can make a decision.

I used to say, and now say less as folks have figured out that I am fairly frank about things, that unless you drive to the office with a hot blonde and a corvette, 2500 grafts aren't going to get those for you by 4pm the day of surgery--as was suggested by a big chain's ads a few years back.

Hair transplantation and other types of cosmetic surgery can really help patients with particular concerns. I think many of the doctors on this site do a good job posting a variety of cases for the blogger to scrutinize.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

I think Dr. Lindsey that you understand exactly what I am trying to say. Back in 2004, I had a consult with a very respected surgeon. When I asked him what my results would be like (obviously at the time I was very uneducated about HT's), he told me it would be pefect, like mother nature did the work herself( I'm not kidding). I told him only GOD can acheive perfection, and that statements like his were very misleading. That's when I asked him to show me a picture of his not so satisfied customer. He asked me to leave.....Oh well, you live and learn.

kaounis why dont you be realistic and stop living in lala land. Like any surgery there are risks involved and everyone that undertakes a HT knows this.

If I was a Doc with 2000 great results and 50 bad ones why would I be stupid enough to post them on this forum???? People don't remember all the good results they only remember the bad ones. Your asking docs to ruin their reputation based on a few bad results.

The only way we are going to see bad results on this forum is if patients themselves post their results. We should be encouraging un happy patients to post their results along with doctors names. Keep dreaming if you think a doc will post a bad result.

Kaounis,

In my opinion, any surgeon who oversells the benefits of a procedure without discussing the risks and limitations is hurting patients.

"Perfection" doesn't exist in this world. Hair transplants are designed to mimic nature as closely as possible, and in many cases, it can look very close.

But true hair density can't often be achieved, especially those extensive hair loss or even risks of future hair loss.

A good hair restoration physician will consider the long term and help their patients develop and achieve very realistic goals.

Anyone considering hair transplant surgery should know ahead of time what can realistically be acheived, what the risks are, etc.

Shame on any surgeon who tells isn't upfront with their patients.

Take a Chance,

Being a member of this community for awhile, it's easy to think that all prospective patients are as educated as we are, knowing the risks upfront. But many people still believe that just because someone has the title of "doctor" that their word is to be fully trusted. The sad reality is, the skill of hair transplant surgeons vary as do their results. Patients need to do diligent research to find surgeons who are consistently using current techniques with excellent results.

If this is true for hair, imagine how true this is for more serious surgeries.

Bill