TIME FOR TRANSPLANT

There was just a guy who had 5000 transplants in 10 hours.  I had 2300 in 10+ hours.  What is the average time of your transplant?  I was worn out after mine.

"Imagination frames events unknown in wild fantastic shapes of hideous ruin, and what it fears, creates." Hannah More

• Administrators

5,000 grafts I think is what you meant, I had 2,120 grafts in around 13 hours. 5,000 grafts in such a short period of time means several technicians were extracting hair at the same time and at a fast rate. This is typically only seen at low-cost clinics. Some clinics have success doing this, but the majority don’t.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

I guess I messed the terms, but what is you average time for your transplant?

"Imagination frames events unknown in wild fantastic shapes of hideous ruin, and what it fears, creates." Hannah More

Many factors are involved.  FUT or FUE, who is doing the harvesting, the doctor or a tech?

If FUT, once the segment is removed, it is then sectioned into groupings.  If they are splitting, it will take longer.  (More about splitting in a second).

Then comes doing sites.  To save time some doctors do it at the time the techs are prepping the grafts.  Others wait unitl they have a count.

The Clinical staff then starts placing. One, two, three techs.  The number will make a difference.  And if they are new, this will take more time as they don't have the experience and can only place a few.  (More about this in a second)

Lastly, are you a bleeder?  Tumeric, aspirin, blood thinners.....all can have an effect.  If the grafts are just popping out, this will also consume time.

With regards to splitting.  While there are different head sizes, I am guessing no one has more than 30 cm donor area from side to side.  If the doctor takes a 9mm strip, which most conservative doctors do to avoid a wide scar, the number of grafts that can typically be harvested is 2400-3000.  When I start hearing 5000 and outrageous numbers, it could mean that splitting happened.  (Take a 4 hair graft and make it into 4) one hair grafts). Otherwise, how do you get that many?  Perhaps other can share their opinion.

Techs.  If you ask most practices they will swear up and down that their staff has lots of experience and have been there for years.  This is not always the case.  It would be interesting to find out what all of you have experienced with this.  One without experience can have a huge impact on results.  

• Like 1

Since my procedure took from 7 AM until 5:30 PM for 2300 FUE grafts is this about average for FUE?  My question was really just triggered by the guy who had 5,000.  I have been through FUT and FUE already, but I was asking for the Newbies on how long they would be in the chair.

3 hours ago, Dazed said:

Since my procedure took from 7 AM until 5:30 PM for 2300 FUE grafts is this about average for FUE?  My question was really just triggered by the guy who had 5,000.  I have been through FUT and FUE already, but I was asking for the Newbies on how long they would be in the chair.

This sounds about right. I had a 2000 FUE graft surgery with Dr. Lorenzo a few years ago. We started around 8am and got finished around 6pm. He did all the extractions and all the implanting, and it felt like he just didn't stop or ease off all day except for half hour for lunch.

I am an online representative for Farjo Hair Institute

Dr. Bessam Farjo is an esteemed member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions shared are my own.