Really In Two Minds About Transplant

I just can't decide if and when the time might be right.

I'm 27 1/2 and in education. My plan is to go to university for a 3 year full time degree in September. For this reason If I go for a transplant I'd be looking at between now and around June 2019 to do it (in order to give it time to look normal for the start of University), otherwise once I start university the only large gap to have it done would be the summer holidays so around May to September every year. Here is the state of my hair under very bright bathoom downlights

Combed back:

InkedIMG_20181031_201713486_LI.thumb.jpg.ed1cf8ed5435386bef498a4a0f48d92b.jpg

IMG_20181031_201619518.thumb.jpg.4e6d8ba6274b14b77dbc0da4ab544a78.jpg

IMG_20181031_201621883.thumb.jpg.bd2d5db79a1e36708072b219195addb4.jpg

IMG_20181031_201624842.thumb.jpg.e4d2051d3e11d8ad121fb7d3b2011aa8.jpg

Now its been basically like this since age 20ish, with some minor further temple recession since. Using fin and minox daily and have began 2mm derma stamping once every 7 days but too early to tell if it will do anything.

Despite the loss at a young age i've never had problems getting girls, but friends have trolled me over it at times. For special occasions I use Toppik on the crown. But the way I style it makes it look somewhat normal (or am I just coping/reaching here) Here is how i style it:

InkedIMG_20180925_164007002_LI.thumb.jpg.d552d1486c5954bf042e4ef045a7837e.jpg

InkedIMG_20181031_201750179_LI.thumb.jpg.d5871859d99e36f20f05bb1020264889.jpg

Basically brush it forward and keep it quite long to hide the temples. 

My pros and cons are as follows:

Pros:

Wont have to worry about the wind

Wont have to brush it forward and spray gel it in place anymore

Will boost confidence

Cons:

Finding correct time to have it done

Can still attract women anyway, but a transplant would push me up a couple points I think

Price. But not a huge issue

Im relatively young so must be wary of shockloss and future surgeries

There are a few semi promising alternative treatments due to release soon, including the italian hair loss lotion, Brotzu I think its called

Lastly Im concerned with my donor capacity. I had one consultation where I was told I have a lot of 2-3 hair follicles and he wasnt concerned with the available donor supply. I never see the back of my head but decided to take a pic today and it does look quite thin, but its with a number 4 guard so I dont know.

IMG_20181031_200514858.thumb.jpg.7a60c80192171b66b177c320dcd8d32e.jpg

Would like to hear your opinions on what I should do. I know it is ultimately down to me but some outside influence wouldnt hurt. 

My heart is basically set on Dr Demirsoy or maybe Cinik IF i were to have a transplant. Ive done quite a bit of research and looking at between 2500-3500 for hairline, temples and midscalp reinforcement.

Edited by HairGone29

if you’re on fin, which you say you are, and plan to stay on fin, I say go for it man. Tons of people say it’s the best thing they’ve invested into theirselves. Rebuilding the hairline would do wonders for you. Like you said in the 2500-3000 range

You seem to be losing hair from the back to the front, and from the front to the back.  It is just a matter of time if you are not on some type of medical regimen.  Glad you are on Propecia/Finasteride.  You may want to add Rogaine, PRP/Laser.  These work in different ways  and can be synergistic when used together.  That being said.....

The sooner you do it, the sooner you get to keep enjoying your youth.  The more you wait, the more challenging it will be later on.  Life always seems to get in the way.

Despite the length of your hair, you can still see scalp.  Are you experiencing global thinning?  Perhaps you were wearing a cap.  Let your hair grow another week and post the photos.  

My first suggestion is to start looking at before and after photos.  Tons of them.  If you see a website with a handful of them, move on to the next.  Doctors that are good and passionate about this business will have hundreds of photos posted.  Go to arochahairrestoration.com and look at that website.  This should give you a decent idea as to what you should be looking for.

Lastly, if you do decide to move forward, always start in the front.  Once you are happy, then tackle the back and make sure the meds are working.  It is normal to be thinner in the back since this is a spherical area unlike the front and top where the hair grows forward and shingles.

On 11/1/2018 at 4:40 AM, HairGone29 said:

I just can't decide if and when the time might be right.

...If I go for a transplant I'd be looking at between now and around June 2019...

Now its been basically like this since age 20ish...Using fin and minox daily...

Despite the loss at a young age i've never had problems getting girls...For special occasions I use Toppik on the crown.

Price. ...not a huge issue

Im relatively young so must be wary of shockloss and future surgeries

I had one consultation where I was told I have a lot of 2-3 hair follicles and he wasnt concerned with the available donor supply...

...looking at between 2500-3500 for hairline, temples and midscalp reinforcement.

You're mature enough. You have been using Fin, minox, toppik. You know your hairline design should consider possible future hair loss. You are prepared for another surgery if needed. Doctor said you have available donor supply. You have time and money.

Go for it.

P.S. Although if you look great with a shaved head, that another option.

Edited by fortuneplant

I would say since you’re in the good age range where having a shaved head looks to be trendy, I’d say shave your head and see how you look and if you like it, a shaved head looks so much better than a comb over on a young dude , and see what kind of feedback you get from friends and family first and if you can carry a shaved look until you feel 100% comfortable enough to get an Ht then do so but don’t rush it....then...if it would make you happy and improve self confidence do all the research you can then go for the HT. Many have said it was life changing, good luck!

Edited by VicTNYC