scratching recipient 6 weeks post op

Tried to make the thread before didnt get any meaningful answers. Went to my clinic's office and paitent rep put concealer on the area and proceeded to wipe it off intensely to the point it was red and hurt really bad. Could this damage the skin since there is scar tissue. Makes sense that it would, someone change my mind.

1 hour ago, Dr. Glenn Charles said:

How long after the procedure did this occur? Why did he put concealer on if he was going to take it right off?

Thank you for replying doctor. It occured about 5.5-6weeks after the procedure. I just wanted to see how the concealer worked,  but then she proceeded to rub it off very, but no sking broken

58 minutes ago, Dr. Glenn Charles said:

I really doubt that 5-6 weeks post-op that any harm could be done to the grafts. I allow my patient to use concealer one month after the procedure. I do instruct them to wash off at night before going to bed.

Here’s my thinking though:

the scar tissue from the grafts is still healing so therefore if your are rough with it, aka vigerous scrubbing, you can therefore create more scar tissue and thus hinder growth?

Literalno,

I understand what you are saying and are concerned about however, at five or six weeks, you are not going to damage the grass underneath the scale. Yes, the tissue deep underneath the scalp is still healing however, you would literally have to dig through the surface of the scalp to get to the follicle  in order to cause any damage to it at that point. 

I understand that you are concerned because technician/representative was rough with yourself putting concealer on and taking it off, but this would not be enough to cause damage to the gracts. 

Best wishes,

Bill

4 hours ago, Bill - Managing Publisher said:

Literalno,

I understand what you are saying and are concerned about however, at five or six weeks, you are not going to damage the grass underneath the scale. Yes, the tissue deep underneath the scalp is still healing however, you would literally have to dig through the surface of the scalp to get to the follicle  in order to cause any damage to it at that point. 

I understand that you are concerned because technician/representative was rough with yourself putting concealer on and taking it off, but this would not be enough to cause damage to the gracts. 

Best wishes,

Bill

I really really hope so. I just don't understand how you can cause extreme pain to an area, tingling and everything without causing some damage. 

In reality, the tech has no idea what it is like to go through a 10 hour surgery, literally protect that area with your life for a month, be insanely gentle, and then have someone else take the liberty of hurting that area. No matter what, your mind is going to remember the pain of surgery, and undoubtedly be disturbed to the point of thinking all the money time and care was for nothing. Not to mention the waiting time after, it is a complete lack of regard for patient well being, even if it doesn't do any damage.

What I'm struggling with still is that I know some people who have scarring alopecia have poor graft growth. Would the formation of new scar tissue not hinder growth? As in, any harm to the skin forms some level of rough exterior, and so wouldn't this essentially hinder growth, even if just minimally. 

The pain is probably due to the fact that the nerves are still very sensitive since they were severed very recently. But as others have said, very doubtful that your grafts were damaged by this rubbing.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY