Propecia vs Generic Finasteride

Hi, 

I'm thinking of starting to take Propecia/Finasteride.

I Know this question has been asked a lot, but it was hard for me to get a definitive answer from that. Is generic Finasteride the same as Propecia, or does it have any drawbacks? 

Also, what kind of generic Finasteride should I get, I know of two kinds that I can get in my country: 

Dr. Reddys Finax

Cipla's Finpecia

Does anyone have experience with any of them, are they reputable? It seems like I can get both of these online without a prescription which seems fishy to me, does that sound reasonable to anyone? 

Thanks in advance. 

I was on Brand name finasteride for 9 months through Kaiser ..  $130 a month .. n I would have to call the clinic every month to make sure to special order me the brand name .. last 2-3 months I had to use dr reddys generic finasteride since the pharmacy defaults to the generic .. I’m not sure if it’s in my head or not but I notice more hair fall with generic .. so I’m going back brand name next month .. probably doing brand name proscar n cut in 1/4 to save money .. from what I read , generics use fillers that could n couldn’t be less edfective than brand name , therefore inconsistent results . I’m not taking any chances n going back to brand name ..

I get generic finasteride through Walgreens without insurance for $6 bucks a month, they use the reputable generic made by Teva.

Always get generics from reputable pharmacies.

Hair loss patient and transplant veteran. Once a Norwood 3A.

Received 2,700 grafts with coalition doctor on 8/13/2010

Received 2,380 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 9/30/2011

Received 1,820 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 7/28/2016

I worked as a pharmacy technician in college, and every pharmacist I worked with and every other pharmacist I know says that there is absolutely no difference between the name brand and the generic. I understand the appeal of wanting to get the name brand, and who's to say that someone doesn't respond well to one over the other - whether that be for psychosomatic reasons or not. Personally, I took the generic when I was taking it and never considered the name brand. 

Also, Spex's advice about taking the 5 mg Proscar and cutting it into 1/4s is great advice. This will save you tons of money. 

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

IMHO, there is no difference between the name brand and the generic form...they both contain the same amount of finasteride regardless of fillers.  Other than your doctor, the licensed pharmacist is a reliable person to present your questions.

Like Spex, I have been cutting the 5 mg Proscar pill for a long time and it works just as efficient.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY