Anyone else have this problem?

Brandon

Hello,

I had a translant about 5 months ago (4,621 grafts in all). I would estimate that I lost about 1/3 to half of the follicles in the first month after the surgery. Then the remaining hair started growing. All was going well and I was very impressed with the results.

But in the past few weeks, I've noticed that the hair has been falling out. If I run my fingers through it, I've noticed that a significant amount will fall out. And I notice that my hair is definitely less dense now than it was just a month ago.

Has anyone else lost a significant amount of transplanted follicles this long after my procedure? And if so, did they grow back?

I am using proscar and monoxodyl daily. I don't want to freak out, but this doesn't seem right to me.

Many thanks for any answers you can provide.

Hello,

I had a translant about 5 months ago (4,621 grafts in all). I would estimate that I lost about 1/3 to half of the follicles in the first month after the surgery. Then the remaining hair started growing. All was going well and I was very impressed with the results.

But in the past few weeks, I've noticed that the hair has been falling out. If I run my fingers through it, I've noticed that a significant amount will fall out. And I notice that my hair is definitely less dense now than it was just a month ago.

Has anyone else lost a significant amount of transplanted follicles this long after my procedure? And if so, did they grow back?

I am using proscar and monoxodyl daily. I don't want to freak out, but this doesn't seem right to me.

Many thanks for any answers you can provide.

Hi Brandon,

Mate I believe the hairs that start growing as soon as their transplanted can just resume their normal cycle and so may fall out as part of this. My understanding is most hairs have a 2ish year cycle of growth, fallout and rest then re-growth. It could simply be this however it also depends on how much hair your talking about.

I would invite extra advise from some of the veterans of the forum.

Over to you guys....

qvarnis

Thanks, qvarnis.

It's hard for me to give an exact amount of hairloss. I can say that when I briefly run my fingers through my hair (over the sink, for example), I will look down and discover about 10-20 hairs that have fallen out.

If memory serves me correctly, that is about the same amount that would fall out when I first realized I was losing my hair.

I am definitely going to call my doc about this, but would like to hear insights from others.

First this is rare for HT to fallout once they regrow unless they were in the final life cycle before being transplanted-- like if the surgeon removed donor too high on your scalp (above ear level) this could happen.

I would suggest ASAP to get on Propecia and 5% rogaine with MSM daily. This will help limit further loss. Also, make sure your getting enough folic and fatty acids in your diet-- if not go to GNC and by some pills.

Originally posted by Brandon:

Hello,

I would estimate that I lost about 1/3 to half of the follicles in the first month after the surgery. Then the remaining hair started growing.

Brandon,

It is my understanding that sooner or later, all the transplanted hair will fall out, then start to regrow again, 2-3 mos. after it falls out.

I too, have retained about 1/3 of my original transplants and they are growing and getting longer. Others have told me they will fall out eventially.

It sounds like your original grafts are just now going dormant and finally falling out. They will probably start growing back in 2-3 mos.

But you should check with your doc to be sure, then let us know what he says. I will probably be in a panic when I loose the rest of mine too.

Good luck to you.

If you had any remaining (non-transplanted) hair, you could be seeing the ongoing fallout of those hairs. A hair transplant doesn't stop the balding process (of nontransplanted hair).

Or, as others mentioned, it could be a delayed loss of the transplanted hair as the grafts go dormant.

10-20 hairs in the sink is considered normal, even in guys without male pattern baldness. If I recall correctly, a guy with a full head of hair and zero male pattern baldness will ordinarily lose 100-200 hairs per day. (I think I have this right).

Since you are post-op though, you should get some follow-up with your doctor if possible.

Hey guys,

Thanksfor your posts. Here's what I found out from my doc:

Losing the transplanted hair this long after surgery is not normal. He said that once the transplanted hair starts growing, it does not fall out. Yet, for me, there is considerably less density today than there was just a month ago. And even the slightest running of my fingers through my hair results in loss.

One possible explanation is some medication I was prescribed about a month ago by my general physician. Though he (my general physician) said the medication is almost surely not causing the hairloss, I've stopped taking it anyway. I also started taking MSM again. I'm really hoping this stops the hairloss.

Needless to say, I'm really getting freaked out. I really hope that all of this wasn't for nothing.

I'll keep you posted.