is Biotin shampoo worth the price?

I'm sure Biotin is very popular and this has been covered before. Sorry in advance.

For years I've been using Vive Pro thickening Shampoo. It's been discontinued and it's time for a change.  I'm in my late 30's. Have had 2 HT's in the past. And currently taking Proscar/Rogaine daily.

I was on Amazon and noticed 2 types of Biotin shampoo. Caffeinated Shampoo/DHT Blocker. But at $28 for 8oz, that is very pricey. Does anyone recommend?

An alternative would be Dove Thich & Strong caffeinated shampoo for $5. lol.

HT2 - March, 2013. 2933 grafts.

HT1 - June, 2006. 800 grafts.

• Administrators

Biotin in shampoo doesn’t really do anything for hair loss, the only ingredient in shampoo that can be effective in treating hair loss is Ketocanozole.

You can find this in a shampoo called Nizoral, I personally use Lipogaine Big 3 shampoo, it’s $25 a bit expensive, but it’s not as harsh on my hair as Nizoral which is $15.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

1 hour ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

Biotin in shampoo doesn’t really do anything for hair loss, the only ingredient in shampoo that can be effective in treating hair loss is Ketocanozole.

You can find this in a shampoo called Nizoral, I personally use Lipogaine Big 3 shampoo, it’s $25 a bit expensive, but it’s not as harsh on my hair as Nizoral which is $15.

I was looking into that but from reading the label it seemed like it was strictly a Dandruff shampoo (and I luckily do not have dandruff). Think it's still safe to use?

So that's a NO on Biotin even though it clearly advertises itself as a DHT blocker/Hair loss shampoo? Good thing I asked here.

HT2 - March, 2013. 2933 grafts.

HT1 - June, 2006. 800 grafts.

Biotin isn’t really known to be a game changer in shampoos.  Folks have reported some positive feedback when it is used in its vitamin ingested form.  Shampoo wise, ketaconazole would probably keep scalp healthy but it also comes withs own side effects on some users.  Extra shedding or itchiness due to dryness etc.  it does limit sebum production which us why it probably lowers that dht infested waxy core.  Again, these shampoos all vary.  If they have thickening fillers then you'd think they are growing hairs when they are just artificially adding volume.  

Good luck!

• Administrators
1 hour ago, SV_08 said:

I was looking into that but from reading the label it seemed like it was strictly a Dandruff shampoo (and I luckily do not have dandruff). Think it's still safe to use?

So that's a NO on Biotin even though it clearly advertises itself as a DHT blocker/Hair loss shampoo? Good thing I asked here.

Biotin does not block DHT at all, it is a B-vitamin that can aid healthy hair follicles, but that is only if it ingested, i'm not sure it can be absorbed topically to be honest. With that said, Nizoral is sold as a dandruff and dermatitis shampoo. However, there was a study conducted that saw that Ketocanozole the active ingredient in Nizoral increased hair growth was on par with Minoxidil 2%, which means it does have some anti-androgen effects. Although, the benefits I believe them to be very minor, it is really the only ingredient should be looking for in a shampoo, specifically to treat hair loss. 

here is the study

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9669136

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.