Sun UV protection after FUE

Had FUE 10 days ago, and I understand that I need to protect my head from direct sunlight. I actually walk to and back from work everyday which is about 1.6 miles each way. I will say, 20% of the way I get hit by direct sunlight. I have'nt been walking since my transplant ofcourse, but now since I am 10 days post-op, I would like to continue the walk, as I really enjoy my commute. TO do this, I have been debating upon various ways on how I can protect my head.

1. Nice cotton Bandana
  2. Baseball hat
  3. Wide brim Sun hat

Bandana sounds really good to me, but then the ones I have, does not completely cover the donor area. Also, I need to wait a month at least before I can start using sunscreen lotions or sprays. What do you guys recommend?

I personally favor the ball cap because they cover the scalp completely and usually the material is thick enough to keep the sun's harmful rays out. Now, having said that, there are ball caps made with a weave material...don't use those.

And some sun hats are made of a weave material and are not considered the best option for protecting your scalp.

Bandanas are ok depending on the thickness of the material and if that material is see through or not.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

As long as the material doesn't let the sun's rays penetrate to the scalp, then any of the options will be fine. Most materials I've seen used for headwear are suitable - only open weave fabrics will allow a significant, harmful amount of sunlight through. Basically, you have a lot of options.

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

Thanks! Yeah same here. My doctor gave me a black bandana and a black hat. I really liked the easiness of wearing that bandana, so I got 3 more tailored made, but in light colors (white and beige) 100% cotton. But after the fact, I noticed they are very thin and you can see through them. Guess I can't wear them in the sun. So I also ordered that 50 UPF sun brim hat.. haha, planning to go camping in a month, I'm sure it'll come handy. Need to go shopping for a nice call cap, the one I have (Cubs championship), is a snug fit.

A Nationals cap works the best...:D

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

I live in the city so i got asked a lot if i'm going to the jungle :D

i don't really care, wearing it even in the evening. right now kinda lowering the brim down to the forehead to protect the recipient area, but in the future i won't lower it and i think it will look even better. i know i don't need to be that protective about the scalp but again, going on the safe side.

day 113 post op, should i start using baseball cap? don't want the recipient area to be smash beneath the hat.

was wondering, after the op they say to use lukewarm water to wash the scalp, is it because the scalp is numb and you could use really hot water and you wouldn't feel it? or there is other reason?. does it matter if i use cold water from now on?

thanks.

Yeah, anything that covers your scalp will be good. I found that a newsboy hat worked the best for me, as it went lower in the back to cover the donor area than a traditional baseball cap would.

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

• 1 month later...
On 6/8/2018 at 6:50 AM, Seftest said:

Yeah, I wondered if donor area needs the same level of protection as recipient area. I'm gonna buy one newsboy too.

Recipient is the most important, as sun exposure can damage the grafts and keep them from growing. The donor area is important in terms of helping minimizing any scarring that will occur. When wounds are exposed to the sun, they don't heal as well, so be proactive about that to help promote proper healing in the donor area. Once the donor hair starts to grow back in , it'll help serve as a cover itself - but definitely still keep the recipient out of the sun for the first 6 months. 

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56