Question about growth/survival rate

I read that if we try to transplant more FU/per cm^2, survival rate will go down. How about when I put more hair on later surgery? For example, I had surgery about 50 FU/cm^2 and decided that I'm not satisfied with the result. 2 years later I want to increase density by putting 30 FU/cm^2, how realistic is this? is the survival rate of second surgery is that of 30 FU/cm^2?

• Administrators

The survival rate should not affected because the doctors would be going in between existing hair. The issue is when trying to pack (new) grafts closely to eachother, the blood supply may become compromised and thus lead to poor growth. That wouldn’t the case for a second pass for density.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

The survival rate should not affected because the doctors would be going in between existing hair. The issue is when trying to pack (new) grafts closely to eachother, the blood supply may become compromised and thus lead to poor growth. That wouldn’t the case for a second pass for density.

so if I don't get enough density on first try, I can just get a second one. That's really cool :D

Yes, adding more density in a 'second pass' is a good strategy.

Yes, that is possible, but the ideal scenario is to achieve the density you wish in just one procedure, so you can also preserve grafts if your hair loss continues.

Density is a key factor, but probably hair calibre, average of hairs per FU and grafts distribution are more important from our point of view.

E.g. = patient 1 has a very thick hair, with good groups of grafts in terms of hairs/FU. Maybe he needs "only" a density of 40-50 grafts/cm2 on recipient to have a very good result. On the other hand, patient 2 has a very fine hair, and most of the grafts are 1-2s hairs. He may have a density of 60 on recipient, but due to his hair characteristics it looks thinner than patient 1.

No you may not get enough density in second pass. It depends on how much damage you may have had as a result of the first pass. That scar tissue can be a major factor and how much you may have. It will probably be worse each time as the “soil” has been impacted.

But if you still have good vascularization then a highly experienced repair doc may be able to help by angling and inserting grafts wisely. Trust me on that one. Approach it carefully, some folks shouldve gotten proper result in the first pass and should not have to suffer trying to get out of a very screwed up situation.

Edited by Sean
Fml

It is important to keep in mind that hair loss is a progressive condition and hair transplant is about illusion of coverage and not mimic the original density. Most surgeries will look good with proper density, angulation without reaching a density of 70-80 FU/cm2.

Long term planning is very important.

Yespls,

I have seen various data and heard various things from different surgeons and patience. I have heard some doctor say that they won’t transplant more than 50 follicular units per square centimeter because it might jeopardize growth yield. However, other surgeons have stated they’ve gotten as many as 70 to 80 follicular units per square centimeter without affecting growth healed. Now typically, those numbers are one haired follicular unit so the number of hairs equals the number of follicular units. If they were to hair flicker of the units, that number would be divided by half. None the less, regardless of how many units per square centimeter can be transplanted, the real question is how many is needed. Typically, only 50% of natural density is required to create an adequate illusion of density and since natural density is only typically between 80 to 100 follicular units per square centimeter, only 40 to 50 follicular units per square centimeter may be needed.

By the way, I’m using speech to text at the moment so it’s spelling everything out literally instead of putting follicular units per square centimeter in mathematical form.

Best wishes,

Bill