Diffuse Thinner Buzzcut

Have any diffuse thinners ever buzzed their hair or shaved it really short?

My hair is increasingly difficult to style, and I have to apply concealer each day, which is becoming quite tiresome.

At the moment, I'm trying to build up the confidence to buzz my hair (never done it before) so I can see what it looks like.

Has anyone else done this? If so, do you have pictures?

• Administrators

I did that for over a year, you’re balding pattern will become more evident. If you think your hair will look better you’re mistaken, it’s actually a myth that shorter hair looks thicker, it actually looks thinner, because you don’t have hair to layer over one another. You can look at my photo albums.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

I agree that depending on how advanced the diffused thinning is (and depending on how short you buzz it), it may actually make it look thinner. If it's not too advanced and you definitely wanna try it eventually, you should probably try buzzing it sooner rather than later. And who knows - you may like yourself with a buzz cut anyway. But if not, grow it back out, continue with the concealer, and then see if a hair transplant is something that would be a viable option for you.

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

I have actually experimented a lot with this....shaving it down and seeing how it looks at different lengths.

If you are just starting to lose your hair...shaving it down will make it less noticeable (I don't mean shaving it to the bone but rather shaving it to 1/4 inch long).

That being said, if you are a diffuse thinner...it definitely is going to make it look worse in most case if you shave it that low. I find there is a sweet spot....for me it's about 1.5 inches or so. I get good layering at that length.

It's worth a try, though, if you have never done it....if nothing else, to see what areas you are really thin in.

• Administrators

I agree with Matt, if you are just starting to lose your hair then buzzing your head will make it look better, but it seems like you may be more advanced. Attached is a picture of how I looked with a buzzed head, you can see my hairline was still intact I just had diffused loss, buzzing really made me look a lot balder at that stage of my hair loss.

However, this was the turning point for me, it wasn't until then that I decided I needed a hair transplant, I just could not accept the reflection in the mirror. So I'm glad that I at least tried buzzing my head. Otherwise I could have been wondering now whether or not that would have been a better option.

fullsizeoutput_9.jpeg

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.