travelling immediately after surgery

I do read that there are no real restrictions to travel but wanted to find out if anyone had to deal with swelling/bleeding/infection while or after travelling back home.

I am considering taking a 3 hour flight the morning after surgery. Wondering if anyone faced any unexpected issues while travelling?

• Administrators

The biggest issue with traveling right after surgery is covering the recipient area, you really shouldn’t have anything covering the grafts. You could use a surgical cap, but this would only draw unnecessary attention. I would recommend giving yourself at least a day before returning home.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Infection is highly unlikely and the main swelling tends to begin a couple of days after the procedure. But really it's much better to stay close to the doctor's clinic for several days after the procedure, so they can check on you and keep your recipient area clean.

Are you having FUE or FUT?

I had FUE and flew home five days later. This was an 8 hour international flight, so yours is short by comparison. I was completely open with anybody I came into contact with at the airport and it was an easy experience.

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

Twice I travelled home from Canada to Texas two days after my surgery.

This plan went well.

I am sure each patient is different, but my swelling primarily started really happening on the 3rd day after my surgeries.

This was my plan:

Surgery Day

1st Day Post-op:

Visit doctor for examination & first gentle shampoo

2nd Day Post-op:

Visit doctor again in morning for a brief examination & 2nd shampoo

Fly home in after-noon of 2nd day post op

This plan allowed for 2 post-op doctor visits/shampoos & get home before swelling set in

Edited by Shampoo

Dr. Dow Stough - 1000 Grafts - 1996

Dr. Jerry Wong - 4352 Grafts - August 2012

Dr. Jerry Wong - 2708 Grafts - May 2016

Remember a hair transplant turns back the clock,

but it doesn't stop the clock.

Take a day after surgery to rest up and sleep in your hotel. If you feel fine at that point and your doc is comfortable with it most would say you are ok to travel. It will not be a fun day, but lots of people travel in this timeframe.