New Guy w FUT questions

I’m new to the forum and am looking to get a procedure done later this year with Dr Hasson. The more I read though, the more questions I have. Feedback on any of the following would be appreciated:

- How long is the typical FUT scar? I've read that Dr Hasson tends to always go ear-to-ear. Is that common or extreme. I was told I’d likely need around 3500, and am wondering what size of scar that equates to?

- For those who’ve already had an FUT done could you ever take your hair down to a #1 or #2 clipper setting without the scar being completely obvious/awkward?

- How did guys wear their hair during the tough phase of recovery (1-4 months post-op)? My hair is pretty long, but my preference would just be to go down to short clipper setting until month 5 when hair starts to really grow again and then just let it all come back in uniformly at once. My concern though is that I won't be able to shave my head close enough to match the surgical area length during that time period due to the scarring? Am I destined for a short term awkward comb-over to hide the procedure at work until real growth begins?

- On average how long does the scalp implant-area stay red/pink/discolored?

- I've read a lot about facial swelling post-op, is that a very common issue and if so how long does it take to dissipate? I’ve seen that some clinics use tight headbands to keep the swelling from falling into the face, is this pretty much standard practice at all clinics?

I know it’s a lot of questions, but figure the folks on this forum are probably best equipped for feedback.

Thanks.

Hey,

The Dr is only estimating based on laxity and density of donor how long the incision will be, but for the most part with 3500 grafts you will be looking at an ear to ear scar. I've just had 2800 and it is above both ears.

For the most part I'm led to believe it's not possible without noticing the scar at a #1 or 2. But again this depends on hair characteristics and how well you heal. I have pretty fine hair but the scar is looking good and I will be very happy if I can shave to a #3.

I am fortunate to work from home so I basically wore a hat whenever I was outside. But using fibres can sometimes work if used carefully depending on hair style.

1-2 months, can be longer.

I've been to two different clinics and never seen that practice. Swelling typically lasts for upto 5 days post-op and yes it is common.

cheers

No you won’t be able to cut hair with #1-2 without an FUT scar being obvious. However as long as the hair is close to 1” long it should cover the scar if it’s done at a good clinic. I would personally let my existing hair grow longer and use it to help mask the procedure. I know the awkward combover won’t look great but it’s better than walking around with a short buzz cut sporting a pink recipient area and a fresh FUT scar for 2 months. It’s worth the awkward 2-3 month period if it bothers you enough. If you can wear a hat it’s a non issue.

Thanks. Ya, I work in a law firm so rocking a ball cap for 4 months is a non-starter.

I’ve read a lot that HT surgery without simultaneous Rx treatment (fin) is a waste? I can’t take the meds due to a preexisting condition, so I’m wodering if there’s truth to that. I’m 38 and at Norwood 3, so hoping that a well-executed FUT alone may be enough to buy me a decade of peace?

Hi SprayPaint. Am almost 6mos when I did my HT and I am still wearing a hat at work. (I look like my pic.) At six months, my hair is still thin and wiry - compared to my fatter normal hair - but there's enough growth, density and length that I could use a hair concealer and ditch my hat if I so choose.

If you do a proper FUT, the recipient area should retain the hair without meds. You take meds primarily to protect the areas that wasn't touched by the HT.

Doesn't mean you have to ingest meds, you can use topical minoxidil or finasteride. Those led/laser helmets also seem to help retain, not regrow, hair.

You can cut your hair 0.5" to 1" to hide a FUT. A lot of modern hairstyles can be accommodated - short side/fades/long top - since the FUT scar is high enough to be hidden by the normal hair.

Redness: My recipient area was normal at 3mos. My donor/strip scar area was still noticeably light pink at 5mos. I am on my sixth month next week and will check my strip's color

My recipient area was normal at 3mos. My donor/strip scar area was still noticeably light pink at 5mos. I am on my sixth month next week and will check my strip's color

How large was your procedure? Who was your surgeon?

Spray I'm in the same boat as you (few years younger) and looking to get an HT asap. Also not on fin and also likely a NW3 at the moment. Also work in a professional (finance) setting and wondering about how much time to take off and get through the recovery.

Where are you located and how'd you narrow down your choices to Hasson? And are you considering FUE at all?

Where are you located and how'd you narrow down your choices to Hasson? And are you considering FUE at all?

I’m in NY. I chose Hasson based on a lot of online reviews and based on the results I’m seeing visually online. TBH, it’s pretty much always a crapshoot picking a surgeon. You get recommendations and read reviews and the go in fingers crossed and hope they’re on their A-game that day. I’m assuming his pricing is competitive. At least he’s transparent and posts costs clearly online. I’m will My to pay a premium for someone of his apparent caliber.

As for FUE, it would be a consideration if not for the cost. At an approximate 3500 grafts I’d be looking at $25k, which is too steep for me. Also, I’m looking at Hasson based on his reputation as an excellent FUT surgeon with great hairline results. If I was leaning FUE I might look elsewhere.

If you know of a great FUE surgeon with more competitive pricing, I’m all ears. But I’m tolf the pricing with these top doctors is all roughly the same. Some of the more veteran guys on the forum can probably weigh in on this though.