Can finasteride regrow some hair ?

Hello,

I am only 20 years old and i have been suffering from hair loss for about 6 years now. i have unfortunately clear balding areas.

I am on finasteride right now . I would like to know ,in my case, can it grow some hair back and improve the density? even a little bit ?

or it is just to maintian what i have got ?

what norwood scale do i have ?

I just what to to know what to expect from this drug. So not to be frustrated at last.

Thanks

5b32f9d0b899c_20180221_175514(2).thumb.jpg.6d89c62527b4e8de6b4e1159be14c784.jpg

Hello,

I am only 20 years old and i have been suffering from hair loss for about 6 years now. i have unfortunately clear balding areas.

I am on finasteride right now . I would like to know ,in my case, can it grow some hair back and improve the density? even a little bit ?

or it is just to maintian what i have got ?

what norwood scale do i have ?

I just what to to know what to expect from this drug. So not to be frustrated at last.

Thanks

Hi,

20 years old and suffering from hair loss since you was 14, that's tough!

If you've just started taking the Finasteride it may take upto 6 months for you to start seeing any improvement. I would take clear pics month by month and compare the difference.

Looking at your fuzzy picture, I would guess that you have many miniaturizing hairs that theoretically should respond to the Finasteride and spring back to life. This should improve your overall thickness, to what extent you will have to wait and see. You should take heart from the fact that the drug has helped many users enhance and preserve their current hair. As for growing back hair that has long since gone, then I'm afraid that is very likely not to happen.

Basically you are doing the right thing in starting Finasteride as long as you aware of possible side effects in a small percentage of users.

Hopefully for you the Finasteride will make the difference, you also have the option of using hair fibres to enhance your overall look.

You should continue with the Finasteride for 12-18 months and then reassess your options. It may at this point be possible to have a minor procedure (nothing major, you are far too young) to enhance your look.

Feel free to contact me direct if you have any other queries. I wish you all the best.

Good advice there from Shera. Really feel for you being so young and having been losing hair since your early teens. Life really sucks sometimes.

How long have you been on finasteride? Hopefully you're a good responder and you can thicken things up a bit, but it's going to be six months to a year to really be able to judge its effect.

Wish you all the best and hope you can keep us posted.

I am an online representative for Farjo Hair Institute

Dr. Bessam Farjo is an esteemed member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions shared are my own.

Finasteride can regrow hair but it's not very common. What is more common is finasteride thickening thinning hair which will make the appearance of your hair thicker. That said, if finasteride isn't causing any side effects or anything for you then I would definitely use it to see how it works for you. They do say however, to use it for 6 months to a year before determining whether or not it's working for you.

Best wishes,

Bill

Hopefully you won't experience a shed cycle, but even if you do, hang with it for the long term and be sure to do so under your doctor's guidance.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all for your replies, i really appreciate it.

I have been on the medication for a month now, no side effects to mention. But my hair is falling so bad and i am losing hair even more . Is that normal? Or just it's a sesonal shedding and it's a coincidence?

I am confused!

Thank you all for your replies, i really appreciate it.

I have been on the medication for a month now, no side effects to mention. But my hair is falling so bad and i am losing hair even more . Is that normal? Or just it's a sesonal shedding and it's a coincidence?

I am confused!

Many docs will inform you that this shedding is a good sign that you are responding positively from the initial use of the medication.

So yes, this is not unusual and IMHO, the wisest thing to do is to hang with it for the long term because the shedding will eventually subside and your hair will enter a new robust growth cycle.

This all will take some time such as 6-9 months to manifest...but IMHO, well worth it!...:cool:

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

I am myself convinced that shedding could be normal. I am shedding like crazy! but no side effects so i will continue taking it for at least one year. I will try to update here maybe every three months or something. For now I am just shedding, zero side effects, one month has passed.

Thank you all for your replies, wish you all the best!