2nd shed right around 3 months after HT??

MattyNJ1

... had my HT (2500 fue) about 10 weeks ago.

Experienced the shedding of the transplanted grafts around the 10th day after....im now closing in on 3 months, when things should start happening, and ive noticed small stubble from the recipient area in the sink the last week or so ( 4 or 5 hairs)..

but then today i ran my fingers thru the front recipient area and small stubble just rained down into the sink...more like 50-100 hairs.

Is it normal to have a 2nd shed around the 3 month mark?

I know these are the transplanted graft hairs bc they are tiny stubble...(about 1/8" )the rest of my hair has grown back at this point and is over 1" long now at least so its not native hair.

This has me worried, as i was not told anything about a 2nd shed....any input would be appreciated.

20180228_152633.thumb.jpg.cfdad5af5481a691867ae72177773410.jpg

12/11/17 2500 FUE Grafts with Dr. Steven Gable

You seem certain that they are transplanted hairs rather than native hairs that could have been lost due to the shockloss phenomenon. I agree that they probably are, but I wouldn't call this a second shed. It's more of a late shed. It isn't unheard of to shed transplanted hairs at this postoperative stage and you will most likely find that they fell because new hairs are about to push through. I'll be very interested in hearing how things are going in about a month's time.

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

I would go along with Matt's explanation, IE. the new hairs pushing the remnants of the transplanted hairs out. You are still within the boundaries of the "ugly duckling " stage.

I did have a considerable amount of shock loss of my native hair in the front...in fact i have less hair now than i did b4 the procedure, but im thinking they are transplants due to the small size. The rest of my native hair is nearly 2" long ...these are tiny stubble like if you just shaved your face....some even just tiny black specs? if you look closely at the pic... My logic is that if this was shock loss coming back...then why would it fall out again?

At any rate, i hope your right as i considered the same thing. Just strange bc i literally test my hair every single day to see if im having fall out, by running the fingers through every morning of the sink, and then again while i shampoo....everyday since HT (and initial shed) NOTHING...not even 1 hair until the past few days, and then yesterday they just rained down...(as per picture) . You can see they are very small stubble. So ill stay optimistic, and assume this is the beginning of the new growth cycle....just in time for spring lol Thanks guys!

I agree that the length of the hairs indicates that they're transplanted hairs. Sometimes they continue growing, but more often they don't. You're just a late shedder which doesn't necessarily mean that you'll be a late grower.

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

I agree that the length of the hairs indicates that they're transplanted hairs. Sometimes they continue growing, but more often they don't. You're just a late shedder which doesn't necessarily mean that you'll be a late grower.

i thought they all or most fell out around day 10...crazy...when i saw this i really thought the worst like the transplants died or something awful...

From your explanation of the size of the hairs, I would bet my paycheck they are transplanted hairs that just never fell out and are now being pushed out from the new growth that is starting. I’m guessing good things are in the very near future for you.

Echoing what the others have said to offer some extra reassurance. This sounds like a late shed situation to me and doesn't seem like anything to be alarmed about.

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56