Choosing A Propper Hairline

I have read a lot of posts about selecting the hairline based on your age. Some say the younger man (20's - 30's)wants the more youthful broad hairline. Older men should opt for a more mature look.

But what happens to those 20 something guys as they age into their 40's and 50's? If the transplanted hair never falls out, they will always have that youthful hairline.

Anyone have any thoughts on that subject??

I have read a lot of posts about selecting the hairline based on your age. Some say the younger man (20's - 30's)wants the more youthful broad hairline. Older men should opt for a more mature look.

But what happens to those 20 something guys as they age into their 40's and 50's? If the transplanted hair never falls out, they will always have that youthful hairline.

Anyone have any thoughts on that subject??

I guess it's a matter of personal preference, but my personal feelings is to look long term on the strategy. The transplanted hair won't fall out, in all likelihood, but the remainder of the hair will to some extent, Propecia or not. So to devote a disproportionate amount of resources on a low hairline, as if you were 18 again (not sure how old you are), and have it thin in the areas beyond the hairline, with lack of donor area to at least fill in to at least 25/cm. would not be the strategy I would take. I may need the resources for work in other areas. This is the approach I took anyway. Not sure how old you are, but I'm 39, and if I went low as if I was 18 again, I'm sure I'd be regretting cause it just isn't natural, and HT's are no good if not natural looking.

Exactly as tkotko says. This is also where it is oh-so-important to have a thorough consultation with an ethical physician. A physician should take the potential patients goals into consideration but also plan for the long-term. However, if the hairline is placed too far back and still looks very receded, it depletes the point of getting the hair transplant in the first place.

As with most things, a happy medium that best suites the patients facial structure, recession pattern, and long-term situation is the ideal goal. The hair loss sufferer should be realistic in their goals and the hair transplant physician should be ethical in taking donor hair supply and demand into consideration.

I guess the end-all-be-all of it is to take into consideration your age, recession and diffusion pattern, donor area supply and density, and your goals and be realistic. Plan for a slightly mature hairline at the most. I am 26 and I was ecstatic to recieve the hairline that I recieved (It is still growing in) because I was already used to seeing the severe temporal recession in the mirror.

I am sure that I am missing plenty regarding the subject, but I guess the point is to make sure that you are honest with yourself as well as the physician when going over your goals. When looking at a 60 year old man, I would look at them with more curiosity if they had an extremely low hairline than if they had a mature, distinguished hairline. That same distinguished hairline can look great on a mid- to late-twenties male as long as he wears his confidence as well as he wears his new hair.

-Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

Robert,

"However, if the hairline is placed too far back and still looks very receded, it depletes the point of getting the hair transplant in the first place."

Do you mean this torwards someone in there before 40'? If this person was in there

30's and at a NW6, would they not benefiet from a recessed looking hairline?

I think they would.

Just not sure of your posts statement.

Thanks, HBT, for pointing that out.

Like I said, I knew that I would be leaving something out.

Every hair loss sufferer naturally wants what he/she had at a younger age: a full head of hair. What I meant when I said that "if the hairline is placed too far back and still looks very receded, it depletes the point of getting the hair transplant in the first place" is that when one goes for a hair transplant procedure, the goal is, naturally, an aesthetic improvement.

Now, taking into consideration the obvious limitations of donor supply, I believe that a certain amount of aggression should be used to restore the hairline and/or crown to a point to where the patient gets an optimum result that he can be content with after only one procedure. Now, that does not discount the possible future need of subsequent procedures, but I think that it is important that a level of satisfaction should be obtained as early as possible. This may sound quite obvious to the "veterans" here, but I am only trying to reitterate the importance of good planning when it comes to adequate disbersement of that oh-so-precious donor hair.

-Robert

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

ok.. I gotcha!!

There is one thing that I feel, really should be brought to attention.

Yes, it is very important to aggressively attack, but only what you could be happy with. I don't feel that an agression torwards an average hairline only, is always the best approach if you are taking into consideration the best offense in one session.

But do agree with including the crown, and mid top.

I think Fellar posted it best with his photo of Tommy Lee Jones. He has not had a HT to my knowledge.

His hairline is distinguished and acceptable. And is very receded.

I think the coverage of hair behind draws the attention away.

Robert, I understand what you are saying, just felt like I should also say it from my point of view.

Thanks

Cleanhead,

It sounds like you have some very realistic goals and expectations. The other thing you have going for your self is your age now that you have shared it with us.

I am 49 soon to be 50 and I have an "adult" hairline placement. You will always have the option of lowering it a tad after your procedure reaches maturity if that is what you really want. A hairline can be lowered in a subsequent procedure but very difficult to raise so it never hurts to be a little conservative especially when post 40 years of age. Congrats on getting some hair back!

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Hi Guys,

I took in a photo of when I was 21 and said to the doc, see this photo.... please copy this. Im at 6 weeks post op so alot of it has shed and in rest phase but just after the op it looked excellent. One thing I noticed is it is probably about 0.5 cm higher when I compared it to my phot around the temples so im hoping its going to still look good when im older (27 at the moment). If not I may look a little bizzare but look, to be honest ill just be happy to have it.

My point... take in a photo of when you looked your best and think a few years ahead. Like everyone has said a good surgeon should be able to make the correct suggestions.

qvarnis

Good suggestion by Qvarnis to bring in some pics of hairlines you like.

Moving a hairline back, which was placed too low, is one of the harder things to do, as Gillenator said. It's impossible to have a surgery without leaving a scar. When you move a hairline back, you are creating scars right in the frontal hairline (or worse, on your forehead). Top doctors can do very nice work and leave minimal scarring, but a scar is still a scar. Avoid having to fix your hairline in this way at all costs.

This subject is one of my pet peeves. A lot of younger guys want to look good immediately and can't think long term. Some guys have even said "I won't care about my appearance when I'm 50!" (Baloney!)

It can take 10-20-30 years or more for this problem to rear it's head. And some guys lack the foresight to avoid it.

It can be trick for a young guy to find a hairline that will look good now, as well as when he's an older man.

Arfy,

Good to see you back.

It certainly is a trick to think in such long term into the future when one gets a hair tranplant rather early. I really do believe that this is where realistic goals and an ethical physician are imperative to the process (besides the many other reasons for having an ethical physician, of course).

-Robert

Well if any 20 year old's do get a "youthful" hairline, then when they are older it will already become the norm-I'm sure.

Think about this: HT's are becoming cheaper and cheaper, because demand is increasing and innovations are making it more and more inexpensive.

However, the feeling of depression one receives when they lose their hair is timeless; meaning that there will always be a market for HT from now on.

In the future (when we are old) "mature" hairlines will be all but obsolete.

My final thought on this is that even if you look like an idiot further down the road, who gives a fuck, you do this for you. If it makes you happy now, then thats all you can ask for. I've had many friends, and acquaintances die in car crashes in just the past four years. You'll gonna die, don't regret anything.

Arfy's correct. I turn 50 in January and do I still care about my appearance INCLUDING my hair? YOU BET! In fact I hope to have one last procedure and I do not plan on dying any time soon.

I have six diseases I am battling every day of my life. Uncontrolled diabetes, arthritis, degenerative lower disc disease, cardio-vascular disease, acid reflux, and polycythemia vera which is an incurable blood disease. I "have" to take medications and do special blood treatments every month just to maintain my health.

I do not take life for granted. It is what we make it as individuals. No one plans on dying, especially pre-maturely.

You would possibly think someone like myself would not care anymore, but it's not true. When one's life flashes in front of one's eyes, you really take inventory of how valuable life really is. It's when we really stop and smell the roses that life itself comes alive! Think about it. I remember when my hemotologist advised me that if the theraputic phlebotomies did not lower my hemoglobin, I would have to start chemotherapy, my first reaction was, "will I lose my hair?" Thank goodness that has not happened, but it could in the future. I will hold onto my hair as long as I can and maintain a positive outlook every day I am granted one more to live. My life has never been fuller!

By the way, the oldest patient I had ever enrolled for a HT procedure was 79 years old. In the beginning I kept encouraging him to think things over as I thought he was too old and had better things to spend his money on, yet he kept coming back wanting some hair back. As I became more and more acquainted with him he finally shared with me how he had lost his wife five years earlier and all he wanted was a little more enjoyment in life and possibly meet someone special. That floored me because this retired man was absolutely sincere and had more left to offer in life. He felt a little hair would give him the confidence to at least get out and socialize again which he ended up doing.

I have stayed in touch with him and guess what? He just got re-married in 2002, sent me a photo of him and his new bride, and he looks ten years younger! Was it his new hair that changed his life? No, it was his new attitude and confidence that helped him overcome his hidden thoughts that maybe he WAS too old and all he had left was to wrinkle up and die like an old prune.

It is never too late to start living again, any of us, even if our time is cut short. It's all in how we view and value life that makes the difference! icon_smile.gif

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Gillenator,

Thanks for the great post. It was very moving and really made me think about what's really important in my life.

Sometimes I piss and moan about trivial things that I have no control over. That's when my wife tells me to go down to the burn unit at the local hospital and then tell her who's got more problems to worry about.

I'm very fortunate in that I don't have medical health problems, (other than mental)-I can't stand being bald and sometimes I can't control my temper or my big mouth!

But anyway, I just want to say thanks for all the good advice and encouragement you give to everyone on this site and I wish you good luck and good health!

Cleanhead,

Thank you too for your nice comments my friend. I think everyone who has posted on this thread wants the best for you and none of us would like to see anyone regret any decisions whether it involves hairline placement, density, or really anything without being "fully" informed.

There are many veterans on this site who wish they had the foreknowledge back when they were younger and so there is a wealth of information that we can share with each other.

Life's blessings are the richest when we reach out and help each other. So my friend, I wish you the very best in all of your informed decisions and always know you have genuine friends at this network. Keep us in the loop!

Hi trspl,

Thanks for the encouraging words and I wish you the best as well! icon_smile.gif Take care.

Gillenator

The hairline issue's a nutcracker for me, personally. I want to lower it, but probably can't even make a guess at a safe level for years now. I personally think a "safer" hair transplant that has better general coverage looks better than an aggressive hairline HT after more balding occurs. The whole point is you're balding, gotta think ahead and take that condition into consideration. Wow, sounds pretty grim saying it like that. icon_smile.gif

Hi Guys,

This thread is sorted, some great comments, Ive just had a bizzare thought though. The biggest issue we face (or eventually will) is lack of doner hair. Has anyone discussed the use of doner hair from a sibling. Sounds a bit wierd but would it be fair to assume your brother's hair would grow if transplanted it (assuming you paid him enough to give it up) icon_smile.gif

Failing that, why cant HT surgeons take a strip from each side of your head and not the back. Ive had almost 2800 removed in total and can feel the difference in the back of my head but the sides still have a heap of hair. Alot more than the back.

Any thoughts?

qvarnis

Hi Qvarnis,

Terminal hair grafts can indeed be harvested from the sides of the scalp however only FUE/FIT should be considered in harvesting that area as laxity can be far less in the sides vs the back area. There is little to no visible scarring utilizing FUE/FIT extractions.

And that in fact is the reason most surgeons are reluctant to pull a strip from the sides as the potential for a wide scar is increased quite a bit.

JoeHT,

Good comments and I could not agree more. Most juvenile hairlines commence from the frontalis area. "Adult hailines" generally are situated approximately four finger-breadths above the eyebrows and even higher if a patient desires a more uniform coverage approach as you mentioned. Just getting a frame back in the frontal zone can make a tremendous difference in detracting away from a bald appearance. If all goes well, the hairline can then begin to be slightly lowered in a subsequent procedure(s). Best wishes to all!

Gillenator

gillenator/joe ht

How's it going, that being the case (fue from the sides) is it reasonable to assume we all should be able to extract at least 5000+ grafts.

Reason I mention 5k is some of the best HT's I have seen have had around this many + grafts extracted. Take for instance Futzy, from what ive seen of his pics he was pretty much out of hair and then achieved a total coverage with excellent density + he made a good chice of surgeon who got the most out of what grafts were available. Many of the other pics on this site and others show excellent results.

My point being is 5k a magical mark to aim for? I know you need to take hair shaft thickness into account. What do you guys think?

qvarnis

Qvarnis,

You mentioned that you had 2800 grafts already and it sounds like you want either additional coverage or more density to what is there now.

Futzy has outstanding hair characteristics and remember you are looking at photos vs seeing him in bright light. Either way yes 5,000 grafts can do miracles in providing most folks good coverage. So if you want more, that is your personal decision and it sounds like you have enough donor for it.

We can never assume everyone has the density and/or laxity to accomodate 5,000 harvestable grafts however most patients do have that many starting with a virgin scalp and having the work done by a good HT surgeon who will minimize transection. There are patients however who have already progressed to NW6 & NW7 and would potentially need more than 5,000 grafts but lack the donor to fulfill coverage front to back. In other words there are patients who have much larger recipient areas to fill in, but may not have enough donor/density to attain the coverage they would ultimately want.

You want to get examined in person, have your donor density re-calculated, laxity re-tested, and then explain your goals to the surgeon. A good experienced HT surgeon will then provide you in what he/she feels is the graft count to achieve your goal based on "your" hair characteristics. And of course providing you have the laxity for it.

Gillenator