1,500-1,700 Grafts Enough for 2nd Procedure?

Hi guys,

So I had my first FUT procedure 5 years ago and the doc gave me 2,200 grafts. I've been thinking about a second procedure now and went to see the doc and he told me due to not great density in the donor area and scalp tightness the first time, he could do roughly 1,500-1,700 grafts this time.

See photos of my head attached (keep in mind 5 years has passed since my first procedure and I've balded a bit since)

I got some reasonable coverage after my first procedure so do you think 1,500-1,700 grafts will help much? In other words, if you were me and wanted more hair, would you do the procedure for an additional 1,500-1,700 grafts?

Also, can anyone post a pic or two of some before and afters of roughly that amount?

Thanks,

IMG_2108.thumb.jpg.4d649048e85b0ad9a2a67694f54ffb11.jpg

5b32f952b9661_FullSizeRender(1).jpg.29e39a79c24858f9855bc8c217a3b5c0.jpg

It'll improve your density, but it would not surprise me if you wanted another one in a year.

Hair loss patient and transplant veteran. Once a Norwood 3A.

Received 2,700 grafts with coalition doctor on 8/13/2010

Received 2,380 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 9/30/2011

Received 1,820 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 7/28/2016

Hi Baldeagle,

Your hair actually resembles a UK patient I send over to Dr Bhatti for surgery a while back. He had a few more than your proposed 1700 but hopefully the pics will give you some idea of what improvement can be made.

Just click the link below

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/185576-dr-bhatti-9-months-result-uk-patient-24-years-old-2218-fue-grafts.html

If placed strategically it can make a very big improvement. However, due to your stated physiological limitation it would be best to get qualified opinions from multiple clinics. Just because your donor was determined to be "tight" by your current physician does not mean that another might agree or disagree, and some physicians may be better at utilizing the FUT donor than others so you may have more hair to take.

With 2000 grafts in your first procedure and "only" 1700 grafts available in a second procedure, you would be in a very rare position. I don't believe I've ever heard Dr. Arocha tell a patient he has only 3700 grafts available via strip (or close to that range) in two or more procedures unless they were being told they were not a candidate for strip to begin with. Call more clinics, send photos, and get more opinions. You may need to visit clinics in person or at least send video showing your scalp laxity.

Online representative for Dr. Bernard Arocha

Learn more about Hair Transplants in Texas!

If placed strategically it can make a very big improvement. However, due to your stated physiological limitation it would be best to get qualified opinions from multiple clinics. Just because your donor was determined to be "tight" by your current physician does not mean that another might agree or disagree, and some physicians may be better at utilizing the FUT donor than others so you may have more hair to take.

With 2000 grafts in your first procedure and "only" 1700 grafts available in a second procedure, you would be in a very rare position. I don't believe I've ever heard Dr. Arocha tell a patient he has only 3700 grafts available via strip (or close to that range) in two or more procedures unless they were being told they were not a candidate for strip to begin with. Call more clinics, send photos, and get more opinions. You may need to visit clinics in person or at least send video showing your scalp laxity.

I see your point, but please keep in mind he did 2,200-2,400 the first time and is suggesting 1,700 this time. That's a total of 4,000 grafts. Still not good enough?

You're going to want a lot more than 1700 more grafts so be careful about wasting $ and time on another procedure that's TOO SMALL.

Again: am I not physically limited to what the doc said my head can provide? Sure, I'd love another 2,400 grafts but what makes everyone so sure that with another doc this will be feasible?

We don't know which doctor you're talking about. Some doctors are only comfortable doing small procedures so without knowing any more details, I would advise that you make sure that your chosen doctor has the skill and facilities to perform larger procedures.

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

We don't know which doctor you're talking about. Some doctors are only comfortable doing small procedures so without knowing any more details, I would advise that you make sure that your chosen doctor has the skill and facilities to perform larger procedures.

It's Dr. John Gillespie from the Gillespie Clinic in Calgary, Canada. He's been doing transplants for over 30 years. From the research I've done, he's pretty good. I've had a friend go to him as well for 2 procedures (2,400 and 2,200 grafts each time) and his hair looks pretty darn good.

Additionally, although some people on here would have me believe the results from my first procedure aren't great, they don't realize it's been 6 years since I had my transplant and have balded quite a bit since then.

I should mention, I have a consultation coming up with Hasson & Wong (in Vancouver) coming up soon to see what they have to say. Can anyone comment?

Thanks,