Regarding before and after pictures posted by clinics

Not sure if I'm an asshole for calling this out, but after seeing a lot of these floating around and MPB sufferers in vulnerable emotional states trying to find the best surgeons I feel it's something that needs to be addressed or regulated better.

I would say more often than you should see, these before and after photos aren't really consistent in terms of important factors like lighting and hairstyle. In some cases it's blatantly obvious, the before photo appears to be in the harshest light possible, hair combed back to expose thinning and recession..then the after is in more favourable lighting and hair combed forward making it look thicker. In my book that's borderline false advertising on what has actually been achieved.

I've spent years perfecting the art of hiding my receding hairline to make it appear like I have a good head of hair, so I know how much of difference styling can make to coverage and thickness. I guess all I'm trying to say is there a way to get more consistency in terms of before and after shots posted by clinics?

Mods: feel free to move to another sub forum, felt this one was appropriate.

Benny,

I appreciate you creating this post. We've been after physicians for years asking them to take consistent photos. We tell them that if the photos aren't consistent that they are most likely going to be called out and members of our forum won't be as impressed or convinced that the result is as good as it looks in the photos. I try to reply to as many albums as I can encouraging doctors to be more consistent if it's relevant.

That said, I do genuinely believe in the physicians that are sharing their results as they've been invited and approved for recommendation by this community. Many patients have posted their results from these doctors as well solidifying their skill, experience and excellence. That said, I think we should all stay on these doctors and ask them to take better photos for everybody's sake.

Best wishes,

Bill

Thanks for acknowledging Bill, now I feel like less of an asshole :)

And not to say there arent clinics that actually do things the right way. The ones you would expect like the H&W's, Lorenzos, Bisangas of the world have a body of work you can clearly reference. Which was one of the main driving factors behind my own choice of surgeon for upcoming HT.

I just feel that everyone should be held to the same standard I guess.

It's hilarious. Surgeon's making thousands every day and don't have a dedicated properly lit background and photo area using a high-end camera or digital video recording equipment.

It is sloppy, lazy and many times deceptive. They should be called out and on some weekend go out and spend a few thousand of their cash and train themselves how to do proper before/after pics with true consistency.

They are not unintelligent people. I applaud the physicians that are doing this right and the ones that aren't should be called out.

But whatever, unless they are shamed into it or it begins affecting their bottom line the docs that aren't doing it properly will continue to be either deceptive or lazy.

Simple as.

From what I know an attempt has been made to at least try and standardise this. ???, whilst working at H&W, made a go of making sure the images coming out of that clinic were consistent and unbiased. Ie. blue background, consistent profiles, same lighting, etc. That is still being used today and at other reputable clinics. Shapiro has a dedicated room at their clinic where professional lighting and cameras are used for consistency. Others I'm sure have similar practices. But ultimately, the HT sector is full of cowboys and there is no regulation related to this. It is up to the consumer to make rational judgements on the photos and evidence presented to him/her. The patient should, quite frankly, have the wherewithal to spot dodginess and search for a reputable clinic. As ever, the cream rises to the top which is why we see the same names and clinics being recommended over and over again.