Soaking your head in warm bath water after a HT?

I was wondering what the general opinion was with soaking your head in warm water (when you take a bath for example) to help with the scabbing and general healing process of the recipient area, within 1 week post OP?

Appreciate any comments.

Ask your physician, typically after a week that's probably fine, I wouldn't do it before then though.

Between 7 and 10 days after surgery, the grafts are usually firmly secure, but exercising caution is wise.

Hair loss patient and transplant veteran. Once a Norwood 3A.

Received 2,700 grafts with coalition doctor on 8/13/2010

Received 2,380 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 9/30/2011

Received 1,820 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 7/28/2016

Most if not all surgeons will not want their patients to use anything other than luke warm or room temperature water when washing their scalp post-op for at least 7 days or until the crusts have been removed which is typically 10 days post-op.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Mr. Jimbrann,

Bath water is generally considered to be less than ideal with regards to healing due to the dirt and germs that remain behind in the water. A shower is a better solution to rinsing your scalp and the scabs will come off when they are ready but you should always stick to the protocols provided by your doctor and contact them immediately with such questions if you still within the first week of your recovery.

In my HT's I never stepped under a shower head until some days after the procedure. I think the first few days were spraying my head with a spray bottle with distilled water, and a couple of days in I could pour one cup of water over. At the point where I would have gentle shower water being applied, I would touch the scab areas and gently massage them; no pealing or over hydrating, just coaxing them along.

From reading other responses there's different patient follow up care issued.

But regardless of who's procedure you are following, I don't think any would suggest soaking your head anytime soon.

JimBran,

Showering is good but I'd stay away from bath water for the reasons Dr. Bhatti posted above. You put your feet and other dirty parts of your body in the same water and then you're dunking your head that needs to heal and stay clean in it? Not a good idea. That said, your doctor should have provided some postoperative instructions. I would follow those. That said, I know my physician said it was ok to start working the scabs off (in a gentle way with my finger tips in the shower with shampoo) after only 3 or 4 days. That said, other doctors are more conservative and suggest waiting at least a week. That's why it's good to follow your own physician's instructions.

Best wishes,

Bill