HTs questions

Hello everyone. I have a question since I'm considering a HT for my hairline, how do they implant the hair, do they create a new hairline which they fill it up (red line), or they can implant behind the hairline as well? (blue arrows)

also, why does the hairline in the video look so fake? not enough density, too straight, lowered too much? what's up with it? (pause the video at 00:58)

Thanks a lot!

• Moderators
do they create a new hairline which they fill it up (red line), or they can implant behind the hairline as well? (blue arrows)

Everyone loses hair differently, so it all depends on how much hair you have in the front and how far back the frontal hair thinning goes, but grafts will be put behind the hairline if the area is thinning a lot.

also, why does the hairline in the video look so fake? not enough density, too straight, lowered too much? what's up with it? (pause the video at 00:58)

This is at 9 months and if you look at 1:06 it looks like he is combing the front up and back somewhat to try to hide the thinning area behind the hairline that hasn't fully grown in yet. He's also probably trying to figure out how to comb it the best way since he hasn't had hair there in a while. That happens. It's sort of an experiment in how to style your hair once it starts growing in. If you look at the 12 month mark near the end, it looks better (to me) now that it's fully grown in and he has figured out how to style it better as he has the front a little shorter.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

Hairlossdude,

Sorry, I did end up deleting the video because it's largely promotional. But if you want people to see a particular image at 58 seconds, I suggest pausing it, taking a screenshot and then posting it. We have strict policies against website links, videos or photos that promote physicians we haven't given permission to.

Thanks for understanding,

Bill

Most doctors will create an outline for the hairline that is a general reference for the shape of the hairline and for the placement in relation to the various facial features. For instance, doctors will measure the distance from the glabella, the area between your eyebrows, to determine how high or low your hairline should be. They will also measure the sides of your hairline and their distance from the eyebrows. They will combine this with the overall facial structure in creating the hairline plan.

The filling of the hairline will involve using single hair grafts for the very front of the hairline and the larger grafts will be placed behind the hairline for more fullness. The grafts are then blended into your existing hair by making the incisions in the same angle and direction as the existing hair so that when the new hair grows it blends with the old hair. In a case like yours many clinics will shave the front of your hair in order to have a more clear field of view in order to avoid damage but doctors like Dr. Arocha do not require such shaving and will still be able to avoid damaging your native hair.

Since I did not see the video you are referencing I will generalize why some hairlines look unnatural. Unnatural hairlines can be created by inexperienced doctors and in many cases the hairlines are pluggy in appearance because too many multi-hair grafts have been used. With FUE too many clinics are not using microscopes to refine their grafts so this can lead to the pluggy appearance as well. The straight appearance of some hairlines simply comes down to a lack of artistry. Some doctors have an artistic appreciation and skill while others do not.

I wish I could be more specific for you but these are basic answers that hopefully will help you with your research.

Online representative for Dr. Bernard Arocha

Learn more about Hair Transplants in Texas!

Hello everyone. I have a question since I'm considering a HT for my hairline, how do they implant the hair, do they create a new hairline which they fill it up (red line), or they can implant behind the hairline as well? (blue arrows)

Thanks a lot!

From what I have learned based on my readings, they implant the hair grafts may creating microincisions on the head. The new hairline that will be created will depend on the surgeon's assessment, your age, and other factors. When you get your hair transplant done by a good surgeon, they make sure that the hairline created will suit your features well.

i hope this helps

The Hair Transplant 101 for Men - Australian Institute of Hair Transplant

I've read a lot of great insights on their blog too.

The hairline design is an aesthetic practice as much as a surgical one, which is why it is important that you go to a physician with some cosmetic skill so that they can create a naturalistic appearance for your hair.

Observe the hairlines you see in people that are not losing their hair, the imperfections and nuances of them should be mimicked by a hair restoration physician.

Hair loss patient and transplant veteran. Once a Norwood 3A.

Received 2,700 grafts with coalition doctor on 8/13/2010

Received 2,380 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 9/30/2011

Received 1,820 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 7/28/2016

• Administrators

The hairline is the single most important factor when it comes to restoring ones hair. A lot of things come to play when recreating the hairline, where to place the hairline, how far back do you extend the temple corners, making sure you have macro irregularities as well as micro irregularities.

So let me explain, where to place the hairline is a loaded question, the general rule of thumb is Leonardo da Vinci’s “rule of thirds” which states the hairline should be a third from the glabella line (eyebrows), however this isn’t always possible depending on the severity of the hair loss, this is why most good surgeons place the widows peak a third from the glabella line and recede the corners in order to conserve grafts (again depends on age, and hair loss pattern).

Now making sure the hairline has macro and micro irregularities is also important, this is what’s is seen in nature, a straight hairline with multiple follicles in the front is not seen in nature. What is macro and micro irregularities? Let me show you a picture below to show you what they are to better give you an understanding. See the macro irregularities is the larger overall changes in shape that occur in the hairline, the micro irregularities are the small minor maybe 1-3 hair changes that occur within the hairline. This is seen throughout the entire hairline.

Lastly, hairlines are different for different ethnicities, for example most men of African origin have naturally lower more square hairlines then Caucasian men, so you want to make sure you choose a doctor who has experience recreating hairlines for different ethnicities hope this info helps.

3713BA54-78CE-4073-9046-92B968B119A8.jpeg

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• 3 weeks later...