Procedure booked with Dr Cooley in Dec 2017

Hi folks, i just wanted to share that i have paid a deposit for a FUT procedure with Dr Cooley in December. Super excited and super nervous at the same time. It was a tough choice between some top surgeons and i will continue by stating that had Dr.Konior's wait time not been so long (and of course its not his fault!) i would've booked with him, such was the confidence i had with him. It really left me a choice between Cooley and Gabel. Gabel is a top top top guy and i would highly recommend him to anyone. He spent an 90 mins with me on a Sunday morning (his time) going through the specifics. He's an extremely passsionate guy and at the same time very friendly and i would highly recommend him to anyone. I guess Cooley edged it due to the number of successful documented procedures he has done without shaving native hairs (not that Gabel said he couldn't). Gabel was aware that i was choosing between him and Cooley and i his words were "you'll be in safe hands with either of us". I even emailed Dr.Konior to help me choose between the two and his words were "both are top notch!". I also knew they were both highly respected on this forum and are very ethical in what they do.

The experience with Cooley's clinic has been great. Lollie has been super effiecient in arranging the day and again in answering a ton of questions! She at short notice was able to set up a call between Cooley and myself and he came across very knowledgable and generally a friendly guy. I guess my only regret is not being able to schedule time to meet him in person but I was able to give him (and Gabel) Dr.Koniors in person donor assessment and they both agreed with this!

I'd like to thank 1978Matt for his constant support. He's a great guy who has helped (and still does) me through the decision making process and all the advice he has provided. Speegs is another one that shared his story and helped answer a ton of questions. Thanks to you both! In addition thanks to this forum and all the great posters, without reading your experiences / advice, it would've been even tougher. Thanks folks!

If anyone has any advice in preparing for the big day please do reply to this thread. I'll be creating a thread to document the journey as well!

Edited by UKLad81
Corrections

Congratulations on the deposit being completed. I remember once I paid the deposit I didn't really pay attention to my hair.. before the surgery I wondered if I could always feel like that I would never have done a procedure

Main thing is to stay calm and focus on other things in life.. try not to obsess and keep a positive frame of mind..

You've spoken to 3 top docs; any of the 3 would have given you amazing results.

What's your game plan for the week of surgery? will you stay a few extra days or leave the day after the procedure?

July 2017 - Dr Cooley - 2575 grafts

Congratulations UKLad81!

That is a monumental decision. OK maybe not monumental but it sure does feel like a weight is lifted when you have made that decision. Now, if every patient would actually read the pre-op instructions...

I know your documenting your own personal journey would be helpful for someone else. Thank you for sharing.

ArochaAngel4247

Representative and Patient Educator for: Dr. Bernardino A. Arocha, Coalition Member. I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are mine.

Congratulations on the deposit being completed. I remember once I paid the deposit I didn't really pay attention to my hair.. before the surgery I wondered if I could always feel like that I would never have done a procedure

Main thing is to stay calm and focus on other things in life.. try not to obsess and keep a positive frame of mind..

You've spoken to 3 top docs; any of the 3 would have given you amazing results.

What's your game plan for the week of surgery? will you stay a few extra days or leave the day after the procedure?

Thanks mate appreciate your words! I know what you mean. I do look at the balding areas and say to myself "relax, you'll have hair there in 7-8 months". I just need to work on my patience game and not panic.

In terms of the game plan, I'm planning on remaining in Charlotte for a week. I just don't feel comfortable travelling the day after the procedure. I imagine any swelling would've subsided by this time as well. What would you recommend? As its also Xmas time by the time I go back to work in Jan it would've been about 3-4 weeks. I'm just dreading the ugly duckling stage. I can cope with the transplanted hairs being shed as I have almost nothing there at the moment but I'm a tad worried about the frontal forelock. I guess I would just have to apply more toppik!

Congratulations UKLad81!

That is a monumental decision. OK maybe not monumental but it sure does feel like a weight is lifted when you have made that decision. Now, if every patient would actually read the pre-op instructions...

I know your documenting your own personal journey would be helpful for someone else. Thank you for sharing.

ArochaAngel4247

You're not wrong at all it was a huge decision made even harder choosing between two great doctors. I know I was shaking when I said "yes" and paid the deposit.

I will certainly document as best as I can. Thank you!

Congratulations...you have obviously done your research because if I had to pick 3 doctors, it would be the 3 you mentioned. Good luck and feel free to reach out with any questions.

Thanks a lot, the decision was very hard but like others have said on other threads "you really cant go wrong with either of them!".

UKLad81:

Part of the recovery process is using the spray the clinic provides

Regardless of flying domestically or internationally, TSA will usually confiscate any liquids of a certain size in your hand luggage. Maybe reach out to Lollie to see if they can give you a 2nd smaller spray bottle that you can use while in flight?

If you're staying back for a week:

a) I moved to the Hampton from the hilton; both are great but Hampton is newer. They are also side by side. You can't go wrong with either but Hampton was a $ savings per nite vs Hilton

b) see if the clinic can wash your hair every morning while you're there. It makes life a TON easier

c) if you're not renting a car there is lyft/uber available in the area so you can get out if need be but I'd recommend just staying in the hotel and only leaving for food/or have food delivered.

if you're flying internationally, see if you can use any points to upgrade your return to business class so you can have a bit more comfort. It's important to rest well.

Thanks mate appreciate your words! I know what you mean. I do look at the balding areas and say to myself "relax, you'll have hair there in 7-8 months". I just need to work on my patience game and not panic.

In terms of the game plan, I'm planning on remaining in Charlotte for a week. I just don't feel comfortable travelling the day after the procedure. I imagine any swelling would've subsided by this time as well. What would you recommend? As its also Xmas time by the time I go back to work in Jan it would've been about 3-4 weeks. I'm just dreading the ugly duckling stage. I can cope with the transplanted hairs being shed as I have almost nothing there at the moment but I'm a tad worried about the frontal forelock. I guess I would just have to apply more toppik!

July 2017 - Dr Cooley - 2575 grafts

@forgotpassword thanks that really helps. Thanks for reminding me about the spray. I'm aware that you can take up to 100ml on a flight but will check with Lollie. How long would you need to apply the spray after the procedure? If its just the first few days then I'm okay as I'll be staying in Charlotte for a week.

Great suggestions with regards to the accomodation. I was thinking of moving somewhere else the day after the procedure and had Hampton as a possibility. To be honest, I don't plan on going out anywhere. Will be spent in the hotel catching up with some series on Netflix.

With regards to the number of grafts I'll be paying for 4000 grafts and FUT procedure.

@Speegs thanks mate, i really do appreciate all your help and sharing your experiences.

Apart from keeping calm before, any other advice after the procedure. What about sleeping positions? Upright is what everyone else is doing? I'll be taking one of those in flight travel cushions which i will use for the first few days.

Normally my beanbag travel pillow is my favorite, but after the HT the inflatable was better for me. Usually I make it firm but letting have more squish was better. If you love your travel pillow, you might not want to use it without putting the hotel towel over it. Or just make one by rolling up a hand towel or small bath towel.

I am a side sleeper, so I put the two king pillows tucked in on my sides, to try to prevent rolling over. I was mostly successful. Tip: ask the hotel to bring you extra pillows. I made a recliner with mine and tucked a thick one under my knees to be comfortable and immobile.

Tip: See if you can get the spray shipped. Ideally it would arrive before you leave for your procedure.

Excited for you!

ArochaAngel4247

Representative and Patient Educator for: Dr. Bernardino A. Arocha, Coalition Member. I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are mine.

@forgotpassword thanks that really helps. Thanks for reminding me about the spray. I'm aware that you can take up to 100ml on a flight but will check with Lollie. How long would you need to apply the spray after the procedure? If its just the first few days then I'm okay as I'll be staying in Charlotte for a week.

Great suggestions with regards to the accomodation. I was thinking of moving somewhere else the day after the procedure and had Hampton as a possibility. To be honest, I don't plan on going out anywhere. Will be spent in the hotel catching up with some series on Netflix.

With regards to the number of grafts I'll be paying for 4000 grafts and FUT procedure.

@Speegs thanks mate, i really do appreciate all your help and sharing your experiences.

Apart from keeping calm before, any other advice after the procedure. What about sleeping positions? Upright is what everyone else is doing? I'll be taking one of those in flight travel cushions which i will use for the first few days.

Nothing profound is needed, just sleep on your back and be conscious to stay as still as possible and not to roll over or on to your side.

An elevated head is helpful but I wouldn't be overly concerned with sleeping upright.

Just follow your doctor's instructions verbatim and you'll be fine.

Hair loss patient and transplant veteran. Once a Norwood 3A.

Received 2,700 grafts with coalition doctor on 8/13/2010

Received 2,380 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 9/30/2011

Received 1,820 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 7/28/2016

Thanks folks, some great advice here which i will certainly take note of.

I'm doing the laxity exercise and have been doing about 20/25 mins daily for the last couple of weeks. How do you know if you're doing right? I know the sides feel looser whilst the back doesn't feel like it has changed. What should one expect?

Two thumbs up for doing the proper research before your procedure, and I'm very happy for you that you were able to make a confident decision in the end. (Even though I'm sure it's still quite nerve-racking.)

Best of luck with the procedure. December will be here before you know it. :)

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

• 3 weeks later...

Hi forgotpassword, were they able to wash your hair every morning? I'm getting a procedure with Dr. Cooley as well and that would be amazing as I'll be staying a week also.

UKLad81:

If you're staying back for a week:

b) see if the clinic can wash your hair every morning while you're there. It makes life a TON easier