Cowlick, weird crown or balding?

Is this my cowlick, weird crown or balding?  

6 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hello! :(

For the last couple years i've noticed or finally saw my own crown and dont' know whether if it's cowlick, my weird crown or balding. I am Asian so i know our hair follicals are more coarse but more spread out. The black against white scalp makes it more noticable as well. Anyhow, all my friends and family said i always have this weird crown as long as they can remember. Maybe they are just being nice saying that.. I just want others' people unbais opinion whether should i start propecia to counter this or prevent hairloss. These are the following i've observed.

1)Shower i would normally lose 5-12 hairs each time i wash my hair.

2)I did a DNA test and says I do not have the baldness gene and if i have 10% of being bald.

3)Father, Mother, mother's dad and mom have full set of hair or close to it. No one in my family that my parents know of is bald.

4)My hair use to be so hard to manage, but recently it seems it's a bit more "flat" and doesn't stay up as easy. Before i had to use TONS of gel. Now I use just a little or use paste/mud instead of gel if i want to keep it up.

5)My hair use to be more coarse with each time I cut my own hair they get stuck in my skin like splinters. I still get this but not as much. I had to get pinchers to pull them out.

6)Family and love ones said I always had the same shape/crown as before.

7)I'm comparing my cowlick/crown today vs 2 years ago and kinda looks the same...

8)I am not showing any receding hairline in the front at all

p.s. last 2 pics are from 2 years ago. Also i apologize for the upsidedown pics, dont' know how to fix it.

Sincerely,

Damon

dry1.thumb.jpg.7bf22e88ba8e93ddf9d216c8fea2fad2.jpg

dry2.thumb.jpg.748817a5320c7484a732fd61b6ef330e.jpg

dry3.thumb.jpg.a7c4fd012fa46c767f40fd8524b011f2.jpg

dry4.thumb.jpg.8ebd6e620068256943c09f1d382d46f7.jpg

wet1.thumb.jpg.7a42fe31ec34fc2725f9b1ede51a68b7.jpg

wet2.thumb.jpg.86961bcac708d7c2b14a54e2e1e34620.jpg

wet3.thumb.jpg.6be043037ffa5c595749c81401ac24de.jpg

wet4.thumb.jpg.da489d0daca916357f2074707ea1fc81.jpg

z2015.1.thumb.JPG.d29bd7dcc0370734ca896bde2feee0ba.JPG

z2015.thumb.jpeg.749e6c1e37f69c9fddd10bbdb736e868.jpeg

It does appear from your photos that you are experiencing the beginning stages of MPB in your crown, and I agree that the wide color contrast between your black hair and fair complexion causes more ultra-violet light to reflect off of your scalp making the bare spot more visible.

And yes, low dose finasteride is most efficient in this area of the scalp (crown) so the best thing to do is make an appointment with a reputable doctor who treats hair loss and get some advice on starting the medication.

Minoxidil is an over-the-counter product that can also potentially help regrow some of the missing hair in the point of your crown.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

If it were me, I would try Rogaine Foam in the spot to see if it fills in with some rejuvenated growth.

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Damon: looks like you have a great hairline; if nervous about the crown maybe grow the front out and brush it back? Or style your hair differently? I'm not sure how old you are but I would say most people wouldn't notice any hair loss on you

July 2017 - Dr Cooley - 2575 grafts

Hey Damon,

Your hair looks good but you noted in your post some points which are common with male pattern loss. The whorl you see at the back of the head is normal, but when your hair begins to change it will become increasingly noticeable. You look like a healthy guy. Are you taking any medication(s)? Do you have any health issues? BTW, good work in the gym.

ArochaAngel4247

Edited by ArochaAngel4247
Duh! It is not MAIL Pattern Loss LOL

Representative and Patient Educator for: Dr. Bernardino A. Arocha, Coalition Member. I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are mine.

It does look like you might have some loss at your crown due to MPB. However, it's impossible to know with 100% certainty without having seen any changes that have occurred. You've done the right thing by taking photos, as it gives you a record of where you are now and you can compare these photos to ones you take in the future.

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

A microscopic exam and evaluation can confirm as to whether this minor loss is in fact the beginning stages of MPB.

Low dose finasteride is most efficient in this area of the scalp and worth looking into IMHO.

Otherwise as I stated earlier, Rogaine Foam 5% can potentially thicken it up.

Gillenator

I agree you should get checked if you are willing to get on finasteride if it's positive, but it doesn't look like hair loss to me.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Sometimes the best advice is to just keep an eye on it. If you see things changing, then go back to see your doc.

ArochaAngel4247

Representative and Patient Educator for: Dr. Bernardino A. Arocha, Coalition Member. I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are mine.

• 2 weeks later...