I'm I going bald? should I get a small HT session?

rd0787

rd0787,

There are no hard solid rules that prevent a younger person from getting a hair transplant. However, getting a hair transplant now with such minimal hair loss and no medical treatment to stop its progression, you are going to be undertaking a huge committment.

Let's say you lower your hairline now and don't use too many grafts. In 2 years from now, you lose more hair behind the hairline. Now instead of natural recession, you have a row of hair in the front with a gap of scalp behind it. You are going to want to get another hair transplant to fill in the area. Let's say you lose more hair another year or two later...get the picture?

Just be sure that if you do consider a hair transplant, that you are ready to commit.

In my opinion, young patients with minimal hair loss (especially those that don't want to take Propecia to attempt to slow down/stop its progression) are not good candidates for a hair transplant for the above and other reasons.

In addition to the above, younger patients are looking to achieve their original density. This takes a lot of donor hair in a small area to achieve. With a finite donor supply, this is a bad idea because it's easy to run out of donor hair in the event you lose excessive amounts of hair (which is quite possible).

In my opinion, you may want to reconsider Propecia. Many consumers don't experience side effects, though I don't want to minimize the possibility. Be sure to speak to your doctor more in depth about it.

Best wishes,

Bill

thanks for your reply Bill. I don't can about my hairline...in fact I think it's manly and it suits me well icon_smile.gif ..as long as it doesn't get any worse!

My hair thinning on top does bother me very much though...I can't have shoulder length hair!

Anybody have an predictions? when will it become bad? NW3+? possibly before I hit 30?

You are in a solid position. Based off of what I see and more importantly what you've said.....get on fin ASAP and live it up!

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

I haven't encountered a doctor who has reported one case of "permanent ED" -- and I've talked to quite a few, and all but one had 0 interest in selling me fin. I've gone through episodes where I truly felt fin was hampering my "libido"....I've been proven wrong each time, ultimately, and it was other factors. Either way, it's extremely rare to have any such side-effect, let alone one that isn't reversible.

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

every picture you're showing is of your hairline, not the top, so it's tough to judge...

however, at your age you should definitely gives the meds a try first. young guys can respong very well to fin. if you're concerned about loss of libido, not all guys experience that side effect (i certainly didn't) and if it is a problem you just discontinue the meds...

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

do NOT get a HT anytime soon.... you need to keep in mind that it is VERY common for EVERYONE to see some scalp in overhead pictures usuing FLASH, like you did.... this is natural... grab a girl with long hair like you and take similar shots and compare..do you show signs of mild hairloss?? maybe. but a HT may cause you more problems later on if you get one this early in the game..

as of now you STILL have a lot of hair you should appreciate that and try not to stress or get down. i know hairloss sucks.....

your best option, as others have said, is to get on meds and see what happens. give them time to work. HTs are not a very good idea IMO on guys with so much native hair... right now your not bald, not even close. the meds have a VERY good chance of helping you keep what you have for a while, at the very least they will drastically slow your mild thinning.... in the mean time try to forget about your hair, it looks good. and hopefully by the time your hair REALLY starts hurtin(if it ever even gets to that point) better, safer, and more reliable options will be in existance for your hairloss.

*** RESULTS WILL 100%, without a DOUBT, VARY***

BTW-- look at your bottom set of pictures(the ones taken WITHOUT flash) your part is MUCH MUCH closer together..... Flash makes harlines look thicker and crowns look thinner... its just fact. also keep in mind about the meds, MANY do not have noticable sides. i do not and its help me keep my crown for the past 3 years.. they are MOST effective on the midscalp and crown area, this is the area your worried about right? you wont know if you dont try, its a blessing for many.... all the best man

*** RESULTS WILL 100%, without a DOUBT, VARY***

• 3 weeks later...

I would start with your nutrient and Propecia plus Rogaine. If you want a small HT, I wouldnt recommend doing one under 1,000 grafts.

SMOOTHY

Dr. Shapiro

Rogaine xra-Propecia

MSM/Zinc/Saw Pallmetto

Enlyten anti-oxidant daily