HT scar and the Military...

Hey all,

Longtime lurker. First time posting.

I'm in my late 30's. Diffuse thinner. I've had 2 HT's in the past (900 grafts and 3000 grafts). Now of course I have a scar from ear to ear. The scar stretched a little, and is noticeable if I go below a #4 clip.

Anyway, for all my friends here, have any of you enlisted in the military AFTER getting a FUT hair transplant? OR.. have you seen someone in boot camp with that scar?

1. Shaving head. Clearly the whole squad including peers and superiors will see the scar. Anyone had to go through this or was with someone who went through this? I am mainly concerned with boot camp/basic training (after that I can grow it out a bit).

2. Medications. I use Proscar/Rogaine daily. When I stop either of those, my hair starts to shed again. Will I be able to use these in boot camp? How about after? What do you guys propose?

Thanks in advance! The branch I am looking at is the Air Force. Basic training is about 9 weeks long. If anyone can shed some light on this it would be greatly appreciated.

I know Dr. Gabel (he did my procedures too) has a patient that's active duty Navy I believe.

He posts here regularly and has had three procedures, just like me.

He might chime in soon. I'll see if I can find him on here and let him know about you.

Hair loss patient and transplant veteran. Once a Norwood 3A.

Received 2,700 grafts with coalition doctor on 8/13/2010

Received 2,380 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 9/30/2011

Received 1,820 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 7/28/2016

UPDATE: His name is OtherSyde, and here's a link to one of his threads about his procedures.

I encourage you to reach out him in a private message or on his thread and encourage him to discuss with you here on this thread for the benefit of any other vets that are wondering the same things you are.

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/187757-1303-fut-hairline-dr-gabel-9-months.html

UPDATE: His name is OtherSyde, and here's a link to one of his threads about his procedures.

I encourage you to reach out him in a private message or on his thread and encourage him to discuss with you here on this thread for the benefit of any other vets that are wondering the same things you are.

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/187757-1303-fut-hairline-dr-gabel-9-months.html

Awesome. I will def reach out to him. Thank you!

In the meantime, any other feedback is appreciated.

Hey thanks for the shout-out Speegs, I definitely have some experience with HT's in the military in terms of both paperwork and dealing socially.

1. Yeah, you'll probably just have to deal with having a scar in boot camp. Just have a thick skin about it. Even though you can grow you hair out longer after boot camp, the military barbers are a crap-shoot and they've misunderstood my directions (even after I pull up my hair and show them the scar) and shaved my donor area way too low on numerous occasions, resulting in the usual inquires about whether I've been in some sort of car wreck, had brain surgery, etc. and the varying lengths of explanations I give them depending on what kind of interest they show in it - I usually don't bother with people who wouldn't care or ever need to understand (i.e. - women or the lucky guys with natural good hair). In boot camp though, you will never see 90% or more of those people ever again, so it doesn't really matter.

2. You'll probably have to drop the Rogaine for the 8-9 weeks of boot camp, but if you have an active prescription for Proscar/Finasteride then bring it (and several copies) to MEPS/boot camp to go into your medical record, and they should let you keep your doctor-prescribed meds. I saw some guys with prescription allergy meds, etc. in boot camp, and the Air Force is notoriously lenient among the various Armed Forces with this kind of thing.

I'm here to try and provide insight to any more questions you have, so ask away :)

Hey thanks for the shout-out Speegs, I definitely have some experience with HT's in the military in terms of both paperwork and dealing socially.

1. Yeah, you'll probably just have to deal with having a scar in boot camp. Just have a thick skin about it. Even though you can grow you hair out longer after boot camp, the military barbers are a crap-shoot and they've misunderstood my directions (even after I pull up my hair and show them the scar) and shaved my donor area way too low on numerous occasions, resulting in the usual inquires about whether I've been in some sort of car wreck, had brain surgery, etc. and the varying lengths of explanations I give them depending on what kind of interest they show in it - I usually don't bother with people who wouldn't care or ever need to understand (i.e. - women or the lucky guys with natural good hair). In boot camp though, you will never see 90% or more of those people ever again, so it doesn't really matter.

2. You'll probably have to drop the Rogaine for the 8-9 weeks of boot camp, but if you have an active prescription for Proscar/Finasteride then bring it (and several copies) to MEPS/boot camp to go into your medical record, and they should let you keep your doctor-prescribed meds. I saw some guys with prescription allergy meds, etc. in boot camp, and the Air Force is notoriously lenient among the various Armed Forces with this kind of thing.

I'm here to try and provide insight to any more questions you have, so ask away :)

Thanks man. That was some great insight.

1. I guess I'm just freaked out about shaving my head. I've never come close to doing that since my HT, and the idea of exposing that giant, stretched scar freaks me out. I just envision the other guys relentlessly mocking me or something like that.

2. I told my recruiter about the scar and my meds. He seemed a little unsure if I would be able to continue to take them during boot camp. You think this is something I can have them commit to before I sign up? I'm also slightly concerned about stopping Rogaine, as I respond very well to that.

3. Lastly, while I have your attention, can you give me insight into what life might be like for an older guy just starting out? I'm in my late 30's. Almost at the limit of what the AF takes. Did you encounter any older dudes while you were in basic, and how do the younger guys respond to that?

Thanks.

Yeah I wouldn't worry about it, honestly most of the young guys won't notice you as much; the older guys tend to have more of an experienced, no-nonsense, long-view type of attitude whereas the young fresh-out-of-high-school 18/19-year-olds are too energetic, distractible, and busy cavorting with each other (like they've been doing in high school or college for the last 4-6 years) to notice the older guys who tend not to be so involved in the social circles. If you just act sort of down-to-business and borderline curmudgeonly they might not ask at all, and if they do ask what the scar is from, just grumpily say something along the lines of "a surgery from a long time ago, don't really want to talk about it" and they'll generally drop it. It's worked for me many times. There are just too many other things going on to worry about, and there will always be a few bone-head screw-ups in the division (the "failure-to-launch" kid whose parents basically pushed them into the military just to get them out of their house), and they will do you the favor of attracting all the negative attention for the most part. You, being older and having common sense and an understanding of what is going on around you, will easily far-outpace the retards and dunces.

If you can multitask and keep a pretty good grasp on what's going on during the training (which should not be difficult to guys in our age-group - this is some seriously basic training designed for high school-level kids who barely know how to wipe their own asses without their parents' help, let alone lead other people or take responsibility for bigger things in the greater scope of a career), you'll be made some kind of squad-leader by default. Or if you're a quiet non-manager type, it's easy to exist as a shadow among your louder peers (the Navy pushes divisions of 80 recruits through boot camp at a time - not sure what size groups the AF pushes through at a time, but if it's anywhere near that size you should easily be able to lay low while staying out of trouble).

And yeah, the Air Force, also affectionately known among the other branches as the Chair Force Corporation, is renowned for its tendency towards allowing the smaller/nicer things in life - getting a legitimate prescription through if you have the paperwork should not be a problem. If they ask, it's "Allergy Meds" or - even better and more truthfully - to prevent the inherent risk of impending prostate cancer/issues/etc. (something necessary; it's none of their business what it's for as long as it's a legitimate prescription and not a prescription for an ailment that would disqualify you for service (which it's obviously not). Definitely get it in writing before you go in though, as recruiters aren't held to ANY kind of verbal agreements once you sign that contract.

I can't speak for the Airforce, but the Army guys don't care. I found out that I had CVG (prune head) in basic, which was the first time that I shaved my head, and no one said anything, You'll be around females tho and you might get asked about it. I am surprised you can even join in your late 30s though. You'll be the old man for sure and that may get you some attention, and like Othersyde said, you'll likely be in a leadership position at least part of the time

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

I am an AF Vet - 'Chair Force' - ha ha - I guess humping through the jungle to build sandbag bunkers to position an M-60 for incoming Viet Cong Sapper Teams qualifies me for a big ole Steak Sandwich and a Fluffy Pillow. That was a loooong time ago. I was a Combat Security Policeman.

But I digress....You'll be put in a 'Flight' of Basic Airmen - about 60-80 or so - at Lackland and the kids will be scared and lonely and confused and yes they will comment about your age - be a leader and you'll do fine. They may just promote you to an E-2 so that you get that instant respect - given your age.

Don't expect the Barber to be terribly gentle with his clippers - shearing 100's of heads a day makes him a pro, just not a gentle pro. If anyone comments about your scar, just tell them it was a surgery a long time ago. They'll drop it. They have a lot more things to worry about.

Have you been guaranteed your field of work yet? Getting those 1st orders out of Basic is what you're working for.

I'm serious.  Just look at my face.

My Hair Regimen: Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

Have you considered fue? No obvious linear scar. I have my sides and back at a 1 and no one has noticed.

He has had two (2) HTS and already has a scar.

I am an AF Vet - 'Chair Force' - ha ha - I guess humping through the jungle to build sandbag bunkers to position an M-60 for incoming Viet Cong Sapper Teams qualifies me for a big ole Steak Sandwich and a Fluffy Pillow. That was a loooong time ago. I was a Combat Security Policeman.

But I digress....You'll be put in a 'Flight' of Basic Airmen - about 60-80 or so - at Lackland and the kids will be scared and lonely and confused and yes they will comment about your age - be a leader and you'll do fine. They may just promote you to an E-2 so that you get that instant respect - given your age.

Don't expect the Barber to be terribly gentle with his clippers - shearing 100's of heads a day makes him a pro, just not a gentle pro. If anyone comments about your scar, just tell them it was a surgery a long time ago. They'll drop it. They have a lot more things to worry about.

Have you been guaranteed your field of work yet? Getting those 1st orders out of Basic is what you're working for.

Thanks for the feedback.

My recruiter told me he can't guarantee me a job. I would have to list 10 different job choices in the order I would like them and they will pick one of them. Not sure if that sounds right or not. Would feel a lot better if he could guarantee me something, or at least narrow it down a little better.

Thanks for the feedback.

My recruiter told me he can't guarantee me a job.Would feel a lot better if he could guarantee me something, or at least narrow it down a little better.

They can guarantee a FIELD of work - Administration, Maintenance, Electronics and the dreaded General.

They told me I was qualified for General - and I though 'wow', I would enter as a lowly enlisted airman and apparently would soon be a General! I could envision the stars pinned on my collar!! Man, wuz I wrong!

By the time they got to me upon Graduation from Basic, it was Cook, Clerk, or Policeman. Police school was a mile across the base. Whoopee! 10 more weeks at Lackland!

They can guarantee a FIELD of work - Administration, Maintenance, Electronics and the dreaded General.

They told me I was qualified for General - and I though 'wow', I would enter as a lowly enlisted airman and apparently would soon be a General! I could envision the stars pinned on my collar!! Man, wuz I wrong!

By the time they got to me upon Graduation from Basic, it was Cook, Clerk, or Policeman. Police school was a mile across the base. Whoopee! 10 more weeks at Lackland!

Good to know I can at least narrow down a field. I want Broadcasting/Journalism, as that is where my professional background lies. He said that's very competitive and hard to get. SO I may need to re evaluate.

I didn't think the military recruited people as old as you? I thought the airforce cut off is 27ish. And 35 for the Army.

Yep. AF goes up to 39 now for enlisted. Cut off for Officer is 35, which I missed.

Have you considered fue? No obvious linear scar. I have my sides and back at a 1 and no one has noticed.

The problem here is that he, like many of us, already has a linear scar. Still, FUE would be a great way to fill in a scar from what I've read/heard. It's what I plan on doing soon.

Haha yeah no hate or anything, the Chair Force thing is just sort of a running joke; the truth is every service has its tough areas and ugly jobs, not saying the Air Force is any different. During A-School to become an IT in the Navy back in 2009 I actually knew a woman who had transferred into the Navy because the AF was too grueling for her - being stuck at a promotion-ceiling as an E3 due to overcrowding in her extremely crappy, grimy job of apparently changing out and lugging around 100lb+ airplane tires all day, and changing oil all day in the intense heat out on an airfield. I think it's mostly just where you end up as far as your job and location/duty station.

I want Broadcasting/Journalism, as that is where my professional background lies. He said that's very competitive and hard to get.

Broadcasting/Journalism falls under the GENERAL field. Very competitive. If there are no openings you will be moved to a needed specialty in the General field.

I didn't think the military recruited people as old as you? I thought the airforce cut off is 27ish. And 35 for the Army.
As of 2009 the Army permitted enlisted recruits up to the age of 42, naturally their PT standards were lower.

And OCS (officer) candidates had to be no older than 29 at the time of their commissioning as a Butter Bar.

I wonder how many posters here know what a Butter Bar is.
Well, just in case, a butter bar is a military slang for a 2nd Lieutenant, called such for the fact their single gold bar insignia resembles a bar of butter;)

NewRanks_03.jpg