Dr. Suggested I Get FUT 1st, Wait a Year then Get FUE

Talked to a hair surgeon some time ago. He suggested I get fut first from a good strip dr. for my diffuse hair. He doesnt do strip so he suggested I see a fut dr. Then he said I wait a year and come see him for fue to add finishing touches to add volume. Is this a good course of action?

This is definitely a great plan for many prospective hair transplant patients. Given that this surgeon doesn't perform strip surgery, I'd say that he is being very honest in his assessment.

Many hair transplant surgeons recommend "stripping out" or using up all your available grafts in multiple strip procedures and then having FUE to take advantage of remaining available donor grafts. By doing this, you can potentially maximize your lifetime donor supply.

For those patients that are not concerned with the potential to wear very closely cropped hair, this is a good way to go.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

And really for anyone who is in need of a lot of work both now and in the future.

Best to also get some sound advice regarding a medicinal regimen as well because anything that can be done to stabilize the progression of loss is critical.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

This is definitely a great plan for many prospective hair transplant patients. Given that this surgeon doesn't perform strip surgery, I'd say that he is being very honest in his assessment.

Many hair transplant surgeons recommend "stripping out" or using up all your available grafts in multiple strip procedures and then having FUE to take advantage of remaining available donor grafts. By doing this, you can potentially maximize your lifetime donor supply.

You saying that by going this route you future proof future availability of the donor area?

My premonition is that what David implied was that it was a good way to take advantage of as many harvestable grafts as possible.

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

I have also been given this advise from some doctors but some prefer fue only in my case.

Recently Dr. Bisanga,

Doing only FUE will not give you enough coverage, as your donor density is on the lower side.

Dr. Bisanga proposes to do a combo procedure by using the FUT and the FUE technique at the same time to

harvest as much grafts as possible over 1 intervention.

He will be able to get around 3000-3500 grafts with the FUT technique and 1500-1800 grafts with the FUE technique.

This will give coverage to the frontal area, the mid scalp and the frontal crown area.

I have also been given this advise from some doctors but some prefer fue only in my case.

Recently Dr. Bisanga,

Doing only FUE will not give you enough coverage, as your donor density is on the lower side.

Dr. Bisanga proposes to do a combo procedure by using the FUT and the FUE technique at the same time to

harvest as much grafts as possible over 1 intervention.

My case the dr. said I should get FUT first, wait a year then get FUE. Never heard of getting FUT and FuE same time. Guess it can be done.

I agree with the strategy, I would even go one step further depending on your donor area… You could even get more than one FUT/strip procedure so that you max out the donor area via strip and then go FUE once you no longer have any more donor via strip.

Personally, if that's the route I would go if I was looking to maximize the amount of available donor hair over a long period of time.

Best wishes,

Bill

I agree with the strategy, I would even go one step further depending on your donor area… You could even get more than one FUT/strip procedure so that you max out the donor area via strip and then go FUE once you no longer have any more donor via strip.

Personally, if that's the route I would go if I was looking to maximize the amount of available donor hair over a long period of time.

Never thought of getting 2 FUTs with a year spaced in between. Then getting FUE after. Sounds like a heavy duty strategy. Looking into it.

Can someone please dm me on how to start a new thread. I just had fue surgery yesterday and want to share my experience

If you go back to the "Questions and Answers" page, you will see an icon on top of the section where all the threads are listed that is the "New Topic" icon that you can click on.

Gillenator