My life and the next steps

Hi everyone,

Thanks for taking the time to read what I have to say; it's been a long journey. I've been lurking this form for a while in the past but this past week for some reason I've gone into the depths of posts and I found out some really good information that I hadn't known in the past and it really inspired me to tell my story and seek out advice on my next steps (or at least what I think I should do).

An old teammate of mine pointed out my receding hairline at 17(!). Life pretty much hasn't been the same since. Although it was small recession when I was 17, from what I can remember I did notice it and I was extremely self-conscious about it in high school. It wasn't until about 20 that it really started to bug me to which I went to visit Dr. Robert Jones for a consultation. Not that I was thinking about a hair transplant at the time (I didn't even know that it was a thing, really), I was obviously very young and he prescribed me proscar to which I still use today (split into 4 little pieces). University went by and my confidence just never recovered. Every time I looked in the mirror all I could say to my self was "f*ck....". It really wasn't that bad, I'll admit that. But it was noticeable and I hated people pointing it out to me because I obviously knew about it and I just wanted to think no one cared.

Ages 20-22 were so-so, I ended up using Dr. Jones' version of minoxidil (extra strength 12%) which after reading everything this past week about him, I can't even say for certain that it was extra strength and he was charging $100+ per bottle which would only last a month at a time. I never realized it wasn't going to work on my hairline until maybe 22 or 23 and I started noticing maybe a small bald spot developing (or so I thought) so every few nights I would just dab a few more on there. I was also using Nioxin at the time so maybe that is what delayed hair loss a little bit for those few years.

At 23, I discovered Toppik and I can say that has really turned around my life for the better. I know it's a temporary solution but it makes me feel so much better about myself when I go out in public and talk to people and I can show that I'm not some 23 year old with a receding hairline that looks like he's 33. I'm still hesitant about going out in direct sunlight with it because it doesn't work as well at the hairline as about 65% of the hairs there have fallen out but somehow I make it work with proper styling and whatnot.

Anyway, I decided to get off minoxidil to save all that money and the nioxin too because I didn't think it worked and have just stuck to toppik since then, while still using my fin. However since what feels like the calendar year turned to 2017, it's like it's just accelerating at a pace that I haven't experienced before. I have no real genetic hair loss in my family. I think my grandpa (mom's dad) started getting it in his 70s but that's about it and my dad has a thick head of hair. My brother was good up until this year when even he started noticing it on himself but its just the temples and not even close to how bad mine is. Maybe my biological age is just older than my real age (haha) but I think I've tried it all to fix what apparently I can't really fix by myself.

For the past two or so years, I've always have just been committed to the idea of getting a hair transplant when I was 25. I feel like that is early, I do realize that it probably is early, but I also do think my hair loss pattern can be figured out by a professional as to which he can think of a plan of attack. I decided to go back on minoxidil and biotin to at least see what that can do for me in the mean time as I really do think that played a role but I know that won't help in the long run.

I have saved up enough money for an HT and I really think its my next step but I want to hear everyone's thoughts on it or maybe their own story of how they decided. Outside of my mom, who I made sure she swore to secrecy, no one knows about the stuff I do to my hair and trying to minimize appearance of hair loss. I really would like to keep it that way and I've looked at timelines of weeks and months of other procedures and I think I have a plan to manage it. I work in the accounting industry and it is obviously very busy from January to June but we get overtime off so I can potentially book of 6-8 weeks in July or August to do it and relax and hopefully by the end of my vacation, it can be reasonable that no one would know (might have to use light toppik in the mean time but thats okay).

I was originally planning to go to Dr. Robert Jones because he's in my backyard but after seeing all of those complaints, I really thank this website for maybe saving me because that would have been a horrible mistake and a terrible deciding factor because he so close to where I live. I do live by the motto "buy nice or buy twice" so I don't wan't to penny pinch on a good doctor because it is a long-term procedure.

So far from what I have researched, Dr. Rahal (in Ottawa), Dr. Cooley, and Dr. Alexander are all doctors who I've heard tremendous things about and I'm sure there are plenty more that I just haven't come across yet. They likely have different styles and I guess I'm trying to figure out which doctor would be best for my goals. Im a NW 3 with a bit of a bald spot developing but it isn't really too noticeable yet. I really want my hairline restored and it's been a wish of mine from the beginning. I could probably live with a bald spot or a faded one as I get older but for now, I cannot stand the receding look and I think it looks terrible on me. Obviously Rahal would be cheaper for me since he would be in Canadian dollars versus in USD but I really don't want to spare any last cent if I don't need to and money will not be the deciding factor.

It's late but I just wanted to get this off my chest. I guess I'll post some pictures up tomorrow when I get a chance to help any of you visualize my look. I really do have lots of questions but I don't want to just rapid fire them out in a thread so I'll probably ask them as I go along.

I really do want to thank everybody that has posted on here to share their experiences as it has given be inspiration to seek out something that I haven't had in a long, long time. I'm young and I really want to enjoy these years but my self-confidence or lack thereof has really affected my ability to do things that I like but I also want to regain a look that is more appropriate with my age.

• Administrators

24 is very young, it's hard to give advice without knowing the extent of your hair loss, you may think you're a Norwood III but have diffuse loss, which would make getting a transplant riskier. If you plan on getting FUT concealing it will be rather difficult unless you can wear a hat, you will get opposing and conflicting information on which procedures better, it's really up to you, do not rush in to anything, I think you're probably experiencing a shed from getting off the minoxidil.

I would recommend getting back on it unless you're experiencing side effects, both fin and min work synergistically and two is better than one, you don't have to buy the $100 bottle that is an absolute robbery, shame on that doctor for taking advantage of you like that, you can buy a 6 month supply from Costco for the same price.

You may also want to look in to alternative treatments like PRP while you're carefully researching. Do not get caught up by lists, many forum members simply regurgitate the same list of names, most of which haven't really provided results recently, take a look in the surgeon review section and look up reviews from actual patients, non cherry picked reviews. Good luck and and remember DONT RUSH!

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Can you upload a few pics? I do think it will help for a few reasons:

1. Better advice from forum members

2. Mental and emotional relief - getting pics of your hair out to all of us may help you to feel "less alone" in all of this

3185 FUT with Dr. Rahal on 2/17/16

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/182611-fut-3185-dr-rahal-day-after-pics.html

1204 FUT with Dr. Rahal on 3/27/17

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/186586-round-2-rahal-1204-fut-frontal-third-same-area.html

---> total of 4389 grafts to my frontal third via FUT

---> 1mg finasteride daily since 1999:)

Thanks for your responses. I'll be 25 by the time of an HT but I know that doesn't change much. I ordered the Costco Kirkland minoxidil so that should be arriving somewhat soon and hopefully that will help again. Ofcourse still doing my research and due diligence on doctors and the procedure in general.

And yes I will get some pictures up ASAP by the afternoon.

I would definitely consult with Cooley, Rahal and maybe Hasson + Wong.

As long as you're prepared for future procedures as you lose more hair it seems like a good plan, particularly when you're obviously in a decent job, you have the time to do so and you have the financially ability to do it without worries. FUT is likely your best option considering you have not stabilised on the proscar. You can also add nizoral 2% a few times a week for a mild anti-androgen shampoo to maybe slow things down a tad.

Some photos like Ernie said would definitely help analyse the situation.

I've added some pictures for everyone to see. I just came out of the shower so it probably looks slightly thinner but regardless, it's thin. I guess it's gotten worse since I last took pictures of myself. Never thought that bald spot would spread as fast as I anticipated and I knew the front was gone a while ago. It also pains me to see my full scalp in the mirror under direct light in the bathroom but maybe it's the combination of light and wet hair :(

I also have read alot of the arguments for both FUE and FUT. I think I'm pretty open to the both. I dont think I'm bothered by the scar that much but if I were to have one, I'd love for it to be minimized. I also enjoy shorter hair, but not like 1 or 2 buzz cut short but probably a 5 or 6 on the back and around the sides and a little bit longer on top. I think for my situation, I believe FUT is best so I can maximize the amount transferred.

How do the consultations work? Can I call them? Send them pictures? Skype? How far in advance are these docs booked for consultations and the actual procedures?

IMG_2392.thumb.JPG.7b74aadcc21d197b6224985a7edf66a6.JPG

IMG_2390.thumb.JPG.ad6034e53d0b80aec312bd5ac78ee035.JPG

IMG_2379.thumb.JPG.912963b5f8c989a5858fe31755e355da.JPG

IMG_2389.thumb.JPG.c8b5ab8e2c845fdb318d498a33789dca.JPG

Welcome to the forums, thanks for sharing your story, you mentioned some good docs,also look into hasson n wong, dr.knior, and shapiro medical group, research all of the clinics you like, then have a consult with yourtop three, and take it from there, never rush into surgery, take time to research ,ask as many questions you can think of, better yet write them down.once you feel you found the clinic for you ,take a trip to see them and consult with the doc in person, this way you get a vibe for the doc and clinic ,have your game plan for hair restoration with doc, then schedule when you are ready ,good luck on your journey to more hair.

• Administrators

Ok so as suspected you are far worse than a norwood III you're currently a Norwood V, and will likely be a Norwood VI by 30, I don't say this to be mean or disrespectful I'm only telling you the truth. So with that said if you don't mind the strip scar, definitely go strip first, I would recommend consulting with Hasson and Wong, I would advise you NOT to lower your hairline to much, there is simply no way to guarantee that your sides will stay high as you age, and if your sides stop believe me you're going to need reserve grafts to fill the gaps.

There will be guys who disagree and say get a Norwood I hairline cause you're in your 20's and it's the prime of your life, listen I'm 32 I have a conservative hairline and my life career wise, love life wise and overall is better than it ever was in my 20's. Life exists after your 20's and it's hard to imagine something that seems so far away I get that. With that said, I'm not saying get a hairline in the middle of your head, the hairline should begin from a third of where your eyebrows are at, however the temples in my opinion should not be closed in or straight, those are valuable grafts you're going to need, and when you get older it'll be more important to have a natural head of hair with no gaps than it is having a straight hairline.

It's entirely up to you, I'm only giving you my opinion as a guy who also went bald young, I've been there done that, and how you approach and how you utilize your finite number of grafts will determine your future, life exits past 20's, 30's, 40's, the last thing you want is people saying, "bill you know the 60 year old guy with the island of hair and no forehead" no body will be saying "bill you know the 60 year old guy with the mature hairline" think about it that's all I'm saying, not here to argue with others either that's just my opinion, again good luck.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

If you are happy with FUT and don't mind the scar, FUT is likely ideal.

Most consults are just basic email exchanges done through sending photos on doctor websites, with an assessment from the doctor afterwards. Waiting time for a procedure for top clinics is typically around the 4 month mark, with some stretching to 12 months.

If I were you I'd book Konior knowing he has a 12 month waiting list and you're not not looking to get the procedure immediately. His work is the best in the US in my opinion, but Cooley is also very good.

Best to take the surgeons advice on what approach will work best for you regarding donor management and a hairline, considering you'll likely be a full norwood 5 soon.

I take no disrespect at all to anyone's comments. I am here to learn about everything that I need to know in order to make a sound decision. I guess I'm a little biased with my norwood grade as I always thought I was a 3 or 3v and maybe 4 but never thought it was as bad as a 5. I probably don't doubt it now though. What are the implications of a 5/6 with a HT? How well can someone age with it? I've tried to find pictures of someone 20-30 years after but I don't think I've seen any.

For myself, I don't think I can really go too aggressive. I know I'm not 20 and I don't want to look 20 because I do look naturally older anyway so I'm just looking to find a solution that I can age well into my 30s and 40s. I really do resonate with you've said and I'm sure you experienced it first hand. My hairline was never super low or youthful so I definitely don't need to go down that route but my expectations are reasonable and I believe it can be restored to a level that I'd be comfortable with down the road. I'm interested more into a mature hairline than super youthful.

I do still get cold feet thinking about it because I do realize 25 is super young and also there has got to be a point of no return where you just accept it and move on and shave. Obviously that point is different for everybody and mine would be if there was just nothing left in the next 4 or 5 years. I don't anticipate that and my genetics would agree but I obviously drew the short stick out of the hair pool so anything can happen at this point.

Hey HTsoon,

I looked through your photos and they're awesome! I'm guessing I'm a little bit further along than you were at my age probably but you pre-op and post-op pics are night and day. How did you attack your plan? What areas of your head were you targeting first and how did you know you were going to need multiple?

I'll start off by saying, I have not had a positive HT experience, so take my advice for what it's worth.

There is so much more to life than hair. Once you take the plunge, there is no going back. I started losing my hair at 19, it sucks. But I'm 34 now, and NO ONE cares. Half the people I know who are my age have some type of hair loss. And most of them have beautiful wives and great families.

Don't act like "I know I'll have to get more procedures." You have no clue what that's like. I would do anything to shave my head right now and move on with my life. Unfortunately, I don't have that option.

You have a lot of loss at a young age. Do you really want an HT that will leave your hair looking thin? Where you have to spend copious amounts of time styling it to look full? And then, when you're at the gym/beach/pool, you're constantly worried about it getting wet.

I honestly envy you. Get off these forums, hit the gym, and move on with your life.

Says the guy with more hair at 34 than the average 34 year old, and more than this 23 year old.

You sound unhinged. No clue what it's like? You went to Bosley mate, your situation was specific to your mistake of not doing your research.

"when you're at the gym/beach/pool, you're constantly worried about it getting wet."

How often is someone at the beach or at a pool? The aim of a transplant is a cosmetic improvement that will look natural in everyday circumstances. No one expects a perfect looking head of hair in the worlds harshest lighting or when wet.

I appreciate your two cents HTR. Why was your experience so negative and how has it impacted your life since?

Obviously there are counterarguments to every subjective decision that you can make. I understand cosmetic procedures like this generate scrutiny by others. Honestly, I do agree to an extent that your hair should not matter on how people judge you, etc. and you know what, if I was 35 or 40 with my hairline, I'd probably say f*uck it and shave it. But that isn't the world we live in and self-confidence is important to many people regardless of how it's attained.

I really would like to do one but obviously I'm still in my due diligence phase and I've done a fraction of research required needed to make a decision. It's so easy to say "yeah, I'm going to do it, it's going to fix everything" but I do realize that expectations do need to be managed and I want to be sure that my goals can be reached before I commit.

JeanLucBergman,

Just trying to give good advice from someone who has 13 years of experience with Hair Transplants, as well as additional life experience.

Personally, I don't think 24needsmore is a good candidate for an HT. He has extensive loss for his age, and I would not be happy with the "illusion" that a modern day HT can achieve for him.

Conversely, I think you have great characteristics Jean, and I think you're going to have a great result. I wish you luck.

That's one of the inherent problems with this surgery. Choosing a great Dr. is one thing, being a suitable candidate is another.

JeanLucBergman,

Just trying to give good advice from someone who has 13 years of experience with Hair Transplants, as well as additional life experience.

Personally, I don't think 24needsmore is a good candidate for an HT. He has extensive loss for his age, and I would not be happy with the "illusion" that a modern day HT can achieve for him.

Conversely, I think you have great characteristics Jean, and I think you're going to have a great result. I wish you luck.

That's one of the inherent problems with this surgery. Choosing a great Dr. is one thing, being a suitable candidate is another.

Cheers, and I do agree the different perspectives are good. The more research and correspondence with doctors and their analysis of his donor it leads to the better.

Thanks for both of your opinions. I obviously don't want to write anything off yet and I do realize my age has everything going against me.

What do you recommend for a timeline between research and then consultations before I have enough information to decide?

6 months to lull it over, consider the risks, the potential that you might need more procedures down the track, the financial burden over the longer term and consult with a few doctors. Also worthwhile doing a few live consultations if you can with doctors in your city to see if they think you're a good candidate, measure your donor capacity and check for miniaturisation.

Good to look globally on the recommended doctors here to see what your options are abroad too. Bisanga and Feriduni in Belgium rival any of the FUT doctors in the US or Canada.

• Administrators
Hey HTsoon,

I looked through your photos and they're awesome! I'm guessing I'm a little bit further along than you were at my age probably but you pre-op and post-op pics are night and day. How did you attack your plan? What areas of your head were you targeting first and how did you know you were going to need multiple?

Thanks, at 24 my hair didn't "appear" worse than yours but that's only because I had diffuse loss, at your age I thought I was only receding from my hairline, which I knew a few years later was not the case, my plan off attack wasn't necessarily ideal, my initial doctor an IAHRS doctor was VERY conservative in fact to conservative, he basically did the midscalp and did not do the hairline, after 12 months I noticed an improvement but I was not satisfied as the hairline didn't look right.

So I began researching doctors and found a doctor that had an extensive portfolio of videos in the procedure that I wanted (FUE), after meeting with the doctor and telling him my plan, we decided to leave my hairline receded and only rebuild it, by that time my hairline was literally just wisps of tiny hairs, my last procedure was to reinforce the midscalp and also do the top portion of my crown, the goal was to be able to slick my hair back and cover the crown, this wasn't possible previously because I didn't have hair on the crown to slick back, I have been conservative in all of my procedures.

Its easy to get caught up in numbers, what I mean by this is, let's say you go to a surgeon who says don't worry you have elastic skin, we can easily move 5K plus grafts, then do another strip, and then FUE, we calculate you have 8K grafts available. So when you hear this, you see a case like mine, you may think this guy only got 5k grafts and almost has a full head of hair, the problem is not everyone is the same, there are so many variables when it comes to hair transplants, head size, follicle diameter i.e hair thickness, and ultimately future hair loss. It's easy to be swayed, remember this is your head here, your future, don't consult with one doctor, two doctors, consult with as many as possible, I've seen about 4 doctors in person that many here consider elite and sent at least a dozen consults online.

A face to face consultation is essential, remember to be objective, if you go to one surgeon who specializes in FUE they may say, FUT is an outdated barbaric procedure stick with FUE, if you go to a surgeon who's not skilled in FUE, they may say, FUE damages grafts and your yield will be poor and your donor will be ruined. The truth is always somewhere in the middle, really think about what your goal is, if your goal is to get the maximum amount of hair and you don't care about scarring, then FUT would probably be the best fit, if you plan on wearing your hair short then FUE may be something to look in to, opinions differ from doctor to doctor person to person, it all comes down to what fits you and your lifestyle. Downtime is different for each procedure as well, so if you live an active lifestyle like me that is also something to consider.

Below are two pics of me at 24 years old. Had I gotten a transplant at that age I fear what could have become of me today, but I wasn't clear on my future at that point, I think its quite clear for you so that's a good thing. You sound reasonable and seem to have a good head on your shoulders, most guys at 24 are not thinking like you so kudos.

photo.jpg

fullsizeoutput_280.jpeg

View my thread

If you are 24 and say if you had the same hair at 35 you would say F it and shave it off then I personally would just save your $ and shave it now. It will be a life long battle for you and honestly you have lost a lot of hair for being 24. If you do decide to do something, do your research with finding a top doctor and stay very conservative with the hairline location. Just remember, once you have surgery there is no going back.

Thanks I really do appreciate all the input. I've never really talked about it with anybody since I don't feel comfortable in raising it up in a conversation. I also don't think anybody around my age who i regularly talk to is experiencing it as quick as I am. My age is my biggest fear and the fact that I'm a 4/5 scares me a little bit now but I'm still going to do my fair share of research.

I'm from Toronto and it's not exactly easy to from city to city to see these recommended doctors in North America. Should I just be doing online consults to see what each has to say? I know Cam Simmons is in Toronto so I could easily do a live consultation there and Rahal is in Ottawa which is only 5 hours and could be made into a road trip.

You guys are truly so helpful and I'm so, so thankful that you take time out of your day to respond!

If you are willing to stay conservative and take finasteride for life then I feel you could have surgery and improve things but you will most likely need another surgery or 2 in the future. A lot just depends on how bad it bothers you. I started losing my hair early and I know how bad it sucks becase no one your age is experiencing it. 10 years from now, when you are 34 will not be the case.

That in itself is untrue. I started losing at 18, my father started losing at about 30 and he said it was incredibly hard even at that age. Everyone I have talked to and have seen on forums will admit that being bald at 35 or even balding is very depressing and undesirable. It's not some most people just "get over". They live with it, but they would still rather have hair and still often dwell on it. How many here are getting transplants in their 30s? THE MAJORITY.

If your donor is reasonable, the best option is a transplant. If you have the finances available for future surgeries, the willingness to endure that and research for a good doctor, you will be much better off in the long run. Particularly if you go FUT you are unlikely to have donor issues down the line. Most people who go to top-end doctors who are skilled in donor management run out of a will for more surgery before they run out of donor.

Women being unattractive to bald men (particularly women in their 20s) isn't something that just "disappears" or you "grow out of". Bald jokes and bald shaming isn't going to go away just by waiting. If you have a problem and have the opportunity to do something about it properly and with caution, you should.

It really does bother me alot but JeanLuc does make a good point. At any age, I'm assuming when men start losing their hair, it's a shock to them and they'll like try to do anything to fix it and very few will likely get over it if they are on the younger side.

I do take fin everyday and have for about 3 years or so. I've always been curious on how consistent you have to be. Like usually I wake up at 8am and just take it when I wake up but on weekends, I get up at around 9:30 or 10 or I'd stay at a friend's house and didn't bring it with me or skipped a day (rare) and have always wondered what kind of affect that's had.

I did minox for maybe a good 2 years but I was buying really expensive stuff and I couldn't justify the price compared to the results because my only issue at the time was at the front and obviously it doesn't really work in that area. I just bought the Costco minox so I'll be getting back on it and monitoring how it goes over the next couple of months.

I guess if I've taken anything away from everybody's posts is just wait and see while still doing research and taking feedback from docs. Maybe 25 is too early. I'm also don't want one that makes me look like I'm 20/21. I look old enough already and I just want it to fit my look so a perfect hairline is obviously not in the cards but a mature one? That is more along the lines of what would be attainable.

I didn't mean that when you are 34 that hairloss would not bother you. I meant that when you are 34, you won't be the only one in your circle of friends that is experiencing hairloss. I have been through it at age 20 so I know first hand how devastating it is at that age. Hairloss sucks at any age but when you are in your low 20s it's a whole new level of shittyness in my opinion.