Laser Hair Removal after hair transplant

Hi all,

I've recently had a facial hair transplant and am quite disappointed with how it looks. It looks very unnatural because I don't have much hair on my face, except for a thick mustache, goatee, and soul patch now.

I understand it is in the initial healing stages (which, by the way, after two weeks is still very red. Is this normal?) but I really dislike the look. It looks very unnatural and poorly done. Moreover, I can't go out because my face is extremely red. I've tried topical corticosteroids, which haven't done much in the last few days.

I was wondering if laser hair removal could be done at a later date to remove all of the transplanted hairs. Would it leave any scarring? As far as I know, transplanted hairs are no different than normal hair, so laser hair removal should work, yes? I have dark hair, light skin.

Thanks everyone.

You have to wait for the redness to disappear and the skin to fully heal before you take any further action. It's a waiting game at this point. Once the redness disappears you can examine your options. Laser can help but it depends on the hair type as it doesn't work the same for all hair textures and colors. Electrolysis can work well but great care must be taken to not cause permanent scarring. Once it is healed and you are having growth keeping is shaved may be the safer overall option because you will have less chance of scarring.

Edited by ArochaHair
spelling correction

Online representative for Dr. Bernard Arocha

Learn more about Hair Transplants in Texas!

How long will this redness last? The doctor said I would look normal a few days after procedure, and now I feel like I've been lied to. The redness clearly outlines where the procedure was done and I can't go outside. It's too obvious.

It is difficult to say but one major contributing factor is your skin tone.The more fair your skin the longer the redness will last. The most intense redness lasts for a week but the residual redness can last for months on fair skin and more olive and darker skin complexions will only have redness that lasts a few weeks.

Online representative for Dr. Bernard Arocha

Learn more about Hair Transplants in Texas!

How long ago was your procedure? Using topical steroid creams too early can be counter-productive and may actually cause the redness to linger for a longer period of time.

I highly recommend that you discuss this with your doctor.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

The topical steroid cream was recommended by my doctor for a short period of time. I've since stopped. Why does the steroid cream cause redness to linger? Has this caused more damage now?

The procedure was two weeks ago. My skin is fair and my hair is dark.

How long ago was your procedure? Using topical steroid creams too early can be counter-productive and may actually cause the redness to linger for a longer period of time.

I highly recommend that you discuss this with your doctor.

I'm also getting very upset and depressed thinking about possibly losing the 1200 grafts I just used up. I do not have a family history of hair loss, so should I be concerned?

Is it possible to put those hairs I just had transplanted back into the donor area, or does that risk scarring?

If I were to laser these hairs off, will I risk any thinning of my remaining hair or will I be ok? Right now, when I look at my donor, it looks fine, but I am afraid that if I cut it very short (no guard or a 1), it will look thinned. I believe there is no scarring in my donor area, and I've asked many people.

On a side note, can dormant hair follicles in the donor area grow later to fill in places where follicles were removed via FUE?

Overall, I'm devastated by what's been done. Yes, it was my choice to want to go ahead with this, but I feel as if the doctor was not completely honest with the post-op (e.g. told me I'd be fine after a few days...my skin is still red and I'm officially 15 days post-op while using aloe vera daily), and it does not have a natural shape to it.

Edited by chachabains222

• 2 years later...

Hang in there bro. You will be fine. Any update? Worse comes to worse you get them fued out and put back into where they were taken out of. You can do SMP to where they were fued out from if u prefer not to put them back. Laser also should do the trick. Hope you are well

2 weeks is not long enough to make a judgement about anything.  Hang loose and come back in 6 months at the earliest.

"Imagination frames events unknown in wild fantastic shapes of hideous ruin, and what it fears, creates." Hannah More

• 3 months later...
On 7/23/2017 at 9:52 AM, chachabains222 said:

Hi all,

I've recently had a facial hair transplant and am quite disappointed with how it looks. It looks very unnatural because I don't have much hair on my face, except for a thick mustache, goatee, and soul patch now.

I understand it is in the initial healing stages (which, by the way, after two weeks is still very red. Is this normal?) but I really dislike the look. It looks very unnatural and poorly done. Moreover, I can't go out because my face is extremely red. I've tried topical corticosteroids, which haven't done much in the last few days.

I was wondering if laser hair removal could be done at a later date to remove all of the transplanted hairs. Would it leave any scarring? As far as I know, transplanted hairs are no different than normal hair, so laser hair removal should work, yes? I have dark hair, light skin.

Thanks everyone.

Hello everyone. I am grateful to God that I do not have such problems, but my friend came across this and he is very ill. He is too young for allopecia because he is only 24 years old and does not want to be left without hair like Jason Statham. He had already tried all the medicines and was already with all the doctors, but no one was serious about allopecia. The only thing that he is advised is using vitamins, but this does not help him either. I decided to read about this disease and came across Botox Montreal. This is a very popular Canadian clinic for the treatment of hair loss. I immediately told this to a friend and as a result, he went there and literally after 4 months of procedures, his hair began to grow. He is so happy.

Edited by LF0rw4rd1