When would a graft be '100% secure'?

Honestly I'm just trying to retrace my steps to see where my HT went wrong and while we all know that they're safe from dislodging at around 10 days, what's the point where using a more stressful shampoo such as Nizoral, T gel or something antiseptic like hibiscrub, betadine, triclosam and whatever else there is couldn't harm grafts?

Just asking because while it was with doctors permision I feel as though hibiscrub shampoo may be a reason for the lack of growth, even though I used it at 20 days post op.

I also never really had any scabbing at all, which seems weird compared to a lot of people here

It doesn't sound like you did anything wrong. Do you have any photos you can share? Like pre-op and post-op (to show the lack of scabbing you describe) plus to see your current situation.

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

I don't think shampoo has that much of an impact, after my first HT I used an old ass bottle of Vive for Men Regenium XY, only because it was the only shampoo I had, and everything went fine.

Honestly I'm just trying to retrace my steps to see where my HT went wrong and while we all know that they're safe from dislodging at around 10 days, what's the point where using a more stressful shampoo such as Nizoral, T gel or something antiseptic like hibiscrub, betadine, triclosam and whatever else there is couldn't harm grafts?

Just asking because while it was with doctors permision I feel as though hibiscrub shampoo may be a reason for the lack of growth, even though I used it at 20 days post op.

I also never really had any scabbing at all, which seems weird compared to a lot of people here

This can be answered in a number of ways. One can talk about how long it takes for the graft to be physically adhered to the scalp. Also, one can talk about how long it takes before the graft can no longer be damaged by normal routine activities even if it is not dislodged.

The graft itself after 4-5 days is very secure. Typically only the first day or two do we see the graft actually getting bumped out. When this happens, there is also associated bleeding from the hole that remains. As an example of how quickly the graft takes, we had a patient from another clinic come in for a visit. The patient was not happy with how low the hair line was placed and asked us to remove a number of grafts at 5 days since his surgery. It was very difficult to remove the grafts and only with considerable force using forceps were we able to take them out.

After the grafts are placed and are secure, they still can be injured. We have the patient avoid sun for many months, because the skin is more prone to burning. A burnt scalp can diminish good growth of the grafts. Dyes or harsh chemicals should also be avoided the first couple months as these also can injure the scalp and potentially underlying follicles.

The way you washed your hair at that time should also not have affected the growth.

If you are concerned about the outcome of the surgery and growth you should see you hair tranplant surgeon for a complete evaluation.

Typically by day 6 you can all but guarantee security of the grafts, but playing it safe for up to 14 days is the comfort zone for most people.

Typically the grafts with scabs attached to them are the most vulnerable to be dislodged, for if you pick them (DON'T do that) or rub them in an effort to dislodge them there may be potential for losing a graft.

I lost one graft on day three or four post op while trying to dislodge scabs, the lone graft I've ever lost through self infliction, it was was noteworthy for the dripping blood the dislodging produced.

Rule of thumb is if there's no blood you're probably in the clear if you've bumped a graft.

Hair loss patient and transplant veteran. Once a Norwood 3A.

Received 2,700 grafts with coalition doctor on 8/13/2010

Received 2,380 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 9/30/2011

Received 1,820 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 7/28/2016

Without question there will be profuse bleeding from the site where the graft dislodged.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY