How do I tackle the post-op itch?

I just got my HT going on two days ago and my head is very itchy. I'm having trouble sleeping because I'm afraid I will start itching my head in my sleep. Does anyone have any tips for how to get relief from the itchiness without scratching?

I want to avoid accidentally itching my head and pulling out grafts, obviously. Would something like Benadryl help maybe?

HairThere,

The post-op "itch" is a very common phenomenon. It's due to a combination of things, but it is an annoyance for patients and causes concern and distress about potential graft dislodgement with scratching.

Two things that I tell my patients they can do:

1) You don't want to scratch with your fingers/nails. Not only in the crucial phase before the grafts are "anchored," but even during the healing after. Our fingers are loaded with bacteria, and we don't want to put any new bacteria onto the scalp as it's healing. If you do need to physically itch, I recommend wrapping a clean tissue around the finger, and using the tip -- which is now covered -- to manipulate the itchy areas. Sometimes patients just have to itch, and this should be fine with the tissue as long as the grafts are anchored. However, "tapping" with the tissue-covered finger is even better if you can get away with it.

2) The best solution, however, is something you already mentioned: anti-histamine medications (like Benadryl). These usually work wonders, and I recommend them to many patients experiencing the "post-op itch." Keep in mind that certain anti-histamines can cause drowsiness. If you are having trouble sleeping because of the itching, this might be perfect. However, you don't want to take a medication that could make you sleepy if you're working, driving, etc. So when you go to pick one up at the pharmacy, have the pharmacist help you select an anti-histamine that won't cause the drowsiness.

Hope this helps. Grow well.

Dr. Blake Bloxham is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network.

Hair restoration physician - Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

HairThere,

The post-op "itch" is a very common phenomenon. It's due to a combination of things, but it is an annoyance for patients and causes concern and distress about potential graft dislodgement with scratching.

Two things that I tell my patients they can do:

1) You don't want to scratch with your fingers/nails. Not only in the crucial phase before the grafts are "anchored," but even during the healing after. Our fingers are loaded with bacteria, and we don't want to put any new bacteria onto the scalp as it's healing. If you do need to physically itch, I recommend wrapping a clean tissue around the finger, and using the tip -- which is now covered -- to manipulate the itchy areas. Sometimes patients just have to itch, and this should be fine with the tissue as long as the grafts are anchored. However, "tapping" with the tissue-covered finger is even better if you can get away with it.

2) The best solution, however, is something you already mentioned: anti-histamine medications (like Benadryl). These usually work wonders, and I recommend them to many patients experiencing the "post-op itch." Keep in mind that certain anti-histamines can cause drowsiness. If you are having trouble sleeping because of the itching, this might be perfect. However, you don't want to take a medication that could make you sleepy if you're working, driving, etc. So when you go to pick one up at the pharmacy, have the pharmacist help you select an anti-histamine that won't cause the drowsiness.

Hope this helps. Grow well.

Thank you for the reply! Benadryl it is. I could use the drowsiness as well to help me sleep. I just ordered One-Day shipping on Amazon because I don't want to go to the store looking like this. So it should be here tomorrow. I cannot wait.

Also try using an aloe vera enriched cream and/or shampoo. That also can help dissipate the itching sensation.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Vitamin E oil helped me with post-op itch. It's a bit messy, but I would wear a towel around my shoulders while at the house.

Also another trick is to buy the Cool Touch Kleenex. The Cool Touch Kleenex is heavier than typical tissue. I found a lot of relief when I had post-op itch by gently waving a Cool Touch Kleenex back and forth, back and forth over the itch barely making contact where the itch is. Yes your arm gets tired, but it really helped at times and the tissue is so soft it really can't do damage, but it makes just enough contact to relieve the itch.

ezimba13626444141500.jpg

Dr. Dow Stough - 1000 Grafts - 1996

Dr. Jerry Wong - 4352 Grafts - August 2012

Dr. Jerry Wong - 2708 Grafts - May 2016

Remember a hair transplant turns back the clock,

but it doesn't stop the clock.

Im not sure why but my itch wasn't that bad but a buddy who went thru a transplant around the same time had serious itch and he found relief with an anti itch spray, apparently it was very gentle and made it bearable. You'd want to check with you doc to see if it'd be okay but my buddy was with Dr Diep and he ok'd it. Benadryl makes one.

• 4 months later...

What in the world was that?....:confused:

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

I could not even get that far!...:confused:

Gillenator

Smells like spam to me.... TLDR :P

I'm almost 3 months post op & I'm still itching!!! It's not as bad as it was within the 1st 2 months, but it's still annoying. It's usually when my head isn't covered &/or late at night. I've tried vitamin E with aloe.... It helps keep it moisturized, although I'm not sure if it helps with itching. Benadryl helps me fall asleep, but that's about it. But yah, I can't wait to get outta this itchy phase. Now that the hairs are starting to noticeably come in, it's itching again. So yay & nay at the same time.

2000 FUT with Dr Bernardino Arocha - August 2017

Nice to hear that you are experiencing some nice regrowth CG!...;)

Gillenator

• 4 weeks later...

Where are the moderators?

Gillenator

Nioxin shampoo and conditioner helped me a lot (especially the conditioner but you have to let it sit on your scalp for about 5 minutes in the shower before you rinse). Of course, that only helps for a little while so I ended up getting a few showers a day. Aloe Vera gel also helps with post-op itch. They were my life-savers when I went through surgery.

Best wishes,

Bill