Finasteride. Giving it a try?

I Had a 2000 graft FUE HT 2 years ago. I pretty much freaked the hell out after it, with the change to my appearance and all the adjustments in which I was NOT adequately informed of or prepared for. Hearing of the side effects of Fin I flipped the heck out (already psychologically in a fragile state) and refused to even try it. Well.... fast forward 2 years, my hair transplant has grown in pretty nicely overall, and I have certainly become more concerned about future hair loss behind the transplanted area.

I'm currently on biotin supplement, minoxidil foam and Keto. shampoo.

My hair loss has been very stable over the 2 years since the transplant, but I'm looking to get on a trial LOW dose Fin for some additional help in maintaining my native hair.

At least give it a try and see if I get side effects or not? I know without Fin my hair loss WILL progress the point of becoming more noticeable in probably another 3 years max.

If I can't take then fine, but at least I would feel I have done everything in my power to keep what hair I have since the HT.

I contacted my surgeon and made and appointment with him. The doctor said he normally prescribes 2.5mg every other day. I feel that's too high for me. I've never been 'tested' but I can tell I have a pretty low testosterone level and at 45 years old, it's only getting lower.

I'm considering more like a 1.25mg dose every M/W/F and then monitor for how my body responds. If I get any significant sides then I can abort the trial low dose Fin and hopefully recover fairly quickly. More interested in a low dose trial of Fin for maintenance purpose.

Any advice or suggestions would be much appreciated!

TY!

Fun fact, in Japan sometimes 0.2mg finasteride daily gets prescribed to patients, which can be increased to 1mg daily for androgenetic alopecia. They actually have 0.2mg propecia tablets over in Japan.

40455c48.jpg

0.2mg daily will actually inhibit pretty much the same in terms of serum DHT levels as 1mg daily.

However, 0.2mg daily will be less effective overall as 1mg daily. This is probably due to the difference between serum and local tissue levels, as DHT exerts its biological activity in an endocrine/paracrine/autocrine way to the androgen receptor at the hair follicle.

Point being is, yes there are certainly people who can "maintain" their hair with a lower dosage than 1mg daily.

Proud to be a representative of world elite hair transplant surgeon Dr. Bisanga - BHR Clinic.

Hairtransplantelite.com

YouTube

Online consultations: damian@bhrclinic.com

I have been taking 1.25 mg every other day for years with great results...;)

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Every other day is a good start. I take 1mg every day with no negative side effects. I'm using generic prescribed by my gp. $15 a month with insurance. Don't have to cut them.

Every other day is a good start. I take 1mg every day with no negative side effects. I'm using generic prescribed by my gp. $15 a month with insurance. Don't have to cut them.

Same here

3185 FUT with Dr. Rahal on 2/17/16

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/182611-fut-3185-dr-rahal-day-after-pics.html

1204 FUT with Dr. Rahal on 3/27/17

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/186586-round-2-rahal-1204-fut-frontal-third-same-area.html

---> total of 4389 grafts to my frontal third via FUT

---> 1mg finasteride daily since 1999:)

I did not know there was a generic at 1 mg. Still cutting the Proscar pill.

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

I Had a 2000 graft FUE HT 2 years ago. I pretty much freaked the hell out after it, with the change to my appearance and all the adjustments in which I was NOT adequately informed of or prepared for. Hearing of the side effects of Fin I flipped the heck out (already psychologically in a fragile state) and refused to even try it. Well.... fast forward 2 years, my hair transplant has grown in pretty nicely overall, and I have certainly become more concerned about future hair loss behind the transplanted area.

I'm currently on biotin supplement, minoxidil foam and Keto. shampoo.

My hair loss has been very stable over the 2 years since the transplant, but I'm looking to get on a trial LOW dose Fin for some additional help in maintaining my native hair.

At least give it a try and see if I get side effects or not? I know without Fin my hair loss WILL progress the point of becoming more noticeable in probably another 3 years max.

If I can't take then fine, but at least I would feel I have done everything in my power to keep what hair I have since the HT.

I contacted my surgeon and made and appointment with him. The doctor said he normally prescribes 2.5mg every other day. I feel that's too high for me. I've never been 'tested' but I can tell I have a pretty low testosterone level and at 45 years old, it's only getting lower.

I'm considering more like a 1.25mg dose every M/W/F and then monitor for how my body responds. If I get any significant sides then I can abort the trial low dose Fin and hopefully recover fairly quickly. More interested in a low dose trial of Fin for maintenance purpose.

Any advice or suggestions would be much appreciated!

TY!

Hi biolizard, I read some of your original posts on your FUE HT. You seemed very dissapointed in your results even until 1.5 years after the surgery. It's been 6 months since that post, but now I see that your more satisified with how things have turned out. Is there something that happened in the last 6 months? Did you see significant improvement after the 18 month mark?

Mine is Dr Reddy's

Do you purchase it online?

Gillenator

While there's no way to know for certain and to what degree, I do agree that a lot of the side effects many men experience are psychologically induced. I'm not suggesting that side effects aren't real and that those who have experienced them are just "making them up", but the placebo effect is a real scientific occurrence and when dealing with potential issues like impotency (which is already often attributed to stress and anxiety), just the mere suggestion of something like this happening is enough to trick our bodies into making it happen.

Give it a go with the lower dose and try your best not to think about it too much. Treat it as if you were taking a daily vitamin and don't let yourself become hyperaware of every little thing your body is doing and I think you'll be fine. Way more people take the medication without experiencing side effects than those that do, so the odds are in your favor. :)

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

While there's no way to know for certain and to what degree, I do agree that a lot of the side effects many men experience are psychologically induced. I'm not suggesting that side effects aren't real and that those who have experienced them are just "making them up", but the placebo effect is a real scientific occurrence and when dealing with potential issues like impotency (which is already often attributed to stress and anxiety), just the mere suggestion of something like this happening is enough to trick our bodies into making it happen.

Give it a go with the lower dose and try your best not to think about it too much. Treat it as if you were taking a daily vitamin and don't let yourself become hyperaware of every little thing your body is doing and I think you'll be fine. Way more people take the medication without experiencing side effects than those that do, so the odds are in your favor. :)

I agree, I think performance anxiety can give finasteride patients a negative placebo effect that they imagine, and blame their worked up sense of anxiety on the finasteride usage.

Particularly if the patient is under 40 when sexual impotence is almost always psychological in nature.

Hair loss patient and transplant veteran. Once a Norwood 3A.

Received 2,700 grafts with coalition doctor on 8/13/2010

Received 2,380 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 9/30/2011

Received 1,820 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 7/28/2016